[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: TM-46_AP-mine.jpg (3.84 MB, 2850x1880)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB JPG
Serious question,
Everyone has been talking about how the Ukrainians have been short on artillery shells which is a problem that might be solved within the next few months as production slowly ramps up.

However what I have noticed in recent video is that Ukrainian minefields appear much less dense than before.

Also I noticed that most western countries agreed several years ago not to make landmines anymore, effectively banning themselves from making landmines and permanently shutting down all factories. This is in particular true for anything smaller than anti tank mines.

So I am wondering
1) is Ukraine still well stocked with landmines and it's just having issues to deploy them as densely as before or they are running short?

2) which countries friendly to Ukraine still make landmines? (Anti personnel in particular)

3) is it hard to get a landmines factory up and running? Will the wester politicians which are very sensitive to the optics and country image even allow it? (Imagine decades from now images of kids with blown up feet and X country landmine blamed for it, as it always happens)

4) how the Ukrainians and the Russians have improved their tactics to deal with minefields? Did this war bring some improved tactics or new equipment?

5) could ground penetrating radar detect landmines?
>>
Ukraine inherited a massive stockpile of land mines from the Soviet Union. They supposedly destroyed a massive amount of their anti personnel mines due to their signature on the Ottawa treaty. That being said, they have received land mines from the US, France, Estonia, Sweden and the UK. It’s unlikely these countries will continue to produce mines or set up factories due to the political implications; but many of them still have large stockpiles destined for destruction so offloading them to someone else is likely a safer move politically.
>>
>>61488380
Clearance also becomes an issue as both sides of the front are under constant watch, GPR can and has worked in the past but is difficult to implement if you have to worry about the FPV swarm.
>>
>>61488380

Do any of the countries you mentioned still make AP mines? I don't know if they even make at mines any longer.

I think that the legal framework for making a landmine factory in the west is just blocking any possibility for manufacturing as of now.

The laws would need changing.

However I reckon it would be a great businesses opportunity exactly because the legal hurdles make competition artificially scarce.
>>
Any new developments on Anti mines strategy?
>>
>>61488320
>is Ukraine still well stocked with landmines
should be but no one knows until they start asking for them
>which countries friendly to Ukraine still make landmines?
Us still produces them. Italy still has a fuckton of them
is it hard to get a landmines factory up and running
yes
could ground penetrating radar detect landmines
depending on the tipe yes, but the portable versions of these radars are not very accurate, have a tiny range, usually only work on the ground directly under the instrument and are expensive (both as an item and the required training to properly operate them)
>>
>>61488545
Both Sweden, Finland and many others still produce AT-mines, and have large stockpiles of them. Restarting production of AP mines probably isnt gonna happen tho.
Plenty of eastern euro countries still has ex-soviet stockpiles probably or has transfered them to Ukraine
>>
>>61488320
saw some afghan guy make this ball that would blow up mines, why doesn't some one make like a rc car that weights the same as a man and just drive through an area setting mines off maybe even make a long plow that sets off mines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1CTXUmawQ
>>
>Landmines status
in the land
>>
>>61494134
>>61488320
i think of land mines every day some one should seriously consider making some kind of cheap way to take these out, unlike men after a war they will stay on and they end up harming children or just some random animal or people
>>
>>61488545
>>61491946
There's supposedly a large stockpile of certain parts that if combined would create effective ap mines.
t. Finn
>>
>>61494134
>>61494159
There's just no cheap and easy way to do it that anyone has figured out yet. Fastest and easiest option is the MICLIC but that has some limitations, obviously.
Something like that mine kafon thing would only work on simple AP mines. AT mines require a lot more weight to set them off.
>>
>>61496004
Would strafing the mines with something like a GAU-8 chew them up good?
>>
>>61496398
If explosive rounds were used it might be somewhat effective but probably less so than the MICLIC.
Methodically pounding the whole area with artillery fire would be better, but obviously it would be more expensive.
>>
>>61496665
WWI moonscapes suggest even in the most overturned areas you'll be finding stuff drift to the surface for hundreds of years. I'm sure it will help somewhat but also consider your artillery shells will also have duds.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.