[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1715116032451239.webm (3.92 MB, 1024x576)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB WEBM
Anons, with the rise of drone warfare, how do you think infantry training will evolve? Will we see a shift towards more emphasis on anti-drone tactics? Or perhaps a focus on avoidance over combating them? Will it effect the way soldiers are taught to dig trenches?
>>
>>61581839
More emphasis on cover and concealment. If its close enough that you're having to dance and dodge its fucking over as all it has to do is nosedive into the floor to scatter shrapnel all over the place.
>>
>>61581839
goofy ahh video
>>
>>61581839
I'm not really sure how this training is supposed to enable them to dodge the blast and shrapnel
>>
>>61581839
EW
Every time you see a Ukrainian drone video, it’s because they found a hole in vatnik EW defenses. Within these defenses, Russian soldiers are relatively safe,
>>
>>61581839
Extreme emphasis on not being spotted. IR laser discipline. Radio and EM signal discipline, increased hand signals to reduce audible footprint, thermal-hiding gear to reduce IR footprint, extreme spacing to prevent multiple casualties
>>
>>61581878
It's just for show, like the one where they try to stab pingpong balls with bayonets.
>>
do drones make good infantry themselves?
>>
>>61581839
>next lesson ivan
>today you're going to learn to dodge bullets!
>>
File: droneattack.gif (1.53 MB, 600x337)
1.53 MB
1.53 MB GIF
I believe EW will probably become a standard-issue piece of kit for soldiers, and will be required in any long term position.
>>
EW no longer works btw
Ukies are fielding ai drones already
>>
>>61582085
I'll believe it when I see it. Until it's proven it's just propaganda.
>>
>>61581983
>get issued individual EW kit
>survive the war
>die from cancer 5 years down the line
>>
>>61582478
That's for the veterans to figure out. The militaries job is to make sure you live long enough to do your job. Everything after is your business.
>>
>>61582085
>Ukies are fielding ai drones already
Sadly it will never get approved unless it can distinguish civilians from mobiks
>>
>>61583028
Or even friendly troops. If they use the blue armbands to distinguish each other with the drones then the vatniks will just start wearing them too.

>B-but that's a war crime!
They don't care
>>
>>61582577
Gee fuckhead, what the fuck are you going to do when people starting maiming themselves solely to avoid military again? It's almost like you shouldn't treat the foundation of your nation like shit
>>
>>61583081
Zoomies have already said that they’d mutilate themselves if a draft was implemented in the modern day. Doesn't matter how safe it is or how safe the equipment is. You can not make modern Americans fight if they don't want to.
>>
>>61583067
>or even friendly troops
Friendlies would be easy to deal with, you just mark them as friendlies electronically using some sort of physical chip that can change its ID every time Russians crack the current code and start trying to use it without authorization

I imagine the F-35 and that fancy helmet does something similar to this already
>>
>>61583395
Only issue I see is that trenches are filthy and stuff like that can be damaged, and what stops EW from jamming those? It’d need to send a signal to the drone.
>>
>>61583457
Why would EW be an issue if a drone is near friendlies? Either the drone gets accidentally fried and crashes or it doesn't meet any EW and is able to recognize the friendlies.
>>
File: 1693160878771889.webm (2.62 MB, 426x238)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB WEBM
>>
>>61582085
You are retarded.

This makes no sense from a power/battery standpoint. AI isn't like other code that can just run. It needs consistency from sensors, and clock speed to keep up.
>>
>>61583591
The whole point of the AI drone is that it doesn't need to worry about EW because it's controlled through transmitting. Issue is if Mr. Friendly is wearing a thing that sends transmissions to Mr. Drone, but it gets jammed by a EW, then Mr. Friendly is suddenly Mr. Enemy, Mr. Drone’s enemy.
>>
>>61583619
The only one of these Spetsnaz drills I like is the one where they're retreating prone down stairs backward so they can keep shooting. Of course impossible to do in full combat kit, but as a civvie it may be useful in that 1/1000000000 chance moment.
>>
>>61583774
>what is ROE
>what is danger close
It's not really a problem anon. Nobody wants active kamikazes on blindfire mode working next to them. When you launch it, you'll circle a defined fire zone on your tablet where it can go wild, and everywhere else is off limits. Same concept as artillery.
>>
>>61583774
>problem is if Mr. Friendly is wearing a thing that sends transmissions to Mr. Drone, but it gets jammed by a EW, then Mr. Friendly is suddenly Mr. Enemy, Mr. Drone’s enemy.
If the guy with the friendly marker is getting jammed, then chances are almost certain that the nearby friendly drone is as well, anon. It is a non-issue

>>61583813
This is probably how it will work. But there will still be civilians even in many frontline areas, so I am unsure how they will resolve this
>>
>>61583619
These dudes have so much style. Wish I could fly backwards up stairs while prone.
>>
>>61583837
I think they'll resolve it with a man in the loop. If your troops are in close combat or there are civilians in the area, the kamikazes will keep a man in the loop pilot and fail-safe. They might search or line up attack runs, or be free-fire vs vehicles or flying objects like other kamikazes, but they won't be able to attack humans without a button press from the squad drone operator.
>>
>>61583837
>If the guy with the friendly marker is getting jammed, then chances are almost certain that the nearby friendly drone is as well, anon. It is a non-issue
Sigh… you're still not getting it, are you?
>>
File deleted.
>>61581839
Russia is already training the mobiks for the drones. Not sure how effective it is tho
>>
>>61583880
>but they won't be able to attack humans without a button press from the squad drone operator
EW jams the button signal now the drone is useless

The whole point of an AI-driven drone is that it's EW-proof. It doesn't need external signals to function it runs on its own. You simply deploy it and it flies around and kills things.

Having shit like control tablets and friendly beacons defeats the whole point, as now those signals can be jammed by EW, making the drone useless.
>>
>>61583927
Looks like basic grenade drills since the drone dropped shit tends to blow up immediately or almost immediately upon contact. Also a good half of drone kills are probably Mobiks wearing vests filled with styrofoam. I suspect drones are a lot less deadly when you're actually protected.
>>
File: 1416224140666.png (61 KB, 242x364)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>61583837
>implying anyone will resolve this
>>
>>61583938
drones are just basically human-piloted grenades/mortar rounds. At the very least they'll fuck you up
>>
>>61583950
Yes but if your vitals are protected and you have plenty of quick-clot and tourniquets the threat significantly lowers. Hobby drones turned weapon of war are heavily limited in terms of payload, so it's not like they're gonna be dropping an arty shell on your head.

I'm not saying they're not deadly, but plastic helmets and styrofoam-filled plate carriers don't help you.
>>
>>61583759
top fucking kek anon
flight controllers totally don't run on RTOS
>>
File: 1713706666897.jpg (287 KB, 1080x925)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
>>61583081
Haha, yeah. You tell him!
>>
>>61581839
It's impossible for infantry to fight against drones, especially at close range on a suicide run.
>>
>>61583294
We drafted druggies, criminals, and niggers during Vietnam didn't we?
I mean, what are they gonna do? Frag officers again?
>>
>>61581983
>>61582085
just means we'll see more wire-guided drones with a huge spool.
or see recon drones that act as a repeater node.
>>
>>61581881
AI hunter killer drones will render this obsolete in the future, might even replace mines as area denial weapons. Also, you underestimate the ammount of power required for EW and the fact that EW units itself are priority targets for artillery and duh drones. That wagner movie is still the best unironically explaining this new modern warfare.
>>
File: 1710895917549072.webm (3.88 MB, 1280x960)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB WEBM
>>61582085
>Ukies are fielding ai drones already
Both sides are, in small numbers. The attached .webm is a demonstration from Ukrainian drone manufacturer Wild Hornets, and this video is a Ukrainian analysis of a captured Russian drone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6vtkQOsAIM

It's nearly 30 minutes long, but the tl;dw is that they added an Orange Pi 5 single-board computer set up as an ArduPilot companion computer and an analog video capture dongle to let the computer see through the pre-existing FPV camera. The Orange Pi runs computer vision inference on the camera feed to identify an object, and from there it would be as simple as telling the flight controller to fly forward while maneuvering so that the object stays in the center of the camera view.

>>61582157
>I'll believe it when I see it. Until it's proven it's just propaganda.
See above, and presumably you'll agree that Ukrainians would have no reason to put out propaganda overstating Russia's capabilities here.

>>61583759
Computer vision generally isn't that resource-intensive; the hardware mentioned above costs about $150 and wouldn't draw more than 15 watts.
>>
>>61582085
ew is a meme. to jam every frequency you'd need infinite energy.
>>61582478
>cancer from non ionizing radiation
just like everybody has died from phones, eh?
>>
>>61584592
Your phone isn't really all that powerful. Especially not when compared to an EW system. While it's probably not going to give you cancer like running around with an orphaned source in your pocket could it's still probably not going to be very good for your health to constantly be next to an always running high power jammer or something like that.
>>
>>61584645
you know normal heat radiation is more energetic by 2 orders of magnitude and heats you better and optical light like a flashlight has even more energy it's literally killing you every day!
>>
>>61581983
>EW will probably become a standard-issue piece of kit for soldiers
Lol lmao. You can (not) afford it
>>
>>61584750
I'm not saying it's going to give you turbocancer like the other guy, just that it's probably not great to spend nearly all day every day within a foot of your very own personal always blasting personal EW system for months at a time, which is exactly what would happen with that sort of setup.
>>
File: listening trumpet.jpg (902 KB, 3558x2832)
902 KB
902 KB JPG
how noisy are the drones ?
>>
File: smart shooter.webm (3.78 MB, 1280x720)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB WEBM
Shotgunner in squad or underbarrel shotgun + aim hack

GG Drone
>>
>>61582085
If and when drones like these become commonplace, we'll likely see lots of decoys and uniform patterns designed to fuck with ai. If you can control the inputs a machine adapts to, you can control the machine itself to a great extent.
>>
File: dronepilot.png (978 KB, 2400x1080)
978 KB
978 KB PNG
>>61581939
Camouflage your position. Use drones to check your camo.

If you are spotted in the open:
>Run and shoot (pic related)
>Do not hug a tree, play dead, or hide in another stupid way
>>
Looks more like a drone training for infantry warfare to me. It hits a few of them without much effort, and it is one of those cheap little mini drones -- not nearly as fast as the FPV drones in Ukraine.
>>
>>61583028
>>61583067
There are no friendlies or civvies in the enemy lines you retards.
>>
>>61584753
America can
>>
>>61585471
>0 iq Reddit tourists think lines are solid and civilians don't live in war zones
>>
>>61581839
It's literally just to make mobiks believe they might be able to survive drone attacks so they attack and die more peacefully.
It is entirely a morale exercise.
>>
>enemy infantry squad playing dodgeball with 1-2 small drones near ground level, confused why the drones aren't exploding even when they make contact
>friendly infantry squad opens up from the treeline no one's watching anymore
or
>friendly artillery sends them a complimentary 155mm
Rinse, repeat, shuffle in real kamikaze drones. War is so much scarier than when I was in.
>>
For my next trick, i'll cut this person in half
>https://twitter.com/gettylegion/status/1788230843003175296
>>
>>61581839
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTjerSd4IA
>>
>>61581839
>Anons, with the rise of drone warfare, how do you think infantry training will evolve?
given the "lessons learned" by nato during the counter offensive, it looks like lots and lots of torniquette training seems to be the big take away,

oh and uh
>>61585780
>It's literally just to make mobiks believe they might be able to survive drone attacks so they attack and die more peacefully.
>It is entirely a morale exercise.
what this guy said too^
>>
>>61584750
To be fair to the radiation fearmongers, heat radiation doesn't penetrate your body.
>>
>>61584189
>just means we'll see more wire-guided drones with a huge spool.
>or see recon drones that act as a repeater node.
Believe it or not, both of those have been done. (Attached pic is repeater drone, wire-guided drone to follow.)
>>
>>61584189
>>61590157
And the wire-guided drone.
>>
>>61581839
this reeks of desperation, if the drone gets that close to you, its probably close enough to explode into a shower of shrapnel
>>
>>61581839
The best way to survive drones is to not join infantry in the first place.
>>
>>61583619
>I am Painis Cupcake
>>
>>61583619
Is this how they make eunuchs in puccia?
>>
Just reintroduce flask
>>
File: 1696827757901558.webm (605 KB, 854x698)
605 KB
605 KB WEBM
>>61593121
More like this, I think.
>>
File: file.jpg (186 KB, 866x1390)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>61584592
>he fell for the reddit non-ionizing meme
lol i dare you to stick your head in a microwave and see what happens
>>
Infantry will probably get their own drones that protect them from FPV attacks. Just some super zippy drone that kamikaze rams enemy drones.
>>
>>61583619
Such is life in the zone.
>>
Not just me that's concerned the fact that drones are now becoming more weaponised to the point where potential terror threat could build these and send a swarm to us in NATO countries? I mean if the war between Russia and Ukraine taught us anything it's that we're unable to deflect the drones from blowing us up. AI drones are choosing a man's life. We're fucked. New age of warfare that's being perfected (yes I'm aware drones have always been in service but these little ones you can buy from a supermarket can be weaponised)
>>
>>61585150
A human or machine operator can't distinguish a guerrilla fighter in plainclothes or underground. That is a challenge in unconventional warfare that is often faced. A guerrilla in plainclothes looks the same under thermal optics or otherwise. That is why there are measures like checkpoints to check papers and "sniff out" insurgents.
>>
>>61593419
In Afghanistan this was an issue, the fighters could appear and disappear underground and blend into the countryside and population. This follows the principles of guerrilla warfare used by some special forces against the Taliban, who would disguise and blend into the population.
>>
>>61593430
The IRA used this principle as well, often their "uniform" was just jeans and a t shirt
>>
>>61582478
Same as asbestos in gasmask filters. Live until the war is won.
>>
>>61583591
Its a battlefield, the drone is frequently going to be near both enemies and friendlies at the same time, particularly when providing support to assaults
>>
>>61583619
What the fuck is the point of this? In what situation would you need to do this in?
>>
>>61584592
Haven't sperm counts been dropping ever since the average person started carrying a mobile phone?
>>
>>61584592
>ew is a meme. to jam every frequency you'd need infinite energy.
How do you achieve this level of midwittery?
>>
File: 1ebe784b34d75d1d.png (849 KB, 680x730)
849 KB
849 KB PNG
>>61594031
In any urban warfare scenario where the enemy has secured the corridors with soft soap.
>>
>>61594031
>In what situation would you need to do this in?
When producing videos for idiots.
>>
>>61593097
laughed
>>
>>61585769
does the civilian live in the trench?
>>
>>61590164
>>
>>61593397
mark my words someone will fly one with a fertilizer bomb into a power station OR a busy stadium and get all drones banned
>>
>>61581839
Standard issue scrim nets for concealing trenches and building ghillie suits.
>>
>>61581839
Watched webm first and didn't read
Thought it's new very funny drone footage lol lmao
>>
>>61593088
Well someone has to do it. Infantry is cheap and can actually hold ground.
>>
>>61581881
>drone autonomously homes in on emitter
EW is a meme
>>
>>61598502
>EW is a meme
Yes, but you don't even need to destroy jammers. You can completely ignore them. With a little bit of math you can embed, send and extract any information you want in white noise. So not only is it impossible to jam all frequencies but even if you did it would be completely useless against any protocol made with jamming or just noise in mind. That's why they can't jam starlink. Those simple fpv drones in Ukraine use analog signals on standard channels with no processing whatsoever and still get the job done in jammed environments.
>>
>>61596563
Fuck drones.
In fact we should ban all technology and go back to killing each other with swords and spears.
>>
>>61600231
Swords and spears are also technology, as are all the tools and processes required to get the metal out the ground and refined/forged into weapons in the first place.
Hitting your enemy in the head with a big stick? Big stick is also technology.
>>
>DUDE AI LMAO
You and what batteries nigga?
These things can hardly fly a bomb 2km , now you want to strap a very power hungry computah to it?
>>61584774
Ukranians have networked mics for detecting shahads
>>61584820
Kike scam product
>>
>>61599398
>Starlink runs in whitenoise
>Protocols arent designed with noise in mind
Are you retarded?
They cant jam starlink because the constellation is thousands of sats in LEO at a high frequency, microwave amps in that range are big money not COTS noise sinks + microwave amps resold by chinks.

Dunning kruger post
>>
>>61598477
Not if nobody signs up.
>>
>>61593397
This idea first hit my radar in 2020 when /pol/ was discussing sending a drone equipped with speakers to hover over BLM protests yelling racial slurs. All it takes is to up the level of animosity for the target and that exact scenario is a Boston Marathon bombing conducted with no immediate risk at all to the perpetrator. It seemed obvious that kamikaze drones would be a terrorist's dream in first world countries. People would be legitimately afraid to gather in public if shit like that started happening. Suicidal zealots aren't exactly ten a penny and since the Patriot Act it's mostly lone wolves who are inherently one and done, but with drones you get the same accuracy and public visibility and you can just do it again.
If it occurred to me and you it surely must have occurred to them too. Expect to see it in the next couple of years, most likely in Europe.
>>
>>61601209
>Dunning kruger post
funny that you mention that while posting a prime example of it
>>
>>61601200
>DUDE AI LMAO
>very power hungry computah
It's not, anon. I already addressed that point in this very thread:
>>61584591
>Computer vision generally isn't that resource-intensive; the hardware mentioned above costs about $150 and wouldn't draw more than 15 watts.
>>
>>61602669
>15w extra of sustained drain
>On a 100w battery that lasts 5-10min
>ontop of extra drag
Why do you think that video lacks any sort of warhead simulators for payload?
>>
>>61581881
Is this the new cope as we approach 500,000 KIA mobiks?
>>
>>61602722
A 100Wh battery being discharged in 5-10 minutes would mean that the drone already has an average draw of 1200-600W. Or looking at it another way, a computer drawing 15W would consume 1.25-2.5Wh of those 100Wh over a 5-10 minute flight. 15 watts simply doesn't make a meaningful difference here.
>>
>>61601357
how is this different than just planting a bomb
>>
>>61603028
If this was a box laying on the ground, sure
But the added weight and drag of this is going to create a draw in excess of 15w. All of this to have a slow CV platform fed by poor optics.
>>
>>61601357

Thing is, counter-terrorism is effective and people overestimate the level of animosity required.

Best way to kill a bunch of people is drive a van or truck through them. Terrorists have done this in numerous countries, but like you just don't see it happening anymore? Small arms can do a pretty big amount of damage as well.

What you're talking about is pretty technologically complex, and would probably get caught by CT/domestic intelligence. There are far easier ways to go about those goals, but people just dont?
>>
>>61583294
Hippies said the same shit, and still ended up drafted.

Oh well
>>
>>61581839
So this training tells me they all would die. Not a single dodge would work with a skilled drone operators
>>
>>61603159
How much weight and drag do you think are involved here, and what's the basis for saying it would be a "slow" CV platform?

And again, we're talking about something that's already being fielded by both sides.
>>
>>61603507
>what's the basis for saying it would be a "slow" CV platform?
It being a big little arm CPU and not dedicated CV silicon
>>
All this tells me is that infantry are useless against drones and that the best defense against drones is being near a friendly land or vehicle AA system.
>>
File: 1689753796509154.webm (3.89 MB, 1920x1080)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB WEBM
>>61603719
>not dedicated CV silicon
It has a 6 TOPS NPU, though.
https://www.cnx-software.com/2024/04/21/rockchip-rk3588-npu-open-source-driver-object-detection30-fps/

(Attached .webm is the video from the screenshot in my last post, for anyone who wanted to see it.)
>>
>>61603075
You can fly it into places that are hard to get a bomb into, and you're able to dynamically target it in real time. It's basically a mini suicide bomber that doesn't actually cost you a man.
>>
>>61593357
>t. no nothing retard
If you don't know what you're talking about don't open your mouth. It's RF burns you have to worry about, not spooky cancer causing 5g
>>
>>61603397
No, they didn’t. People who were smart got a doctor to make up an illness and disqualify them (see Biden, although obviously he isn’t the only one) or studied basket weaving at a university. People who wanted to protest more publicly either chose arrest or went to Canada.
>>
File: 1714926358025068.gif (17 KB, 360x315)
17 KB
17 KB GIF
>>61603397
Meds. Hippies werent real. Much like BLM and birds, it was a govt psyop
>>
>>61581839
Yes, we're already starting to see this.
>>
>>61604176
Literally nobody mentioned 5g retard. 5g falls under RF anyhow. Take your own advice
>>
File: 1554501158525.jpg (8 KB, 191x214)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>61582085
Can someone explain to me why this is a good or advantageous thing? Like you're telling me two nations that don't have working toilets in many places are going to field AI drones with out IFF on each grunt in the field?
>>
>>61584774
>great, a bird just sharted and now I have tinnitus
>>
>>61583619
So this how level 9 Systema looks like.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.