[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240424_180631.jpg (10 KB, 348x161)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
what does the platoon sergeant do in combat deployments? what's his role and tasks?
>>
File: Platoon (1986).jpg (223 KB, 1023x689)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
Platoon leader is a (second) lieutenant (commanding officer) and platoon sergeant a non-commissioned officer to a section/squad. There's three to five NCO's and they serve as delegates to the CO
>>
Micromanaging 40+ soldiers at once isn't exactly easy so a platoon commander instead just talks to 4-5 NCOs and they, in turn manage people under their respective sections.
>>
>>61484276
Lmfao they fucked you man, sorry
>goes on 4chan for advice
I hope your an infantry nco thats fucking awesome
>>
In theory he provides consult and feedback to PlatCom and passes on orders.
In reality personalities matter so he could be anything from a shadow PlatCom to a lacky.
>>
>>61484276
For a basic example of his role.
Let's say some Green Berets roll up to a village in Afghanistan to do their usual handshakes and medicine business. Platoon Leader will go in with a squad while Platoon Sergeant stays back with a couple vehicles and takes charge of overwatch.

The Platoon Sergeant is the guy LT entrusts with taking the important duties he doesnt need to oversee
>>
>>61484276
They have sex with the female E-3s and E-4s.
>>
>>61484276
Still trying to figure out this whole NCO corps thing, Ivan?
>>
>>61484276
The platoon sergeant is the professional, the guy who has been doing the job for years and knows the job and the troops inside and out.
The LT is a college kid who majored in the job but has limited practical experience.
The LT gets an AO and a mission and a radio to keep in touch with the company commander as well as other local assets.
The platoon sergeant takes the mission orders and uses his experience to carry them out based on appropriate battle drills for the situation, personnel, and equipment on hand. Often this is accomplished by suggesting the proper course of action to the LT in such a way that the LT thinks it's his own idea.
The LT ensures that the platoon doesn't just find a safe place to marry the local hookers and finance used cars, and the platoon sergeant makes sure the LT doesn't get everyone killed. It's a delicate balance that keeps the platoon under just enough tension to keep moving toward the objective.
>>
>>61484346
as an example in the Platoon movie Lt is a young guy, Barnes is the platoon sergeant, Elias is one of squad leaders along with the guy from Scrubs and some black guy
>>
wrangles tards so the 2L doesn't have to
>>
Platoon sarge is like being super enlisted. Yeah you're no officer but your relation to the officer gives more gravitas to your instructions.
>>
>>61484579
Isn't their platoon only 30 guys? I thought there was only two sections/squads, two NCO's (Elias and Barnes), that Dr Cox and Junior were just lackeys to Barnes
>>
So is it fair to compare them to a Steward to their officer?
>>
>>61484372
i know, I'm not referring to the squad leaders, i mean the platoon sergeant, the senior NCO
>>
>>61484401
obsessed.
>>
>>61484661
in the beginning of the movie they hold a briefing and Elias and Cox argue over which section goes on an ambush
in Vietnam units were often understaffed so the small size of the squads is appropriate
>>
>>61484705
>Vietnam units were often understaffed
So their sections/squads could be small as 7/8 individuals including themselves? That makes sense, cheers
>>
>>61484705
the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apvKX97kDps
>>
>>61484753
I remember seeing this the other year, it all makes sense now!
>>
>>61484276
PSG plans sustainment, supply, casevac plan, CCPs, AXPs, runs CCPs, and may even take over the patrol entirely in the vent of mascal or casevac plan being enacted

he also is in charge of readiness, manning, putting boot to ass, mentoring and managing all the NCOs, and having more experience than the PL
>>
>>61484684
>PL gets orders from CO
>PL comes up with plan
>PSG unfucks it
>PL tells the squad leaders the plan
>PSG makes sure the SLs are actually do it
>>
>>61484681
Honestly yes. It's an important relationship for the development of both parties.
>>
>>61484401
Give it up man
>>
>>61484276
why does the leader get the holy hand grenade?
>>
>>61488731
To eliminate the platoon
>>
>>61484276
it depends on the dynamic between platoon leader and platoon SNCO, so know that there may of course be differences where you are, but in general:

SNCO oversees execution of orders, that means managing equipment, its distribution, maintenance, and keeping track of consumption. It means making sure the personal is healthy, anyone sick or injured is first a problem for the SNCO. Also managing platoon resting area (sorry english isn't my native language, this is the closest translation i have) is an SNCO thing.

Anything related to planning, is a commander problem. obviously that includes formulating a plan and revising it. Briefing the squad leaders and maybe the entire platoon is the commanders job. Personell management is the platoon commanders job, like making sure the troops have the relevant traning for their positions and they it is not out of date.

Again, this all depends on the personality of the platoon commander and SNCO, but if you want it in as broad trams as possible: Coming up with plans and procedures is the commander job. Ensuring that troops cand and do follow plans and procedures is the SNCO's job.
>>
>>61484401
Keep it up CHAD.
>>
>>61484684
He's there to tard wrangle the tard wranglers (the section leaders) and the kindergartener (the platoon leader)
>>
>>61492208
>>61491241

so the PL plans and supervises the execution, and the PS manages ammo, equipment, water/food levels and distribution, maintenance levels, makes the various papers for requesting the above to higher, inspections, CCPs and directs people to them, commands the body not commanded by the PL, advises the PL in its planning through it's more extensive experience, and expands the PL span of control by being an extension of him throughout the formation, like the PL being in front and the PS being in the tail, and surely something else I didnt mention
>>
>>61484276
What do you think ngger? The education and training paired of a CO paired with the experienced and competent NCO, think about it.
>>61484497
>>
>>61494500
fucked this up. ignore the first ''paired''.
>>
>>61494341
pretty much. I would say SNCO is also in charge of execution, to some extent.

it's the same structure in the squads really. squadleaders attend briefings, analyze the terrain on maps. and the squad corporal keeps the squad in check while loading and making ready for battle.
>>
Wrangling tards
>>
>>61484276
In our doctrine (insert tank force of a smaller european nation here) the platoon sergeant is the "mother of the platoon", basically he is responsible for (communcating up) any supply or maintenance needs of the platoon. He is also responsible for preperation of defensive positions or the base for the platoon, i.e. where does the tent go and where are fighting positions located the need be. The platoon leader only then checks that these are done correctly and may dictate some improvements or changes the need be.
Platoon sergeant is also responsible for all of the platoon's equipment and it's his job to make sure nothing is left behind.
In combat he commands one half of the tank platoon.
>>
>>61484276
>Platoon leader tells NCOs what needs to be done
>NCOs make sure the privates do it
>>
>>61498066
PL tells PS what needs to get done on their (officer tasks) and coordinates with the tasks the PS needs to have accomplished, then the PS tells the SL what the tasks are, orders coming down follow your direct chain of command, and the PL is still learning how to lead and all that jazz while working with the PS who probably has more than a decade of service more than them to provide experience
>>
>>61484497
Pretty much this. Add in Casevac and sustainment >>61486143
This guy gets it
>>
>>61500908
The PSG is the leader in all but name. The LT is in probation/on the job training for his real first officer job as a captain.
In theory NCOs could lead up through company level, arguably battalion level; but then they'd be wizened 90yo men by the time they ascended up the ranks to generals. Tactical and operational level are legitimately different skillsets. So is strategic level. So you have to fasttrack some guys by starting them at operational level.
>>
>>61484276
sergeants the platoon
>>
>ctrl+f babysitting
>0 results
Why not just give OP the answer?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.