[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: winnie vietnam.jpg (120 KB, 838x1024)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
What's something that war movies consistently get wrong?
>>
>>61492209
>Le US is BAD!
>everybody in platoon is le SAD!
>Dere is no glory in war!
>Da enemy is Hooman, nevermind the child soldier battalion
>What is reloading
>What is extensive communications before strike
>WeHaveNoComms trope
>There are no psychopaths/sociopaths in war
>>
File: Blank Firing Prop.webm (3.28 MB, 1920x1080)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB WEBM
>>
>>61492251
define glory in measurable terms
>>
>>61492263
The impact you make on your peers and subordinates.
Was it good? If yes, glory.
Was it bad? If yes, you're getting fragged
>>
>>61492209
>gets shot and falls straight down dead immediately
>gets shot and its just a clean through& through don't worry guys i'll be fine
>scenes where the whole squad is grouped up close to one another in one spot not doing any scouting or positioning and then open fire for attack/ambush
>enemy just bum rushes your position in droves to be mowed down
>can always immediately and easily tell where enemy gunfire is coming from
>how quickly air support responds
>how loud a gunfight is and how difficult it is to communicate during one
>how competent special forces are
>kill radius of grenades
>in movies people seldom get hit by shrapnel
>>
>>61492281
that's respect not glory
>>
>>61492302
What's the difference?
>>
File: 1490176099412.png (498 KB, 444x583)
498 KB
498 KB PNG
>>61492209
>not waiting all day
>not doing tons of paperwork
>not always having to spend 30 minutes listening to an idiot tell you how to do the thing he couldn't do for the life of him, but you do every day
>not spending hours watching the same fucking social program lectures of how not to rape someone
>not having to pretend you don't even curse when you're alone when in front of brass
>not spending the whole day jacking off, watching anime, and throwing rocks at other rocks
etc
for a non-modern time, just do the same thing, but with a different subject, like instead of anime, its pinups, and instead of rape courses, its not sticking your finger in an electrical socket
>>
>>61492317
Glory is a sense of enlightened renown and worship to the level of deification . Respect is admiration for someone earned in recognition of their act or abilities. This is a somewhat nuanced distinction for an ESL such as yourself to fully comprehend, so don't be too hard on yourself if you can't quite grasp it.
>>
>>61492338
>>spending the whole day jacking off, watching anime, and throwing rocks at other rocks
Goddamn it I miss that
>>
>>61492209
the sheer unrelenting boredom. One reason I think The Big Red One is the greatest war film ever made is that it spends just as much time showing you the utter ball ache most of deployment is because there's shit and fuck all that needs to be done 90% of the time and you're stuck with a bunch of gimp retards you don't particularly give a shit about but you might have to watch die anyway.
the movie perfectly captures the complete swing between driveling inanity and pointless horror
>>
Most war movies don’t even mention drinking white monsters and playing hearthstone on your phone for three hours a day, and yet that’s what I did as a Ranger
>>
>>61492209
>characters are supposedly 18-25(ish) year old who were normal civvies a couple weeks ago
>portrayed by rough n tough looking meat mountains in their 30-40s
>except the sergeant, he looks like he's 58
>>
>>61492209
War is actually boring as shit. Generation Kill and Jarhead got it right. Band of Brothers is overly sappy boomer sepia tone bullshit
>>
>>61492409
Brilliant writing
https://youtu.be/zWyBrUvXLcc?si=O-VKcnx62UhK6vZA
>>
>>61492209
r*ssian competency
>>
File: 1704226793223605.jpg (38 KB, 500x503)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>61492263
high renown or honor won by notable achievements.
Examples:
>Audie Murphy and his courageous defense within a smoldering tank
>Bul Allen who literally ducked under gun fire numerous times just to shlep wounded men to safety
>Desmond doss kinda, noble but ultimately naive still chad
>Henry Johnson who fucked up numerous Krauts under duress

Glory within war is to ultimately save your men, withhold the enemy valiantly, sacrificing yourself for the greater good, or courageously smack back when its seemingly in vain and turning the tide.

We live in an era without heroic death. Glory within war is real, but too morbid to be accepted.
>>
>>61493520
John Baslione for his actions at Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima as well.
>>
>>61493579
Even outside of America there's numerous examples of the Gallant.

If you act for yourself, you are a grunt. If you act for your men, you are a hero.
>>
>>61493593
Oh yeah for sure. I was just pointing out one example out of thousands of instances of glory. Asking to define glory in measurable terms is stupid because it's often tied up in the intangible. Even enemy combatants (whoever they may be) can have instances of glory, it's not just exclusive to the winning side. Some may be embellished sure but throughout human recorded history there is an enumerable counts of bravery, glory and heroic figures fighting and even dying for their brothers.
>>
>>61492469
Reminds me of the Steven Seagal movie where him and Rob Van Dam are elite spec ops guys in their fucking 50s-60s, so they had to bring in a guy that's 80 years old to play a Lt. Col.
>>
>>61492378
>0330 in Iraq
>woobie wrapped snugly around me as I wait for my PRC crypto keys to fill
>the fumes of all the vehicles in the convoy staging lane wakes me up as I munch on dry cereal washed down with wild tiger on the hood of my humvee
>three marines got pasted on this section of Tampa only a couple days ago, you should've gone to fucking college retard.
>fuck it, nobody back home is gonna care if I get blown up anyways. We ball.
>suddenly a pair of hands wraps around my waist and I feel the heat of another man's embrace from behind (convoy cuddles aren't gay btw)
>it's my gunner
>"hey bro, you doing alright?"
>yeah... I'm doing just fine.
>>
>>61492945
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFucTJNpCg
>it's just wonna yer balls, Smitty
>ats why they gave ya two
>>
File: 1496823907018.png (412 KB, 558x744)
412 KB
412 KB PNG
>>61493636
>Asking to define glory in measurable terms is stupid because it's often tied up in the intangible.
I think that is the point homie was trying to make, but he made the mistake of assuming dudes on 4chan would pick up on subtle shitposting.
>>
>>61492209
Every war movie now being a Vietnam war movie. The war changes but everyone acts like late Vietnam war conscripts. You’ll have forces that, as reflected in diaries, letters, and reports, were high morale and extremely passionate about their cause being portrayed as unwilling sad-sacks who have “no idea what they’re even fighting for”. Kinda like >>61492251 said.

It’s not really a war movie but Gangs of New York does this a bit of this, with a song that isn’t Irish and isn’t from the American Civil War
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ns-qtoxnAS8&pp=ygUlcGFkZHkncyBsYW1lbnRhdGlvbiBnYW5ncyBvZiBuZXcgeW9yaw%3D%3D
>>
>>61495829
>with a song that isn’t Irish and isn’t from the American Civil War
What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>61495910
Paddy’s lamentation, the song that plays in the video.
>>
>>61493826
Confirming convoy cuddles are non homosexual in nature
>>
>>61495829
>Every war movie now being a Vietnam war movie. The war changes but everyone acts like late Vietnam war conscripts. You’ll have forces that, as reflected in diaries, letters, and reports, were high morale and extremely passionate about their cause being portrayed as unwilling sad-sacks who have “no idea what they’re even fighting for”.
I hated Fury, too. annoying fucking movie.
>>
>>61492209
In pretty much any aviation or naval combat movie the ships are way, way too fucking close together. But they have to be since you couldn't get them in frame otherwise.
>>
>How much admin shit typically goes into organizing things.
>Plans that are just three sentences like "You go here, I go here, and you go here". Not the multi-paragraph, hundred slide Powerpoint monstrosities real plans turn into.
>How fucking exciting it is

>>61492251
>>61495829

As these two point out, the woe-as-me faggotry. My deployment was in an SF unit (was a POG but got to leave the wire on multiple occasions). Most of these dudes were fucking combat junkies. And frankly, the handful of times where real shit was going down, I never felt more existentially alive. You really cannot comprehend just how "right" it feels until you've done it. All the nihilistic crap from civilized life (that's really a byproduct of being disconnected from the way your distant ancestors lives) just evaporates.

This isn't to say it's all cool; bad shit happens and it eats at you. But every liberal Hollywood director/screenwriter turns all the characters into mopey, whiney faggots (like themselves), or deranged deviants.

Also, the idea of "wAr iS hElL" and that you start to empathize with your enemy and your "cOmMoN hUmAnItY" is also bullshit. The kinds of people who believe this shit have never had to see the ugly side of cultural conflict. Their idea of blending culture is to have a bunch of ethnic restaurants and some mostly assimilated DEI people in their cosmopolitan cities. Getting up close and personal with an actual foreign culture where they do shit that is reprehensible by the standards of your own will teach you genuine fucking contempt. You won't start crying over "cOmMoN hUmAnItY" when the ISIS or Taliban fucks you're hunting down rape children, torture people, and generally act like fucking dicks. The vague similarities you have in universal human habits will make you fucking hate them more, as you fail to comprehend how someone you allegedly share the same species with is so devoid of conscience.
>>
File: mechpilotupset.jpg (111 KB, 1280x692)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>61496290
Yeah. People are too stupid to conceive that a human can simultaneously think
>war is hell and my country has done wrong
and also
>I fucking hate the "other" side

Lots of the Iraq vets I know were pissed off about being lied to but still had little sympathy for the Iraqis. They either knew it was wrong to begin with or came to realize it later but they still despised the Iraqi people and to a larger extent Arabs as a whole.Humans are more complex. Hollywood likes the "War is Hell" thing because it subverts the thousands of years of the universal glorification of war but it throws to the wayside some of the reasons why the common man chooses to fight.

"War is Hell" usually carries the implication that if only everyone could experience war then war would not happen. If we had knowledge of how bad war is then we wouldn't fight. War only results due to ignorance. Needless to say this completely ignores human nature and the people that take pleasure or meaning in war
>>
>>61496345
To clarify: I'm not saying war isn't hell but theres a very stupid way of doing "war is hell"

If you wanna do it the smart way you need to factor in the fact that people like Ernst Jünger exist
>>
>>61492209
Not enough goofy retards that are remarkably competent at their jobs. BoB and GK did a good job on that end though.
>>61496290
This man is correct.
>tfw the locals offer your buddy a cow to fuck
>tfw it happens twice one one week
If you’ve seen one shithole with nothing but pregnant 14 year old girls you’ve seen them all.
>>
>>61496345
>>61496353

I do think people in the latter parts of GWOT began to just deploy for fundamentally selfish reasons. It was quite obvious the war was "lost", in the sense that we'd never get the mopes embezzling our money to act civilized and build a country. The illiterate retards on the other side, while too incompetent to beat us on the battlefield, could tolerate getting BTFO'd continually and knew that eventually when we went home they could take power from the weaklings we left in charge.

To the Americans who went, it basically became an excuse to go over there and kick ass. The Taliban, insurgents, ISIS, etc. were unlikeable, and even if they were going to win in the end, the combat junkies just wanted a chance to fucking bleed them. It was also like a rite of passage; a way to get combat/operational experience. An OIC of mine described late stage Afghanistan as effectively "live fire JRTC".

>>61496357

Some locals offered $300 to buy a short Puerto Rican kid in my unit. When the ODA refused ("He's not for sale"), the weirdo offering the money got sour grapes and said, "He's too old anyways" and stormed off.
>>
>>61496391

(I will also conclude that I avoided 80% of the bullshit at JRTC and it was a fraction of the length of my deployment, and I still think JRTC is one of the most miserable times I've ever had in the Army. "Live fire JRTC" was way fucking cooler.)
>>
File: 1652139797948.png (454 KB, 697x360)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
>>61496391
I never deployed but I was in for the last few years of Afghanistan. There was this attitude that you did it for "the people to your left and right"

That always bothered me because "the people to my left and right" are here for the same reasons that I am, which are selfish. Its circular. Sticking it out for your comrades is something you would tell yourself if the pretenses under which you joined suddenly changed (Joined to get revenge for 9/11 in Afghanistan only to later invade Iraq) or you were incurred some sort of moral injury and needed a reason to not kill yourself.

Nobody in the generation I joined with should've been blind to the lies. We all had the hindsight of Iraq and Afghanistan. Everyone should've known what they signed up for no matter how ugly and self serving it was. We all had the internet. I'm here for college and so are the guys next to me. Everyone sort of knew it was morally bankrupt (themselves included) but I sort of resigned myself to thinking "all of this nastiness was going to happen with or without my participation so I might as well take advantage of it and get a better life"

That sounds awful to say but its the truth
>>
>>61496425
if not college than some reason other than dubious Patriotism
>>
>>61496425

"The man next to you" is some lame cliche shit the DoD made them insert into the script of Black Hawk Down to try and do some face saving for that whole debacle.

But the kind of camaraderie/fun you can have in a good unit is unlike any you'll have elsewhere. It's possible to just be completely apathetic about the grand overarching goals of a campaign (which were dreamed up by some braindead and/or delusional people half a world away), and just enjoy the ride with some likeminded individuals.

I don't blame anyone who joined the military to get ahead in life. The people who did it for the adventure/thrill did it for a different flavor of selfish reason.
>>
File: 1699880294214943.jpg (53 KB, 455x564)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>61496457
>But the kind of camaraderie/fun you can have in a good unit is unlike any you'll have elsewhere
I'm coming to terms with the fact I mostly missed out on that and that I also squandered what little of it I got. I wish I wasn't such an angsty faggot teen so long into my 20s. Whatever I'm out and I'll have the rest of my life to stir over it
>>
>>61492295
>how competent special forces are
This is by design. The Psyop that SOCOM are all super deadly ninjas in a propaganda victory of the highest order, and largely why these films exist.
>>
>>61496402
>JRTC
Whats wrong the the JRTC?
>>
>>61492338
STD and lady-boy awareness video era vet here, this formula checks out.
>>
>>61496493

Eh, grass is greener. Being in combat junkie land was fucking cool, but it absolutely cost a lot of happiness in other parts of my life. Don't sweat what you thought you missed out on; there are opportunity costs to doing the cool shit. And every combat junkie in denial about that will then show cognitive dissonant when he bitches about the divorce he went through or being estranged from people who once loved him.

If you get out to do something better with your time then sit around a motorpool, don't feel bad about it.

>>61496538

Little known fact about the American South is that certain pockets of it have some of the worst fucking climates on Earth. Absolutely incapable of moderation. It's like a motherfucking lightswitch, changing from miserable, muggy, humid, mosquito ridden heat to ball-chilling frigid awful cold in a matter of a single day. JRTC is in one such pocket of awfulness, where neither Spring nor Fall exist, only cruel Winter and blistering Summer.

Add the fact that you're getting dicked with by an OPFOR who runs around these woods for a living, gets sent to crazy amounts of schools during their off-cycles so they can master kicking your ass, and are given effectively unlimited fire support and the tactical challenges ends up being grinding and unfair. (Also, the OC/Ts are not impartial. They will set you up to facilitate certain planned training evolutions, which means leading you into a trap that any smart tactician could reasonably avoid).

The real fucking ass kicker, aside from the drudgery of getting curb stomped in uncomfortable woods for weeks is that the food, your number one source of comfort and morale in trying times, sucks ass. Literally the worst food I ever ate my entire time in the Army. JRTC food is absolutely unpalatable in bizarre and paradoxical ways (meals will sometimes be both undercooked and burned to a crisp, for example). The menu they serve is limited in variety; not that it matters because all of it sucks.
>>
>>61496609

There were NUMEROUS examples of the OC/Ts dicking with the force, some of which are inane, bureaucratic, and retarded. But I'll share a straightforward one.

This particular JRTC session a BCT from the 82nd was going to parachute into the box and fight their way across it. They were taking off in C-17s/C-130s from South Carolina and flying all the way to Louisiana to jump. They had a set time on target (TOT).

The OPFOR had a simulated SAM system, which would have blown up the entire BCT in the sky. In the scenario, the SF team had to infiltrate and disable the SAM to enable follow on forces. This is a pretty realistic, doctrinally appropriate mission for SOF.

The smart way to do this (which was literally the first thing the ODA thought of) would be to take some Carl Gustafs, sneak up to the edge of the woodline where this SAM was located, blow the fucking thing up from 500 meters away, and then run off into the night, mission accomplished. The OC/Ts would not do that. They INSISTED that the ODA had to assault the SAM position (where big fucking shocker, a massive gunfight would break out). The EOD guy (who was assigned to the ODA, so not an OC/T) did the math about how big a "boom" the SAM system would produce if they set charges. The OC/Ts told them they had to set a short fuse otherwise the OPFOR's QRF would disable the charges; big shocker, the proposed fuse timer was so short that they would have blown themselves up setting charges.

Thus the OC/Ts demanded that their plan to disable the SAM was literally to dismantle the hydraulic system of the TEL (a plan which would force them to stay on the X long enough for multiple rounds of OPFOR counterattacks).

In the end, I think the ODA just briefed a fake CONOP to the OC/Ts, brought along some Carl Gs anyways, then when they got the woodline just said "FUCK YOU!" and shot the SAM from a standoff distance anyways. But that kind of sabotage to get you into preplanned gunfights/scenarios is common.
>>
>>61496290
Combat junkies already sound like deranged deviants
>>
>>61496687

Sure, but they aren't deranged deviants in a shitty war movie kind of way where they're weird sadistic fucks (like a Hans Landa) or overt madmen (like a Colonel Kurtz). It's just another flavor of adrenaline junkie, just participating in gunfights rather than BASE jumping or something like that.

I don't think your average person on the street would be able to tell there's something off with these guys; because they present mostly as regular dude bros. It's while abroad that the super overt combat blueballs starts presenting.
>>
>>61496290
It’s interesting reading accounts of union soldiers from the north gradually growing in contempt for southerners as the realities of slavery became apparent to them. You can track in real time the growing hostility.

One memorable account of a sergeant seeing what he perceived to be a white girl on the auction block. Upon enquiry he was informed that she was mixed and that her master was also her father, who was selling her. He proclaimed that he would fight until hell froze over, then cut through the ice to fight on. You rarely see that sort of attitude portrayed in modern war films.
>>
File: chuckling hans landa.webm (2.86 MB, 1920x800)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
>>61496733
>Hans Landa
>combat junkie
>>
>>61495829
>Every war movie now being a Vietnam war movie. The war changes but everyone acts like late Vietnam war conscripts. You’ll have forces that, as reflected in diaries, letters, and reports, were high morale and extremely passionate about their cause being portrayed as unwilling sad-sacks who have “no idea what they’re even fighting for”. Kinda like >>61492251 said.

No one show this guy diary entries of French soldiers from 1917 openly praising the Kaiser and hoping Germany won because they had become so sick of the fighting that they would rather suffer total defeat than have the war go on another day.
>>
>>61496290
>>61496775

Maybe it was just his specific experience but a friend of mine served in Afghanistan as a trainer for the ANA and he was unironically rooting for the Taliban by the end and has said on multiple occasions that if he could live his life over again, he'd unironically pull a John Walker Lindh and fight on their side instead.

And he's not some /pol/tard neither, he's pretty much middle of the road on everything, except the Taliban.
>>
>>61496938
Why? Portraying the French army of 1917, which would engage in mass mutiny, as miserable and at their wits end would be reasonable and accurate. Extending that sentiment to every fighting force in every conflict as such is not.
>>
>>61492409
It was based on the director's own experiences as a soldier in 1ID, which is why it feels real.
>>
>>61496391
>Live fir JRTC

Had 2/75 SSG in my JoFEC course describe post drawn down Afghanistan as "America's medium risk training environment."
>>
>>61496425
>I'm here for college and so are the guys next to me. Everyone sort of knew it was morally bankrupt
>That sounds awful to say but its the truth
Is it though? I'd argue that most people make their choices in society mosty based on selfish desires and needs and nothing about that is wrong in of itself. We just like to argue for our morality , or lack of an ability to change things, because it makes us feel better an dmore at ease with our choices.
Doesn't mean that acting that way is awful though.
>>
>>61492251
Fpbp
Hollywood is 100% noguns and war is le bad, even while producing war flicks, and their portrayals will forever be slanted that way, always remember that
>>
>>61496345
Zeon is clownshoes evil, trying to make them sympathetic is ridiculous when they openly wiped out most of humanity in both Earth and Space with gas and dropped colonies.

Japs shill for them of course since they are Imperial Japan IN SPACE (With germanish uniforms and names for their weapons), thus all their war crimes didn't count and their cause is glorious to commit genocide for in your giant gas-spraying zaku.
>>
>>61495829
>a song that isn’t Irish
clearly written by Italians and Jews instead
>and isn’t from the American Civil War
it was written and sung while men from the Civil War were just barely reaching middle age, that's close enough
>>
>>61496391
>Some locals offered $300 to buy a short Puerto Rican kid in my unit. When the ODA refused ("He's not for sale"), the weirdo offering the money got sour grapes and said, "He's too old anyways" and stormed off.
By Lemmy, they know their QUALITY CABANA BOYS
>>
>>61496908
tsk. nta, but you're nitpicking.

just switch Lanza with Animal Mother.
>>
File: zeonneedsyou.jpg (77 KB, 530x637)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>61497777
what a waste of digits on such a misguided post.
your soul is weighed down by gravity
>SEIG ZEON!
>SEIG ZEON!
>SEIG ZEON!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVnZZ1sFIc
>>
>>61492209
That soldiers hate combat. Soldiers fucking love combat and hate boring ass moments of peace where all they do is jerk off, watch movies, and play video games.
>>
>>61497777
>four 7s make a swastika
WTF I love Zeon now
>>
>>61492251
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>61492209
war

Fortunately war is closing in on being a livestream so we won't need a fake soap opera to go with it.
>>
>>61496391
>Some locals offered $300 to buy a short Puerto Rican kid in my unit.

Ragheads be like that. They tried to rent one of our blonde male Airmen in Bahrain at the Hunter's Lodge bar. Our suggestion he take one for the beer fund was rejected.

Much further back, my bro who enlisted in the 1950s (retiring long before my time) was at Wheelus where they would take a taxi downtown to rent whores (who wore their ninja shit while fucking because showing their face was haram). A couple of troops got jumped and while one escaped the other got turned out by the locals and was thereafter exempt from deployment to the Middle East.
>>
>>61492209
that it’s hell
>>
>>61499094
>the judge murdering a pack of indians
>>
>>61498434
Animal Mother wasn't portrayed as sadistic. Just brutish and war hardened.
>>
>>61496425
Not really. The more one encounters ragheads the less empathy results.

The big mistake most make is to join expecting glory instead of a bit of fun. A career opportunity with early retirement which matters infinitely more in real life than anything else. Grunts do not benefit much from war because their valor is squandered. It is squandered because America cannot produce many or listen to any people who object to futile strategically unsupportable constabulary wars.

Constabulary wars require winning hearts and minds so they fail. The enemy has eternal initiative because they live there. Every war in A-stan was constabulary which is why every great power who tried it lost in terms of attaining their goals.

Enlisting to get ahead in life was THE key reason in the draft era. Containing Stalin and Mao was often major and of course legitimate. If a military career AND not being squandered interests you, choose the Air Force or Navy or Coast Guard. There will always be someone else happy to fill ground combat slots. Of course since most of a typical career is spent under peacetime conditions in CONUS if you care about job stuff like quality of life planning accordingly is wise.

4chan skews young and on the spectrum so it gets what it gets.

>>61496609
>Little known fact about the American South is that certain pockets of it have some of the worst fucking climates on Earth.

^Truth. Also mosquitos, ticks and other nibbly things that feed on people.
>>
>>61492251
>WeHaveNoComms trope
Nah, that's accurate to the point the individual is trained to expect the radio won't work.
>>
>>61492209
>What's something that war movies consistently get wrong?
The Germans.
>>
>>61492295
>enemy just bum rushes your position in droves to be mowed down
Depending on which war you are talking about this can be true.
>>
>>61492338
>throwing rocks at other rocks
Good times.
>>
File: 1691470690519278.jpg (16 KB, 500x250)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>61496425
I think it's interesting to now how that attitude was shared by the line ANA/Iraqi army guys as well, the whole "this is stupid, I'm just here for an easy paycheck, I just want to go home and fuck my wife."
I'm glad the Iraqis found a sense of purpose kicking out ISIS, shame the ANA could never figure it out.
I watched that documentary on PBS following around the Nineveh police department during the fighting in Mosul and felt so proud to watch the same guys that couldnt even do jumping jacks and had spent the entirety of OIF bungling around finally nutting up and kicking ass.
There was a scene in the documentary where the Iraqis liberate a neighborhood and a group of civilians run out of a basement and start hugging the cops, saying they saved their lives and they'll name their children after the guys. I felt proud for the Iraqis but at the same time I felt so mad that I never got that reaction from anyone when I was over there. Granted, I never expected it, but everything was so fucked up back then. Maybe if we cared more things would have turned out differently. Or not.
Blogpost over.
>>
>>61496775
>growing in contempt for southerners as the realities of slavery became apparent to them.
Which propaganda piece did you read this from?
>>
>>61499181
>Constabulary wars require winning hearts and minds so they fail.
Most insurgencies fail. The US itself has won insurgencies in the Philippines, Central America and elsewhere many times. Your thesis is moronic and betrays either ideological conviction over facts, a surface level understanding sprinkled with in vogue terminology ("constabulary wars") or more likely both.
Communism is a failed ideology.
>>
>>61497025
> he's pretty much middle of the road on everything
Ah yes the NPC gets an opinion and it's contrarian. Very brave, stunning even.
>>
>>61498836
What was Zeon's problem again? I know it varies by show but generally?
>>
>>61499216
even the germans get the germans wrong
>>
File: 1524937095487.jpg (2.22 MB, 1920x1227)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
>>61499292
Zeon arose from one of the Earth's space colonies. The progenitor of the organization originally started it under peaceful intentions, as he viewed Earth as something that needed protecting. He and other spacenoids also felt disenfranchised as many were shipped to space unwillingly, and he forwarded the idea that spacenoids were a new kind of human. Once he rose to power in the colony he declared independence. After he died due to a likely assassination, the Zabi family rose to power, and they were the ones that brought militarism to the forefront. The republic overnight turned into a totalitarian dictatorship. The rest is kino.
>>
>>61496938
>VIETNAM ISN'T THE ONLY WAR EVER WITH TROOPS THAT HAVE BAD MORALE
yeah we know you giga faggot
>>
>>61492209
A lot of them make everyone too old. The movie will have some salt and pepper haired platoon sergeant and grizzled 30 year old privates. Like, in the military people over 30 get old man jokes while anyone over 40 is some wizened and decrepit creature telling stories of the "before times." The squad leader should be a mid 20s guy leading a gaggle of teenagers and early 20-somethings.
>>
File: 1675090731749352.jpg (56 KB, 620x767)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>61499181
>If a military career AND not being squandered interests you, choose the Air Force or Navy or Coast Guard

I will second this. Its a toss up whether or not you get put in a relevant theater in the AF but the Navy is one of the best parts for maintaining US hegemony and the world status quo. Coast guard goes without saying because they're largely homeland defense ie serach and rescue, wrangling Mexicans. My short time in service was entirely devoted to making the relationship building in the east and hurting the feelings of Chinese people and I have zero shame in doing either of those things. The Chinese get on my nerves so much that I continue to fight them for free on the internet
>>
>>61499292
Extremely brutal methods to the point that it's nigh impossible to unironically support them
When your opening move in a war is to A) gas an entire colony of neutral civilians and B) crash it into Earth to try and obliterate the Earth government (along with a few billion people that happen to be in the surrounding continents) it's hard to take you seriously when you say you just want spacenoid rights
>>
>>61499400
Based. Minihan said it best: if you see a chinaman, unload a full clip and aim for the head. Fuck chang.
>>
>>61499400
>The Chinese get on my nerves so much that I continue to fight them for free on the internet
Serious question, would this be the case if the Chinese abandoned "wolf warrior" diplomacy and general dickishness?
>>
File: 1659692453730882.jpg (117 KB, 1225x1026)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>61499487
The Chinese wouldn't get on my nerves if they didn't cry so much. I think being around Japanese, Koreans and Philps made some of their racism rub off on me but I would tolerate them if they didn't cry about not being able to be an un-opposed imperial power. They bitch about the US but not because they think US Imperialism is morally wrong, instead the bitch about US Imperialism because they want their turn to fuck shit up after hundreds of years of humiliation. Again they do not care about the US violating smaller countries, they are just jealous because they themselves are not allowed to do the same. At least the Russians have the pigheadedness to be retarded
>>
Few people are willing to confront the fact that a sizable amount of humanity enjoys killing or would enjoy killing if they had the opportunity to do it. Not everyone is like that of course, but I would say that a majority of people are.
I think so many directors/authors/etc. end up making war stories that look like what >>61492251 describes because they don't want to confront this reality. Read old stories about war, especially stuff written before 1900. What >>61496290 talks about feeling in combat is something you find in stories dating all the way back to Antiquity.
Humans enjoy killing.
>>
>>61499594
What was so uniquely bad about warfare 1900's forward that changed things?
>>
>>61499602
I'd say the impersonal nature of it. Hardly universal though. Still plenty of people who enjoyed killing.
>>
>>61492469
For WW2 movies/tv shows this is fine and realistic. Look at any given photo of a soldier of that era and 80% of the time that 20 year old looks to be in his mid 40s. Growing up in the depression with poverty/near poverty level nutrition, heavy smoking and drinking, and working long hours outdoors will do that
>>
>>61499364
correct
>>61499407
incorrect. Spacenoids are the new master race, they come from outer space. Earthnoid shits get the drop, 0079 a fuck
>>
File: 1572982927373.gif (73 KB, 675x227)
73 KB
73 KB GIF
>>61497777
>giant gas-spraying zakups8rwd
>>
>>61492409
Honestly I didn't like Big Red One. Something about its no-budget TV movie quality leaked into everything about the movie for me. I didn't get the same feeling from other cheap movies like 84 Charlie Mopic.
>>
>>61492251
>>Le US is BAD
This but unironically
>>
>>61492209
No gay sex between soldiers.
>>
>>61500125
nah. as a non-american I realized that if any country could intervene on any other and play world sheriff, they would do so without any second thought. US being bad is just sour grapes from third-worlders.
>>
>>61500323
I tend to agree with this and in fact most countries would be a lot worse in my opinion. Americans tend not to require overt shows of submission, which perennially butthurt bully countries like Russia and China would.
>>
>>61492409
This, desu. I've never seen any of the film adaptations of it but Catch-22 really captured that feeling.
>>
>>61492251
fippybippy, they are just humans after all, don't put the blame on them.
as is the case with every other topic of daily life - an authentic war movie would be he absolutely most boring shit to watch, hadn't they put an emphasis on the drama.
most of the times it's about how cleverly they used the dramatization of certain aspects. finding a good middle between boring trash and silly fantasy is the goal
>>
>>61500323
retard
>>
>>61499602
>What was so uniquely bad about warfare 1900's forward that changed things?
At least two separate major changes. First, military front: Mechanization, industrialization, total war, awful shit like chemical weapons, just a real dehumanization in general. Human factors, strength and skill and experience, never were the only thing in fighting, and neither are they irrelevant today. But in WW1 and onward era they took a decisive back seat to logistics, technology, and so on. Leadership really started thinking about forces purely in terms of "human resources" same as fuel or ammo or whatever, pure numbers. And threw away tons and tons of men worthlessly into artillery and HMGs and so on. People had to sit in trenches amid rot and mud wearing awful primitive chemical protection as everyone tried to gas each other as well, and yeah a real era of true, true shit, with no down time at all. Plus meanwhile civilians are getting brutalized in all areas to a degree higher then ever.

And speaking of civilians, second factor isn't about warfare per se but that civvie life got way, way better. Pre-1900s average life expectancy was awful by modern standards anyway, no antibiotics, tons of people in back breaking labor or brutal conditions of one kind or another anyway. But in the same era as warfare got worse, civvie life got vastly better. And pay sky rocketed too, as did labor conditions, general respect etc. More and more people also started to get more separated from ag roots and hunting and slaughtering animals and so on, food is something you get from the store.

So yeah combine all that and it drove new philosophy and morality ideas and so on as well and things changed a great deal. Also at least for the US Military, it's been short sightedly slow in adapting in a lot of ways.
>>
>>61499487
>Serious question, would this be the case if the Chinese abandoned "wolf warrior" diplomacy and general dickishness?
nta but while sure that's also like saying
>if the chinese turned into completely different people and civilization would you feel about them differently
and sure of course we would. but being dicks is like, core, it's not any one thing it's how a lot of them are in all their interactions with foreigners and even each other, everyone trying to scramble over everyone to get ahead, it's wild. and this simmering victim complex yet also somehow superiority complex added in, even as they gleefully steal (but it's ok because they have the mandate of heaven and everything in the world should be theirs anyway).
>>
File: Ausfags BTFO.gif (892 KB, 500x281)
892 KB
892 KB GIF
>>61496345
Excellent post, have a (you).

>>61496391
I agree. I enlisted well after we merk'd Bin Laden, which itself was well after we realized that Saddam didn't have WMDs. At risk of turning this into my personal blog, I never had any delusions that I'd be spreading democracy or anything like that, I just wanted to prove myself as a man and thought that earning the title of Infantryman and taking contact sounded fun. I did deploy but no combat, whatever I guess. I feel like the decline of idealism in the US armed forces is going to have a bunch of repercussions down the road.

>>61496775
Sauce on that?

>>61497025
Please go on. Was he told to look the other way in regards to Bachi Bazi etc. or other things?

>>61497777
*Braps in your space colony*

CLEAN IT UP FEDJANNY
>>
File: Spurdos execute commies.jpg (891 KB, 3332x2072)
891 KB
891 KB JPG
>>61499271
>Communism is a failed ideology.
Based, but what does that have to do with anon's post?
>>
>>61499400
>My short time in service was entirely devoted to making the relationship building in the east and hurting the feelings of Chinese people and I have zero shame in doing either of those things. The Chinese get on my nerves so much that I continue to fight them for free on the internet

Based. What did you do? Intel? Public relations? Why do you hate them so much?
>>
>>61496345
>Yeah. People are too stupid to conceive that a human can simultaneously think
>>war is hell and my country has done wrong
>and also
>>I fucking hate the "other" side
This is true in general, there's a real issue on all sides of society at this point in dealing with any sort of complexity in human psychology. People can do amazing things and still be assholes in other things, or have beliefs that align sometimes and diverge others, or simultaneously be victims and aggressors or whatever. Some homeless bum with a serious mental illness who then attacks people can be worthy of empathy, like yeah we've absolutely fucked up in America when it comes to mental health care, but simultaneously be a threat that needs to be dealt with. Cops can be bastards and that needs addressing but that doesn't mean coddling criminals either.

Dunno quite why so many people have a hard time handling a few things in their heads at once, or why everything seems to be such a pendulum between extremes sometimes vs settling on a middle.
>>
>>61501899
Most people are NPCs, unironically.
>>
>>61492209
There will be no standoff where you face down your enemy before shooting. You'll get shot out of nowhere and you'll have no idea where the fuck they are, if you get shot at then you'll likely never see the person shooting at you.
>>
>>61496533
Except for the parts where they majorly fuck up a seemingly simple task only for them to be hunted and killed off one by one until getting saved by an apache.
>>
>>61501852
>Sauce on that?
I believe it was the diary of Cyrus Boyd. It’s a good read in and of itself, he describes battles fairly graphically as well as the shenanigans in camp.
>>
>>61496290
>the idea of "wAr iS hElL" and that you start to empathize with your enemy and your "cOmMoN hUmAnItY" is also bullshit
If anything, you usually end up hating the enemy more, not less. Especially if they're a shit enemy and do despicable things (more than the usual). I don't think incidents like the WW1 trench truces are the norm. Probably depends on shared culture, too. American soldiers liked German POWs better than their French allies, who they saw as lazy, sullen, and cowardly.
>>
>>61499123
The helicopter gunner is the sadistic one, I suppose. Since he thinks it's hilarious that no matter what the locals do, he's going to kill them.
>>
>>61499648
Idk man all that applies to me and if i shave pplz think im a teenager. 32
>>
>>61502164
>I don't think incidents like the WW1 trench truces are the norm.
It varies a lot throughout history, and to some extent seems to go through cycles. I agree that shared culture and norms matter, though some of it also comes down to other warfare and general economic basics.
>>
>>61499242
>Maybe if we cared more things would have turned out differently
No, because Iraqis didn't want to be liberated from Saddam to begin with. He was a murderer and a thief, but by Arab standards a reasonably solid one. Iraq was bullshit.
>>
>>61501691
Irrelevant nobody.
>>
>>61499105
Youre alright kid, dont swing by the port o potty tonight
>>
File: We Advance Wars Now.jpg (85 KB, 1451x405)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>61502387
Pretty much. Iraq was a fucking disaster and IMO got the ball rolling for our current recruitment/retention crisis.
>>
File: Yorkie SAS.jpg (130 KB, 1565x897)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
I think one element in this is that Hollywood/the media don't really understand the idea of a professional soldier, which is why you either see very few war movies about modern conflicts, or they are one of two varities "superhero" movies involving some kind of elite unit being badasses or the "wAr iS hElL", which may be any kind of unit but usually has a theme of "this terrible and we can't wait for it to end, we'll be scarred for life.

They don't understand that many guys join for a paycheck, they may love and hate it, and their experiences & reasons to keep doing it may vary, but it is ultimately a job to defeat the enemies of our country, and they take pride in that.

Maybe if somebody tried to make Hollywood understand professional soldierly is emotionally more like a police serial, they'd get it....
>>
File: 1467819764974316900.jpg (102 KB, 670x448)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>61502387
This varied too, The Iraqis (The Shia and the Kurds, anyway, about 80% of the pop) were VERY happy to see us for about the first 9 months after the war.

It was only when the intercine killing got bad, and they realized we were not going to magically fix everything Saddam had spent 20+ years fucking up that the magic wore off.
>>
>>61502164
Tbf the French were taking horrible casualties I can understand why most weren’t exactly eager to be in any combat
>>
>>61501944
Yet another reason I love Big Red One, the sniper scene is fucking perfect
All the way from
>now your clown ass can go first
right down to
>you just wanted to see me sweat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MBng0wjCXk
>>61501245
>>61501245
>Catch-22
My favorite scene is when he's tryna fuck the nurse on the beach and his buddy gets blendered by a B-17 on a buzz run. next scene they go right back to flying missions like it didn't even happen
>>
>>61501852
I have come to believe that Gundam in certain respects is a stealth wank-fest for Japanese about WW2.

Where did they fail to get to? Australia? Australia gets wiped off the map?
Who beat them? America. America gets bombed, conquered, and subjugated. California is full of collaborators kissing the feet of Japanese, I mean Zeon nobility.
Who was their buddies? The Germans. The Zeon have a heavy pattern of Germanic militarism to them.
>>
>>61502501
THe US soldiers had teh attitude toward the Brits in WW2.

It comes from joining the war late, when you're all-fired up and the other guys have already been slogging and dying for 3-4 years.
>>
>>61502538
>a stealth wank-fest for Japanese about WW2
gee, you think a media culture obsessed with competing military empires, failure in the face of impossible odds and world-breaking massive explosions is based in past generational trauma?
jholy shit nobody ever noticed that before. Now bear that in mind and go watch Dragon Ball Z again, dummy
>>
>>61492209
Masterbation every chance I could.
>>
File: Gundam pepe wojak.jpg (38 KB, 640x480)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>61502538
Maybe. China (and Japan) remained firmly under Federation control as per your map. A lot of it depends on the director's/writer's interpretation, seeing as Gundam has been going on for decades.

Was Zeon an allegory for Japan? Definitely. 1979 is closer to 1945 than today is to 1979. Tomino grew up in the immediate postwar period, surrounded by people who lived through the war, and I guarantee that there must've been a few IJA/IJN vets involved in MSG's production. Wank? Maybe in some of the later works, but not from what I can gather from 0079, especially since some obviously less savoury aspects of the Japanese Empire were alluded too, particularly the factionalism among different branches of the Japanese Military/Zabi family leading to disaster/massive casualties on multiple occasions, and that 0079 has the most flattering depiction of the Federation AFAIK.

I've always viewed the Zeon collaborations in California as an allegory for how a significant amount of the Imperial Japanese elite immediately "sold out" to the Americans right after the war. I think pacifism is gay as fuck, but the more I read about that period of time the more I understand why the Japanese leaned into it so hard.

Speaking of which, remember that time when a certain Zeon pilot dies in a suicide attack, leading to his second-in-command to stage a suicide attack against the main characters, leading to one of them stopping a suicide with HIS OWN suicide attack? Yo dawg, I heard you like kamikazes...
>>
File: Maymay suit gundam.png (24 KB, 500x384)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>61502829
*leading his second-in-command to stage a suicide attack against the main characters, leading to one of them stopping a suicide attack with HIS OWN suicide attack? Yo dawg, I heard you like kamikazes...
>>
>>61497025
>afghan soldiers
>wearing green jungle camos
you'd think Afghanistan would have their soldiers wear tans, beige, yellow and dull white camoflage.
fucking dune coons
>>
>>61502988
They're using US hand-me-downs.
>>
>>61492367
bonglander here, english is my only spoken language by choice. glory is respect taken to a supreme extreme
>>
>>61496685
>knockout a SAM battery without explosives
That the plan didn't begin with "Apply E-2's to all exposed electronics" really drives home how contrived this scenario is, complete immersion in salt water is less destructive.
>>
>>61503192
right, so describing it as mere respect would be incorrect
>>
>>61492209
The Atlantic wall. The bunkers at the beaches didn't face the sea, they weren't huge blocks that stuck out like sore thumbs and they weren't filled to the brim with MG42s.
>>
>>61492338
>not spending hours watching the same fucking social program lectures of how not to rape someone
wouldnt be an issue if you just stopped raping people

>>61496425
just the nature of a peacetime volunteer military. I got out a few years ago but still float around in military circles and there's already a much larger shift towards a doomer mentality with Israel shennanigans. The guys who joined simply for college are facing an increasing likelyhood of a no-kidding wartime pivot.
>>
>>61503431
For some of the Navy guys they already have been engaged in almost daily combat in the Red Sea or Gulf of Aden since October
>>
>>61492251
Way to out yourself as a war crime loving sociopath.
>>
>>61496425
>Everyone sort of knew it was morally bankrupt
Yeah and that's exactly why very few people genuinely respect GWOT veterans. Hell, many responses in this thread openly take a perverse pride in dehumanisation and spiteful murder.
>>
>>61492263
Define any social capital in measurable terms.
>>
>>61496685
>The smart way to do this (which was literally the first thing the ODA thought of) would be to take some Carl Gustafs, sneak up to the edge of the woodline where this SAM was located, blow the fucking thing up from 500 meters away, and then run off into the night, mission accomplished. The OC/Ts would not do that. They INSISTED that the ODA had to assault the SAM position (where big fucking shocker, a massive gunfight would break out). The EOD guy (who was assigned to the ODA, so not an OC/T) did the math about how big a "boom" the SAM system would produce if they set charges. The OC/Ts told them they had to set a short fuse otherwise the OPFOR's QRF would disable the charges; big shocker, the proposed fuse timer was so short that they would have blown themselves up setting charges.
Yeah that seems like sheer laziness on the OC/T's part. They should have figured out how an enemy force would reasonably defend against what is as you say the obvious plan of attack, and then do that. Although if I want to fair (probably not remotely justified based on what you say) this could run into the problem of people taking too literally the practical constraints of training terrain. Like if you want to train people for a field/desert/tundra/whatever area where there is no woodline at 500m or even 1000m away, but you still have to do it in fucking Louisiana, now what? You need people to be willing to run with some contrivance.

But that doesn't deal with shit like the fuse at all. Or "ok we assault/infiltrate to within 500m, THEN use the Carl Gs", or "we practice hiding the charges and doing traps or whatever so that it takes more then a few minutes to find them" and then you have the OPFOR with expert searchers and see if the SF did it well enough. It's fine to set constraints in a simulation that are realistic but then everyone should still be allowed to figure out the solution within that. Ah well.
>>
>>61492251
>>Dere is no glory in war!
but this is true no one even remembers the war I was in
>>
>>61502829
>I've always viewed the Zeon collaborations in California as an allegory for how a significant amount of the Imperial Japanese elite immediately "sold out" to the Americans right after the war. I think pacifism is gay as fuck, but the more I read about that period of time the more I understand why the Japanese leaned into it so hard.
Under the circumstances it was definitely understandable, even if long term the risks are clear. But it's still bought them like 80 years of focusing on civilization and building a pretty nice place, whatever its domestic challenges. They were sold hard on the militarism thing, but their leadership and elites fucked everything so absolutely insanely fucking badly and then the people they shit on who then beat them turned around and rather then just enslave them all or whatever offered effectively to defend them going forward and help rebuild and let them get to it. Makes sense they'd want to purge the fuckhead nobility "throw your babies at their bayonets muh honorabu" militarist assholes and go full swing the other way given that chance.
>>
>>61505161
>>>Dere is no glory in war!
>but this is true no one even remembers the war I was in
its not true as a universal which is what I think anon was mocking. some wars were shitty with zero glory. a lot of civil wars tend to be the worst. some wars had a fair amount of glory mixed in with the usual amount of shitty though.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (18 KB, 490x586)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>watch chinese movie on the korean war
>intro battle pans to a line of white US troops on top of a hill
>villain music plays
>>
>>61495829
>Every war movie now being a Vietnam war movie.
Unironically why "We Were Soldiers" is my favorite Vietnam movie. It faithfully depicts a combined arms air assault, the soldiers are competent and the battle plan is clear.
That movie is so much closer to actual combat than Platoon or Full Metal Jacket ever fucking could be.
>>
>>61505192
not any of the wars I've seen. Nothing 'glorious' at all.
>>
>>61505197
>>watch chinese movie on the korean war
>>intro battle pans to a line of white US troops on top of a hill
>>villain music plays
I hope they mentioned the mass executions by north Koreans of Korean civilians and clergy that actually happened. Imagine celebrating dying for the kims. Communist China is still a fucking disgrace.
>>
>>61505236
>not any of the wars I've seen. Nothing 'glorious' at all.
yes I'm sure you've seen all parts of millennia of warfare anon. or even decades for that matter.
>>
>>61505205
>Full Metal Jacket ever
is actually pretty real anon as far as movies go
>>
>>61505243
>I hope they mentioned the mass executions by north Koreans of Korean civilians and clergy that actually happened
lol? Under poohbear and then new red china revival you'd get sent straight to chinkgulag yourself for mentioning it or China's own mass massacres for that matter.
>>
>>61505246
I've been in 5 wars, two as a combatant and 3 working with refugees, I've been decorated for bravery and wounds but never really understood that either. If you think war is 'glorious' you're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>61505246
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,—
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
>>
>>61505247
R Lee Ermey himself said much of the physical abuse Kubrick made him perform were completely unacceptable in the Marine Corps.
Kubrick spawned a myth about DIs hitting their troops to sensationalize the first half of the movie.
The second half is them bumbling around aimlessly from set-piece to set-piece, they're a bunch of fucking boy-scouts in make-up with "shocking" scenes meant to make you forget nothing happens in the fucking movie.
>>
>>61505267
the combat scenes are pretty real yeah
>>
>>61505256
>If you think war is 'glorious' you're a fucking idiot.
since you have to invent strawmen nobody claimed nah you are the fucking idiot. nobody said "war is glorious" but rather that some wars have had individual actions that were glorious. if you literally think there was never a single one ever well you're welcome to your shitty and wrong opinion
>>
>>61492338
We used to do human pyramids.
>>
>>61505276
you first.
>>
>>61505272
I think the movie portrays occupation a lot better than combat. The only combat the movie portrays is Americans getting ambushed by snipers in two different scenes, which is "accurate" in the sense snipers get a bunch of kills before they die themselves, but have next to no operational impact.
>>
>>61505017
This. The US sucks ass, child soldiers pop up when people get desperate, regardless of ideology, and people are human, but some people are psychopathic, like this anon.
>>
>>61493826
>sit in bunk eating snickers bar
>homie in the bunk above suddenly hangs off the side upside down with open mouth
>hold stickers bar out for him between bites
>he takes a bite and disappears back up
>i keep eating
>nobody said a word at all
It only seemed weird looking back at it later.
>>
>>61492338
Kek. Do Western militaries really? Rape is such an antisocial act, that you're not going to do it unless you're already pretty fucked in the head.
>>
>>61492338
>throwing rocks at other rocks
On guard duty in a box with a dirt floor.
In a shitty folding chair.
Picking up tiny stones and arranging them around you by size, away from you like the rays of the sun.
For 10 hours.
Relief comes and sees you sitting there with four feet of perfectly aligned rocks radiating away from your seat.
Stares at you for a few seconds with that look that says he's trying to decide if you're okay or already lost it.
Apologize profusely and gingerly tip toe over the incredible rock tapestry you've woven.
Leave the next guy to sit among the stones uncomfortably for hours.
Laugh about the strange trauma you've dealt to that poor fuck.
>>
>>61505173
Of course, but I'm talking more about the elites themselves "selling out" than your average Nip. In many cases the same people saying "get ready to charge tanks with bamboo spears" in 1945 immediately did everything they could to pass blame on to others, instead of, y'know, doing the honorable thing like Norihiro Yasue.

>>61505243
Chinese people are scum and despite the excesses of the Japanese Empire, Nanking (to the extent to which it actually happened) couldn't have happened to a more deserving group of people.

>>61505352

>>61505382
I drew dicks.
>>
>>61505352
>Rape is such an antisocial act,

It's social by injection, and moids are meant to be taken as my rooster takes hens. If rape were not so natural it would not require laws against it. Rapine was once perfectly normal and seizing enemy females as slaves quite standard. All modernist faggot beliefs are extremely recent historically. The idea of LOAC especially so.

Rape and plunder were part of soldier compensation. Plundering enemy armor was such a distraction it's repeatedly mentioned in the Iliad where stripping enemy gear before someone else stole it from your kill got warriors killed by the buddies of those they slew.

Taking enemy females was expected so some offed themselves rather than ride victorious cock. Morality is subjective and a matter of fashion. For example genocide is the sole decisive way to prevent enemy respawn IF it's carried to conclusion, like deleting nearly all indigenous opponents in the US. Failure to genocide out of greed for labor dooms colonial efforts (hence the utter failure of Spanish and Portuguese efforts in the Americas).

The best way to fight enemies is kill every last one of them if you can and kill every traitor who objects to doing so That's why Carthage is but a memory.
>>
>>61505382
Too bad ya didn't save pics. That's some creative guard shack adornment.
>>
File: 1638475526582.png (208 KB, 356x400)
208 KB
208 KB PNG
>>61506260
>moids are meant to be taken as my rooster takes hens
>>
File: HotRod.jpg (3.98 MB, 1998x2120)
3.98 MB
3.98 MB JPG
>>61506216
>I drew dicks.

Image search "military dick drawing". Your work is part of an ancient artistic lineage.

Image search GWOT Dick Art. It's very /k/ since dicks are weapons and vital to a functioning military.
>>
>>61506276
Spartans raped, Romans raped, everyone who could get away with it raped because enemies are without worth. It's only subjectively "wrong" when someone you dislike (see your pic) is operating the dick.

Lions rape and kill competing cubs. Rape is a natural apex predator act and since enemy humans need not be preserved killing the men and taking the women where useful was standard practice in the more honest ancient world.

Absent reason to value enemies, there is no reason not to genocide, rape and otherwise use them as one sees fit. You don't even know why you object except your social conditioning you dare not question. Rape is indeed a weapon and frequently used to disrupt traditional enemy societies where the husband's failure to protect his female is seen as so degrading the victim is often disposed of by honor killing.
>>
>>61506369
Typo, should be "lions rape then kill competing cubs". No competing genes = no problem, and evolution is outside moral fashion.
>>
>>61506369
>Lions rape and kill competing cubs.
Humans aren't psychopathic lions. You should feel ashamed of yourself.
>>
>>61506369
Ever occur to you that they were by todays standards mentally retarded. Seriously. Romans were by todays standards mentally retarded. A lion can't do math. The average roman wouldn't be able to graduate elementary school because they were stupid.
There opinion on rape is not really valid just like a lions opinion on math.
>>
>>61506260
>you have to be 18 to post here
>the post
>>
File: Disdain for plebs.jpg (32 KB, 400x462)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>61506412
>The average roman wouldn't be able to graduate elementary school because they were stupid.

Which is why they managed to build the most powerful empire in the world at the time?
>>
>>61505161
The Yugoslavia conflict?
>>
>>61506216
Based. I actually became a minor celebrity while deployed, even outside of my own unit
>"Wait, YOU'RE the guy who drew those?"
>>
>>61505352
every military in the world has a shockingly high level of rape, the only unit type who didn't where castrated harem guards. Even the ones you like. The parts of the brain that do sex and violence are one in the same. With the killing expected of war comes the inevitable "Othering" of your opponent.
>>
>>61499279

Not everyone belongs to a hivemind like you do /pol/

>>61501852
>Was he told to look the other way in regards to Bachi Bazi etc. or other things?

Yeah, that was a big part of it. And it wasn’t just little boys, there was a case where the pregnant wife of a suspected ISIS operative his unit detained got gang-raped by a couple of ANA and a few hours later committed suicide by throwing herself in front of a vehicle he was riding in.

But he was also just disgusted with the general incompetence, laziness, and corruption of the ANA and the Afghan government. Apparently the only time the ANA would actually do their job would be stuff like extorting locals for tax officials because they would receive a cut of it. He is very much of the opinion that the Taliban deserved to win simply because they actually worked for it.
>>
>>61492251
>Actually believing the US isn't just as dirty as everyone else
>What is PTSD/Trauma
>Believes there's glory in dying for Israel in a desert hellhole
>Gladly dehumanizes enemies to soothe cognitive dissonance

The rest are good points though
>>
>>61505382
I always built pyramids, myself.
>>
>>61509961
You're pretty delusional on this.
>>
>>61506412
you're a moron
>>
the intensity of a massive WW1 artillery barrage
>>
>>61492209
Everything. Real war isn’t entertaining it’s 99% paperwork/powerpoint and 1% cleaning shit out of the bucket.
Only a few really insane people would make interesting stories.
>>
>>61496290
>Also, the idea of "wAr iS hElL" and that you start to empathize with your enemy and your "cOmMoN hUmAnItY" is also bullshit.
Consider that the foremost pieces of anti-war literature were about largely conscript militaries fighting various European wars, and we have merely inherited the mindset
>>
>>61501823
>it's not any one thing it's how a lot of them are in all their interactions with foreigners and even each other, everyone trying to scramble over everyone to get ahead
China less so than say Vietnam
I have hung out with both and what I don't like about the Chinese is that lots of them are unironically spies or shills for free. Vietnamese on the other hand are kind of like gypsies if gypsies ever did honest work - if you're in with them you're good but if you're an outsider then your life and property don't matter
>>
>>61492485
WW2 was a real war not like Iraq
>>
>>61500323
The moment it's a country and not a consortium it becomes tyranny. Just imagine your country's enemies playing world police instead.

>>61502410
Hypocrite.
>>
>>61496685
regardless of the retardation you complained about, I envy the US armed forces as they actually do serious shit like this to train, while I cant know for sure since the military culture of my cunt is non existant and its impossible to have conversations such as this thread, but my understanding is that everyone is in for the gibs and they rarely do shit
>>
>marines are baby eating monsters
>>
Soldiers are portrayed as having life skills
>>
>>61505352
Whenever an organization has a specific rule against doing something, it's always because someone went out and did that exact thing.
>>
File: balaclava.jpg (8 KB, 240x240)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>61493826
>mfw me and Lt are making out for stress relief and I feel tongue (thereby making it gay)
>>
>>61493826
oh shit I made that - justwarthings.tumblr.com
>>
>>61496609
the biggest part of PTSD I have seen that people don't get is the habits and reactions it causes. Those habits and reactions cause frictions and problems in your relationships and work and then you are unemployed and alone and that is why you off yourself.
>>
File: 1652719715121.jpg (158 KB, 1762x1225)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>61499602
Machine guns meant you had to dig in or die, artillery meant you couldn't dig in or die.
>>
>>61508089
>the most powerful empire in the world at the time
>at the time
Kinda answered your own question there, buddy.
>>
>>61510374
Kek, you are the one justyfying rape and murder like some autistic fuckwad.
>>
>>61512265
Let me guess, you think that most peopled died at 40 back then, right?
>>
File: 1662818798764010.gif (998 KB, 500x650)
998 KB
998 KB GIF
>>61512528
No, plenty of people died way earlier than that (infant mortality is a bitch), but if you survived to adulthood you'd probably make it to 60+.
My point was that they were less retarded than their contemporaries, but still dumb by current standards.
Land of the blind an all that jazz.
>>
>>61503431
>if you stopped raping people
The people that don't rape aren't going to not rape more because of this, and the people that do rape don't give a shit
>>
>>61497754
I mean, how do you make a movie where the moral is that war is good, regardless of the reason why?

A war movie could be justifiably pro-war if it's in substantiated self defense, like Edge of Tomorrow, against an enemy that can't be negotiated with, or an enemy that expresses exterminationist or enslaving intent. The message would be "None of us want to be here. None of us want to fight. However, war has come to us and we will defend ourselves."
>>
>>61513866
The difference is between thinking it's fine to rape a local chick or aggressively "seduce" a female soldier and being told explicitely that command will fuck you if you do.
Knowing that officers and peers won't or might not look the other way will make a difference
>>
>>61494506
it's hard to tell anymore, goddam kids get off my cyberlawn.
>>
>>61512111
>Whenever an organization has a specific rule against doing something, it's always because someone went out and did that exact thing.
Cope. Western militaries have such programs because of leftist feminists always wining about it. Leftists are known for coming up with imaginary problems left and right and horseshit solutions for those problems, and they currently dominate modern Western politics.
>>
>>61496290
>the idea of "wAr iS hElL" and that you start to empathize with your enemy and your "cOmMoN hUmAnItY" is also bullshit
Have you considered that others might be different to you? That they don't gleefully throw their empathy and aversion to killing to the wind because they're currently clutching a rifle? Not all people are corrupted by the sight and taste of blood like you.
>>
>>61505352
>rape is an antisocial act
Uh, so is killing people. Every military in history has been dependent on horny, violent teenagers to do its dirty work.
>>
>>61516853
Not true. The age of conscription used to be 21 in most Western countries prior to WW2.
>>
>>61499076
it do be like that.

I was there when Kyrgyzstan had it's revolution. Shared a beer with a Kyrgyz who was patrolling the fence.

Pete's place and Manas. Good times. There was a bathroom stall that said some dude was gay, and it was translated into every language of everyone who came through. It was fucking beautiful.

also RIP Saddest turtle, dictodactle, cocktopus, penis arms T-rex and the most lighthearted warcrime of sticking googly eye stickers onto air dropped munitions with double bubble 2 part.

Also getting every super soaker pulled from the Bagram exchange because of teaching the army how to make flame spitters outta them.

That was a silly deployment.
>>
>>61516832

Neato. Go watch some ISIS guy rape people firsthand and tell me you feel "cOmMoN hUmAnItY". This may be academic for you.

LA metrosexuals may think this is how human beings react because Hollywood has programed them to think universally about morality. Not realizing what actual conflict looks like.

Do you really think the GIs who liberated death camps suddenly had a "cOmMoN hUmAnItY" epiphany when they realized the SS guards like to eat food, watch movies, drink liquor, and occasionally write letters to family? If you think yes, you may want to do some homework about how they actually treated those people.

Those same GIs then went home and became normal people, but weren't under these weird delusions that their Boomer offspring were.
>>
File: 1599515051122.jpg (18 KB, 480x480)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Man it's fascinating seeing these replies from anons who saw the war on terror firsthand. Feels like such a far cry from the current zeitgeist with russia and ukraine. Everyone in the bong army right now won't shut the fuck up about it, every conversation I've had with current serving soldier is essentially a schizophrenic mix of
>IED PTSD
and
>We're going to get meatgrinder'ed in ukraine within the decade
I'm joining up myself after college, what do we think the future of warfare is looking like? Internal-army-culture wise I mean
>>
>>61521033
*current serving soldiers
>>
>>61492209
ear protection, going deaf
>>
>>61506412
The average Roman plebeian could read and do sums. Part of the reason Rome conquered as much as they did is because the people doing the conquering could read orders, write reports, and keep track of where the pila and grain rations were going.
>>
>>61521033
If you can read about the GWOT vets and all they went through and still want to join the military you may have missed the point. You're university educated so hopefully this lands. GWOT vets are like the legions of the Roman Republic or the soldiers of the French Metropole. Serve for 20 years, fight in some savage but low intensity colonial conflicts, get your pension. We are now approaching a Cannae moment, a Guns of August moment. It is, in other words, a bad time to join the legion.
>>
>>61521033

I ETS'd from the US Army two years ago.

Western militaries really aren't taking the sea change seriously. Three decades of "peace" has left these societies psychologically unprepared. (Obviously there was fighting but it was super far away. If you turned off CNN you'd literally have no idea because the war was effectively an abstraction. To the foreign policy hawks who "cared". it was like rooting for a football team).

Liberal democracy is very imperfect, but the authoritarian civilizational project sounds miserable. By any standard of living these places are rotting shitholes, held together by a facade of big armies and grand vanity projects meant to project the illusion of a powerful state. But the great problem is that while these authoritarian shitholes aren't great to live in, they are willing to bully their neighbors to prove how "sTrOnK" they are, and spent whatever wasn't embezzled to build war machines to do so. The Europeans now must confront the fact that iPhones couldn't convince the Russians to abandon the idea that they are entitled to beat up on other nations, and that abandoning militarism is an unwise idea if even one of your neighbors decides to be a contrarian. The authoritarian world recognizes that the US, which can and has constrain their ambitions for three decades now, is politically destroying itself. And the biggest problem is that the people who would do most of the fighting/have done most of the problem solving for Western civilization (gritty and/or smart men) are effectively being ostracized and disenfranchised by their societies. They're too disillusioned to answer the call for a society that treats them with contempt. The very best of them have just abandoned themselves to a "fuck you, got mine" lifestyle because their self-aware enough to know they'll get shit on for attempting pro-social behavior.
>>
>>61521033
>>61524645

And here is our problem. The internal culture of these militaries, as careerist enterprises, is unprepared for the system shock they'll face on the battlefield. Especially as they have trouble acquiring and retaining talent. The Russian humiliation in 2022 may have been fun to watch, but the one thing the Russians proved in 2023 is that they are willing to bleed, and even if that pigheadedness costs more blood and steel than perhaps is necessary, it's more resilient than the political will of a fickle democracy. And they're learning from their mistakes too, costly as they may be.

The fear of getting meat-grindered in Ukraine is kind of justified. While the WW2 generation of leaders fucked up by attempting to appease their adversary, this generation has fucked up by refusing to commit to a decisive outcome. It is possible that the manpower Ukraine lost waiting on better weapon that was trickle fed by the West may have cost them the opportunity to take the upper hand on the battlefield and concluded the war favorably (let alone any time soon). An emboldened Russia, battle hardened, may be low on modern tanks, IFVs, and APCS, but they know their adversaries are totally unprepared for the hardships of modern war. And they know that their enemies will blink in a game of chicken.

More importantly, where is the West going to martial its strength from? From a population of disaffected young men who are cynical about systems of power? The recruiting crisis in the military is a little more complicated than just disaffection. There are dumb bureaucratic reasons why the US Army (for sakes of example) fails to meet its quotas; without those it could probably get just enough bodies to meet its current demands. But if demands rose, 110% wouldn't be able to meet them.
>>
>>61521033

This anon >>61523881 kind of captures the point I alluded to in >>61496290. There is a kind of dude out there who is a combat junkie. He's in the military for the camaraderie, the existential experience of war, and the adrenaline/dopamine hit from a gunfight. There is a fantastic paradox that this kind of dude is also rabidly anti-government and distrustful of liberalism (both the American political left, and potentially if he's crazy enough, Western liberal values in general). Despite the obvious cognitive dissonance, I would say the reasoning is simply because there's no other institution that will give this kind of high-strung dude this kind of outlet. This dude's relationship with the government is self-serving in that regard.

This person, if really forced to make a choice, will absolutely oppose a modern Western government and its social agenda. Fighting is unideological; likewise, if asked to fight an existential fight for the current social order (rather than personal fulfillment), most would probably decline.
>>
>>61521033

If you want to join, the best advice I can give you is to have no illusions about having a grand purpose. At least not under the current generation of Western leaders. I will say that Army life has its positive moments. You can meet some of the best, most driven people in the world who will make you a better version of you (you'll also meet lots of self-serving douches, the careerist system in the military makes a lot of snakes, but I would argue civilian life is like this too). You MAY get the opportunity to build practical skills (in the US military this involves some combination of playing your cards right and some luck, can't speak to the Bong army). And you'll get the experience of having been a soldier; an experience that will broaden your perspective on life even after you get out. Even the shittiest points will teach you stoicism, and resillience.

Just understand that you're not going to be serving the will of capable, benign leaders or plausibly bettering your nation.
>>
>>61524773
>this kind of dude is also
*taps screen*
>>61498967
>You have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>61524645
>ETS'd from the US Army two years ago.
Lmao DD214 when
>never
Fuckin poser. beat it kiddywinks, adults are talking
>>
>>61492209
I'm so fucking pissed off the meme called it Willie-P and not Winnie-P
>>
File: choke on a dick, nigger.jpg (200 KB, 1225x913)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>61525016

I'll do you one better faggot, here's some OC from the sandbox.
>>
File: eat shit summer fag.jpg (290 KB, 1221x911)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>61525016
>>
File: brownoids stayin mad.jpg (289 KB, 1221x911)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>
>>61523881
>>61524815
Call me a naive retard but that’s kind of why I want to join. I am almost completely convinced that the world is heading towards a conflict which will make the first two world wars look like small fireworks shows by comparison. Not necessarily nuclear, just that this is gonna be some real civilisational shit so to speak. I also view my purpose and meaning to lie with the army. I have no delusions about glory or anything like that. I just think that it’s where I belong, and that given the absolute fucking state of my generation (not in the /pol/ack incel sense, just the objective reality that people my age are largely fucked), I have to do my sense. I love my country, I love europe, and I refuse not to do my part to support it. I have the opportunity for an easy life in a comfy civilian job but it would not make me happy, and schizo civilisation babble aside, the army, it’s culture, it’s ethos, it’s people, it gives me a sense of purpose and belonging like nothing else short of my girlfriend and family. Thank you for your kind responses anons
>also I’m joining as an officer so I’m currently trying my hardest to make sure I don’t turn into shitbag_Lt_n.456549 and actually look after my future men, any advice on how to be good lieutenant would be welcome especially from people who’ve been enlisted
>>
>>61525100
*I have to do my part
>>
>>61525100

And I'm telling you this now, while the idealism is fantastic understand that the people who currently run the show fucking hate you. Don't believe anyone will appreciate that you're doing this for benevolent reasons. Enjoy the ride for what it is; not what you're vesting your dreams and morality into.
>>
>one soldier is instantly killed by a single shot
>pause for a beat
>”AAAAAAMMBUUUUSHHH!”
>only then does tons of incoming fire show up, sometimes with mortars (which for some reason tend to stop after a few rounds)
>>
>>61525140
yeah. ambushes are usually initiated with explosives or machine guns right?
>>
>>61505332
Kek
>>
>>61525100

You're a bong so harder to tell you what officer culture/career trajectory looks like.

US Army boot lieutenant career track is that you'll show up to a unit versed in doctrine, and with no idea how day to day operations really work. Your guide will be your SNCO counterpart (platoon sergeant in a combat arms unit; NCOIC in most POG outfits). They actually show you the ropes on how to be successful. A good senior NCO is who you rely upon for guidance on how to be successful at your job and develops you as a leader (so you'll have practical knowledge alongside doctrinal knowledge).

The rat race in the US military really starts at O-3 (Captain in the Army). That's where most officers have to start making hard career choices, and things get very competitive for promotion beyond that point. It typically devolves into ugly office politics and egomania fights at that point.
>>
>>61505332
Very cute
>>
>>61525146

Either explosives or a "closed bolt" direct fire weapon (some kind of well-aimed rifle rifle at a high-value target). The doctrine we practiced was that you never initiated an ambush with an open-bolt weapon. The machine gun's main value is in volume of fire, not necessarily precise fire (the higher potential for misses/jams reduce its utility as opposed to a weapon that's far more likely to hit and neutralize a high value target).

Though realistically, the machine gun is almost certainly going to open up after whatever your trigger for the ambush is (whether it be a rifle or an explosive weapon).
>>
>>61523881
>Cannae moment
There are no Hannibals left in the world, you're dreaming
>>
File: sut handbook.jpg (212 KB, 687x911)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>61525148
>>61525174

I guess I should clarify for some faggot who inevitably claims I'm a "never-served" because he saw some Youtube video by some militiaman type who did the first half of Infantry OSUT; this was the SOP in the unit I was in. This was how they did it. The initiating weapon/mechanism is technically at the discretion of the unit leader (as per the Small Unit Tactics handbook here).
>>
>>61497777
That's a decent point, but Zeon mobile suits all look way cooler than any federation ones
>>
File: IMG_4374.jpg (289 KB, 1181x1487)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>61525148
Yeah this sounds pretty similar to our system, you show up fresh out of sandhurst (our officer school) as an Lt or 2Lt with pretty much a year of training and no knowledge of your unit’s people where even privates will will probably have several years more experience than you. What I know generally is
>listen to your NCOs
>have your men’s backs 100%, even if it fucks you sometimes, but also know that you aren’t one of them and that you need some professionalism to maintain chain of command
>don’t be a cunt
Or something to that effect. I just don’t wanna be that guy who comes out of officer school and thinks he can boss around his NCOs because he’s got a pip (what we call the diamond on a uk Lt’s rankslide)
As for the competition, it’s the same here but depends heavily on the reg. I want to make it into the paras and officer competition is crazy there from day one. That said I don’t expect to be in long enough to worry about anything beyond major, most likely I’ll leave as a captain in my late 20s. Unless there’s a war in which case I’m sticking around
)
>>61525121
I’m well aware, don’t worry, although I don’t know if this is written from an american perspective - here in the UK obviously being a naive retard is generally frowned upon, but they expressedly like idealism and I have been told this both by current and ex officers and enlisted. So maybe a US army thing? But yeah generally I know not to get my hopes too high, and to just enjoy the ride and try to make the most out of it. My long-term plan is to make captain, maybe major if I can do it within a decade or less, and then try to find some ally well-paid security contracting gig which I see no shortage of demand for (if you’re qualified and connected)
>>
File: IMG_6723.gif (2.57 MB, 480x270)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB GIF
>>61492209
The Pacific and Generation Kill are the only ones I’ve seen that show what it’s like trying to deal with having the shits.
>>
>>61525100
>the world is heading towards a conflict which will make the first two world wars look like small fireworks shows by comparison.

On an intellectual level I can produce objections to this, but intuitively I'm inclined to agree with you on this. Still at least a decade off, I wager.
I feel the same as you about the military, anon.

I don't have any delusions of grandeur, either, but I do feel that to join my irrelevant shithole's military that'll probably melt away at the outbreak of an actual war with our slant-eyed neighbors would be pointless, and I'd be able to do much more to defend my homeland if I throw my talents behind the burgers.
I've been looking to talk to US Army recruiters that periodically visit the local VVA for this exact reason. I know it's a long shot as a non-American without even a green card, but I'm banking on the absolute state of recruiting numbers right now to make it.
>>
>>61525376
I know what you mean, it’s an intuition. I’ve felt it ever since I was a young boy, I remember it really started in earnest once the crimean annexation happened and I got into geopolitics and war. I have many very good reasons to believe that WW3 might never happen, but then again I also was still unsure of whether russia was gonna invade ukraine till the day it happened (and you know I was following that shit autistically since the buildup started in 2021). Ultimately all I’ll say is it’s this inexorable feeling of tension, rising tension and pressure, not just internationally but domestically, a slow but gradual stretching of every facet of society towards a breaking point. I see it everywhere I go, in the faces of the people around me and in everything I learn from the world as it is today (and not just because of western media catastrophising, I mean in terms of concrete geopolitical data and trends).

I don’t think anyone’s ready for what’s gonna happen next.
>>
>>61496111
The only cool thing about Fury was the tank battles however retarded, and now I am imagining someone doing a machinimia of the Tiger fight scene with the cast of GuP.
>>
>>61495983
>Meanwhile russians have dedovshchina
No wonder why one civilization is working to send people to the moon again while the other cannot longer land a probe there.
>>
>>61492209
>recoil
>CGI muzzle flash
>WILHELMSCREAM then spazzing out instead dropping like a sack of potatoes
>shot composition compressing what should be extended order into "let's have a mass casualty together" frame
>super sonic cracks in the vicinity of the suppressed
>sniper never has to hold over or under significantly
>violence of action (not saying it has to be John Wick, but it drags/isn't systematic about showing how engagements unfold and develop positionally)

>>61525100
>Not necessarily nuclear, just that this is gonna be some real civilisational shit so to speak

Red China was allowed to play 'deniably' dumb with a definitionally offensive gain of function bioweapon release with coordinated world wide 5th column help to make it worse with untested gene transfection 'technology' in wholesale violation of the Nuremberg Code's Informed Consent standards. We're in it already frendo.
>>
only 2 war movies or series where men lose hearing from gunshots and explosions are like Unknown Soldier and Black Hawk Down
>>
>>61505197

webm related.
>>
File: Proofs.png (9 KB, 277x271)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>61524709
>Ukraine lost waiting on better weapon that was trickle fed by the West
>An emboldened Russia, battle hardened, may be low on modern tanks, IFVs, and APCS
>where is the West going to martial its strength from?
>for sakes of example
Holy moly, ESL. Learn to type.
>The fear of getting meat-grindered in Ukraine is kind of justified.
Nigger, two cruise missiles managed to take out an S-300 system in Feodosia. What the fuck do you think Russia will be able to do once it's swarmed by hundreds of F-35s?
>>
File: 1696395310451232.jpg (140 KB, 960x720)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>61492338
>>not spending hours watching the same fucking social program lectures of how not to rape someone
Uh
>>
>>61524645
>>61524709
>>61524773
>>61524815
Excellent posts which are worthy of (you)s.
>>
>>61525016
Are you that fat fuck who posted pictures of his M4 in basic ranting about how it was the first gun he ever touched?
>>
>>61525100
Burger here so YMMV
>Prioritise the welfare of your joes
>Be humble, realize that your Plt. Sergeant knows more than you
>Lead by example
>Mog your troops, nobody is going to respect an LT that is't in shape, doesn't know their shit, isn't squared away etc. etc.

>>61525121
This too. I'm not saying that you should simp for your people's external enemies like /pol/, but unless there are major changes within your own country's political system, your selfless service and potential sacrifice will be rewarded by having your grave spat on by third world squatters.
>>
>>61526032
Words cannot describe how much I hate chinese "people"
>>
>>61528152
Also this might not be as much of a problem as in the US, but I find that the military isn't immune from the contemptable aspects of our generation.
>>
>>61526032
>definitionally offensive gain of function bioweapon release with coordinated world wide 5th column help
nah. Even if it was a lab leak, it was an absolute bumblefuck for the Chinks from the get go. There is no way this was coordinated other than after the fact, and rather badly as well
>>
>>61502586
French troops were notoriously shit in the campaign to liberate France in WW2. The US troops probably didn't get on well with British troops due to cultural differences, they might speak the same language, but still struggle to understand and relate to each other. I was in the British army and on tours I found the Americans to be really annoying with how they always seemed to be 'fake happy' and upbeat.
>>
>>61528596
It's because Americans don't live in a shithole swamp of a country.
>>
>>61492209
>What's something that war movies consistently get wrong?
A lack of rape. It is highly important. Rape is highly important psychological warfare. Raping women of an enemy who still fights you is production neutral. They're going to incentivize the people from areas who haven't hit yet to fight you harder.

Rape the men. Rape every man you capture. They will never be able to fight again. They'll be traumatized enough that you don't need to bother executing them. It is the Scythian way.

Rape is also a tool of occupation. After you have already conquered a people you rape anyone to prove you can: men, women, children, dogs. Same thing with random public executions. It is the Assyrian way.

It is the way of everyone today. If you an army that doesn't rape is an army that doesn't function.
>>
>>61525100
>I love my country
>I love Europe
Those two are mutually exclusive, especially for a Briton.
>>
>>61528596
>'fake happy'
Its not fake
>>
>>61529066
>Rape the men. Rape every man you capture.
The Russians tried that in Chechnya. The men they raped volunteered to become suicide bombers
>>
File: Admiral Fukyu Nyggah.jpg (137 KB, 894x1079)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>61529066
>A lack of rape. It is highly important. Rape is highly important psychological warfare. Raping women of an enemy who still fights you is production neutral. They're going to incentivize the people from areas who haven't hit yet to fight you harder.
>Rape the men. Rape every man you capture. They will never be able to fight again. They'll be traumatized enough that you don't need to bother executing them. It is the Scythian way.
>Rape is also a tool of occupation. After you have already conquered a people you rape anyone to prove you can: men, women, children, dogs. Same thing with random public executions. It is the Assyrian way.
>It is the way of everyone today. If you an army that doesn't rape is an army that doesn't function.
>>
>>61492263
The crushing of ones enemies. The lamentations of their women.
>>
>>61492209
Everybody has extensive and perfectly accurate intel about the objective. The plan is meticulously crafted in exquisite detail and carried out according to the letter but suddenly everything goes wrong because, like one guy dies. The mission was accomplished, and in a closing scene while everybody are being awarded bronze stars the hero can't help but ponder "BUT AT WHAT COST?"

vs

Knowing so little about the objective that the mission's purpose has changed 52 times in the last 12 hours, to include twice after being already en route to conduct it. "Nobody even actually knows what the objective is anymore so we're just sending it, good luck everybody!" Literally everything that can go wrong does. Everyone gets lost en route to the objective, have to be talked back on over radio, but comms quit working, but that ends up not mattering because you found it on accident. Also there's like 5x more enemy presence than expected, all hell is breaking loose, bullets are flying everywhere, things are exploding, you can't get air support or arty cuz comms are still down. The hooah oohrah hard charging machinegunner everybody was slightly intimidated by just shit his pants and is in the fetal position crying while the dorky nerd who sorta irritates everybody took over his gun and is laying down covering fire like he's goddamned rambo. Comms came back up, so air support is inbound, but its danger close so you have to run away. Things devolve into a 4 hour running gun fight that doesn't end until two 2,000 bombs get dropped.

This results in a grand total of 3 enemy KIA. The mission is declared an amazing success in order to hide the fact that during this entire shitshow somebody lost their NVG's. Everybody gets awarded achievement medals, but the paperwork gets lost and its downgraded to a handshake from the commander.

The mission was accomplished? I think? Fuck that was stupid.

(or, atleast thats what being there for most of the GWOT felt like)
>>
>>61521033
If you join with the understanding that you are just a small, disposable cog in a very big uncaring machine and nothing you do as an individual actually matters outside of the financial benefits you may receive some day when its over, its not too bad.

If you show up expecting to indulge your main character syndrome you'll just get ground down and spit out in about 4 to 6 years and turn into another obnoxious bro-vet who can't stfu about it.
>>
>>61496290
I like this part about Full Metal Jacket where it shows the whole "war is hell" but it also shows the Marines fucking enjoying it too. You know, that Jungian thing?
>>
>>61499400
Is my nigga in the background boofin a vaperino?
>>
File: 1618664188240.jpg (30 KB, 246x346)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>61534068
kek that's very true.'No plan ever survives contact with the enemy',
Reminds me of a shitshow I had happen in my section during a nighttime recce exercise
>three OPFOR bases in the woods
>three sections each assigned to one base to recce it out at night for an attack the next day
>get my guys all hyped up, get right up close to the camp, know literally nothing about it since our job is to do an initial recce
>come up to the edge of the camp running along a road, with a roaming sentry going up and down
>prepare to conduct a crossing drill to try and get around the camp and come in from the back
>my two point guys run across when we hope the sentry's gone far enough
>all hell breaks lose
>two guys disappear across the road, immediately hear shouting, torches getting shined, fuckers pouring out the camp looking for us, we pull back into the woodblock and hide
>they don't see us but they start sweeping the section of woods we're hiding in, realise it's only a matter of time before they find us
>only way out is through a river, my remaining bros and I all cross it and follow it down for a while
>can't find the other two guys we lost in the crossing
>end up coming round the long way, sneaking up to one of the opfor on sentry and bribing him with cigarettes to tell me everything about his unit
>start heading back shitting myself that I've lost two guys and need to establish a search
>the two motherfuckers in question come up out of nowhere,
>mfw it turns out that in the chaos, they managed to walk right into the middle of the camp, map it all out and then leave unbothered before finding us on the established way back
fun times
>>
>>61528088
they all fucking reek of coping ziggers
>>
>>61535625
>Thoughtful commentary on the state of Western military readiness, society at large, and the ongoing recruitment and retention crisis
>Calls out zigger incompetence on multiple occasions
>On topic as to the post he was responding to

I don't know what your purpose is or what exactly you're trying to shill, but your boss needs to hire new help.
>>
>>61536985
shut your whore mouth, its common for ziggers to extol how many ziggers need to die in their wars, like its anything other than zigger incompetence, the "will to bleed" its more accurately called "the shit to fuck and die for your slave drivers"
>>
>>61537033
A zigger would never use the phrase "Russian humiliation in 2022", or use proper English.
>>
>>61537033
>Anon is so irony poisoned by chickenhawk jingoism that he can't help but spout buzzwords and slogans at any post even slightly positive of Russia
>>
>>61531975
Bongs a re targic, frogs took their death of empire on the chin wrote dope ass dommer philosophy and then basically just took it all back in all but map painting with PMCs and foreign legionaries, bongs sob about how sad they are but are literally too stupid to put it into words so project their misery on to everyone.
>>
>>61505161
Hell, you add Ukraine with the WWI-style warfare and Gaza that is pretty much Israel constantly bombarding the civilians while crying about being a victim.
Modern warfare is gay as fuck.
>>
>>61537882
They did get fucked by FDR and Wilson, hard.
>>
>>61505161
Gulf? Some peacekeeping operation in Africa?
>>
>>61492263
Sure. It is the success, the fame, and the renown that comes with success that small-souled bugmen deny exists. So, when I want to know if something is glorious, I ask a shitlib. If he says yes, it is not glorious, because these sorts of "people" are small-souled bugmen by definition. If he says no, it is probably glorious, but maybe just a part of nature that the bugman is threatened by since he is normally insulated from it, and is actually neutral. To narrow it down, find someone who hates Jews, is White, and can bench 120 kg or more, and ask him if it is glorious.

If he says yes and the Shitlib says no, it is DEFINITELY glorious. If he says No and the Shitlib says Yes, it is DEFINITELY not glorious. If they agree it is a fringe case like inventing ice cream, or discovering Atlantis.

Ergo:
Thing Bugman Op Chad Op Actual Glory State
-Shooting Lions: Not Glorious Glorious Glorious
-Slaughtering Cattle: Not Glorious Not Glorious Not Glorious
-Owning a Castle: Glorious Glorious Glorious
-Being a Faggot: Glorious Not Glorious Glorious

In the past women were the keepers of glory and could act as sort of neutral arbiters of who was glorious or not, but this is no longer the case firstly because women foolishly entered the glory market themselves, and also because men can simply claim to be women now and then BTFO actual women at everything, so they must exist in a state of perpetual humiliation as mentally ill faggots pillage their gender role. This is basically the most just outcome I can think of, so I guess it's easy to see now how these sort of things come in waves.
>>
>>61505161
>seeking artificial glory which is just a propaganda tool
>not seeking true glory for yourself in the form of internal triumph

wew
e
w
>>
File: 1679676039832788.jpg (69 KB, 1024x648)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>61492209
To add what the other anons have said
>no buffer rodeo
>no garbage can jousting
>lack of playing monsterhunter in the day room with 3 other retards
>no random 2 hour formations for a shitty o6 promotion where the retard locks her knees and falls on her face(this is a true story)
>>61505332
fucking hilarious
>>61492469
I always crack up at like gramps as a e5 in movies/shows.
Will say though I had a tsgt in his 50s in my sqdrn lmfao.
>>
>>61520796
>retaining empathy and not relishing in bloodshed means you're A-OK with rape, torture and genocide
You are so fucking stupid anon.
>>
>>61539829
>the retard locks her knees and falls on her face(this is a true story)
Not the first time I've heard about things like this, but what exactly about locking your knees causes you to faint?
>>
>>61545116
Nobody knows but it's been a thing since Hector was a lance corporal and not only will you get yelled at for it you get yelled at again when you wake up
>>
>>61506260
10/10.
>>
>>61492209
Awards on service and dress uniforms. This ranges from mistakes only autists like myself notice to glaring errors like some US Army officer reminiscing about fighting in Hue City without a Vietnam Service Ribbon on his stack. The absolute worst I've seen was a USMC service alpha coat with sergeant major chevrons and 3 star general stars on the shoulders simultaneously. Can't remember the film for the life of me.
>>
>>61510878
not in europe it wasnt. u.s troops that served in western europe are no different than the jocko types. barley saw any action for any extended period of time. compare that to the marines in literal hell on earth conditions on okinawa
>>
>>61492251
>we have no comms trope

Literally every single fucking time I have stepped off for a training exercise or an actual mission our comms have shit the bed. Primitive signal will always reign supreme- star clusters, VS-17 panels, smoke grenades, etc. The new TSM radios are a fucking meme
>>
>>61536985
Retards like them believe that any criticism at all of Western militaries means you MUST be a vatnik
>>
As a based neverserved who has known a great many veterans of the Iraq and afghan war- I can say that modern war movies don’t accurately depict the individual traits and backgrounds of the various soldiers/characters. So many characters are portrayed as surface level, “heart of America” types. When in reality the military attracts all kinds of dudes, who have varying beliefs, taste, and upbringings.

The only war film/series that did this well was Generation Kill. And there’s never been anything made like it since.
>>
>>61492209
The lack of buttsex.
>>
File: nemtudom.jpg (6 KB, 259x194)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>61496290
>The vague similarities you have in universal human habits will make you fucking hate them more, as you fail to comprehend how someone you allegedly share the same species with is so devoid of conscience.
>>
File: 1679669990063622.jpg (741 KB, 1455x920)
741 KB
741 KB JPG
>>61545116
It restricts the blood flow around your knees and thus reduces the ammount going to your brain. I've seen it happen 5-6 times. Usually only happens during training when people are most retarded. Once the entire unit was staning in formation for hours due to repeated drug issues. The dude in front of me fell backwards onto me so I got to sit out and babysit him while he came to. Thanks guy lol
>>
>>61492209
in movies, everyone is screaming in combat in a hyper emotional state
IRL most people are pretty calm and talk normal and only shout if someone can't hear you
>>
>>61492945
why did they think people in the 50s talk like absolute faggots like this?
Its so fucking weird.
>>
File: IMG_4830.jpg (50 KB, 750x710)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>61496938
“Frankly, I had enjoyed the war“
>>
File: IMG_4857.jpg (642 KB, 1792x2048)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>>61532361
>>61529066
Kino.
>>
>>61496685
Finn here, and while I generally assume 90% of all stories on this board is bullshit from neverserveds, you used so many goddamn abbreviations I didn't even need to actually read your post to see that you're associated with the US armed forces.

Btw, do you know if you still use Carl Gustafs? I really like those things, I wish we could get them in addition to our KES/M72s.
>>
>>61551781
Not that anon but yes we do :^)
>>
>>61551781
Prior enlisted US Marine here. Gustavs are beloved by our combat engineers. I have only met a handful of grunts who lucked out and got to shoot one. I never did because I had a supportfag job. The Army, naturally, has way more to issue to more people 'cause they're swimming in cash compared to us.
>>
>>61551781
>>61551845
>The Army, naturally, has way more to issue to more people 'cause they're swimming in cash compared to us.
Can confirm. I was a Carl Gustaf gunner in the 82nd. I fucking hated that thing. Carrying it (or, god forbid, jumping with it) was fucking miserable.
Firing it was pretty cool the few times I got to. But not worth the pain in the ass.
That said, I never got in a real firefight. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I'd ever actually needed it.
>>
>>61516832
Anon, that some people do feel the way you describe doesn't mean everyone does or that it's correct. The problem is movies that treat it as a universal truth.
>>
>>61496609
>Little known fact about the American South is that certain pockets of it have some of the worst fucking climates on Earth
Spending an enlistment there is why winter is my favorite season now.
>>
>>61525876
And then maybe the three Sherman's spread the fuck out so the tiger has to fully commit turret traversal to fire on one of them

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.