[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000027253.jpg (1.68 MB, 2770x3261)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB JPG
Have any other anons noticed consitently abysmal quality from Winchester in terms of their ammo? From the last few times I've picked some up I've gotten:
>Ammo that won't chamber (case length too long)
>Wildly inconsitent bullet seating
>Dead primers
>Tarnished brass
Pic rel is a box of .300 Blk I bought yesterday, notice the cartridge second from the left has a slightly crooked bullet. If this isn't something other anons have come across, what are the chances my LGS is selling factory 2nds as regular ammo?
>>
File: IMG_4204.jpg (3.17 MB, 4032x3024)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
I’ve had issues with some of their .38 special not chambering in my Colt, that’s about it
>>
>>61977001
Did you notice what specifically was wrong with the ammo? Was it the entire box or just 1 or 2?
>>
>>61977007
It was a few rounds per box. The rounds would not fully seat so the cylinder couldn't close. I didn’t really look closer though to see what the issue was
>>
>>61976975
I got a bunch of the 145gr 350L from them. the cartridges all had a ring of what looked like rust (like, iron rust, but on a brass case) near the base. that bullet design is also shit compared to every other projectile I've tried in 350L, being the only thing that occasionally hangs up my gun.
>>
>>61977031
>the cartridges all had a ring of what looked like rust (like, iron rust, but on a brass case) near the base.
I've had this but normally on the headstamp / around the primer
>>
>>61977046
any idea wtf it is?
>>
>>61977059
Not a clue, I've only ever seen something similar when I pulled some ammo out of a rusted mag
>>
>>61976975
Winchester went bankrupt quite awhile ago, and bits and pieces and the trademark got bought. New owners closed their old 140yo gun plant in 2006 and moved it to cut costs, shit has been shuffled around since, there are chinese knives now sold under the "Winchester" brand. I think the ammo side of things is owned by Olin Corp. I have gotten any of their ammo in awhile, but just FYI Olin has been around a longass time too but has had a bunch of shakeups in the last few years. They used to employ something like 2000 people making ammo at their HQ plant in East Alton Illinois but that's all gone now, sold off and place I think was demolished just in 2021 or so.

tl;dr: wouldn't surprise me if wherever they're doing ammo now that's cheaper is having production problems, I've seen that pretty much every time old well oiled places are deemed too expensive and canned. Given serious and obvious problems if you bought very much of it I'd consider asking for money back or suing in small claims then not buying again.
>>
>>61977102
>I think the ammo side of things is owned by Olin Corp. I have gotten any of their ammo in awhile, but just FYI Olin has been around a longass time too but has had a bunch of shakeups in the last few years. They used to employ something like 2000 people making ammo at their HQ plant in East Alton Illinois but that's all gone now, sold off and place I think was demolished just in 2021 or so.
Wow, thanks for the info dump. If that's the case then it'd certainly explain the quality dropping like a brick as of (relatively) recently.
>>
Been fukkin with guns since 2009 or so. I think over the years I've had the most failures with Winchester Super X compared to everything else. Tula was better. Just one anons experience
>>
>>61977206
>I think over the years I've had the most failures with Winchester Super X compared to everything else
Light primer strikes, ftfs?
>>
>>61977130
Yeah it's too bad. Big names like Boeing naturally get the media headline time, and I can't say that's even wrong they're strategically important, effective monopolies at this point and a huge fucking national headache. They deserve headlines. But the same basic problem of MBAs taking over, short term profit extraction at the expense of long term, is a disease that's hit a ton of old American businesses over the last few decades. It usually takes awhile for the effects to truly become apparent as they squeeze and squeeze but the downward spiral is depressingly consistent. Though at least with finished ammo there is competition, but still kinda sad to see old brands quietly eaten.
>>
>>61976975
Had a box of winchester 223 that chrono'd about 300-400 FPS lower than expected out of a 16 inch barrel

(avg 2350-2400 FPS)

Also ejection issues on their 9mm FMJ
>>
>>61977348
Yes, though I'd almost argue the horrendous SDs are even worse (though as you say when it's THAT under labeled mv that's also bad). Maybe they figure almost nobody buying the winchester name chronos the ammo so they can get more profit by underloading.
>>
>>61976975
they kinda just suck ass
winchester was what the guy was using in the miami shootout after all
>>
>>61977416
I dont chrono regularly but the impacts on steel were noticeably slower so I went and got it out
>>
>>61977250
Yeah a lot of those.
>>
>>61976975
My LGS had a sale on their white box 9mm. Figured "what the hell" and bought a bunch. Fucking mistake. Multiple primer failures (required second strike to ignite) per 100 rounds. Only ammo my P226 has not happily eaten. Only time I've ever bought Winchester ammo because I've consistently heard nothing good about it, but the price was (I thought) too good to pass up. Will not make the mistake again. Cut your losses OP and just never buy Winchester ammo.
>>
>>61977289
It's a symptom produced by the US legal system.
Publicly traded companies can be sued by their share holders if the share holders feel the company isn't doing everything it can to maximize profit. This incentivizes profit over everything else, everything. So of course quality, service, employee pay and benefits, and all other things will go in the shitter in the name of squeezing a few more dimes out of the machine to make the share holders happy, and stave off the inevitable lawsuits if they're not.
It's greed, and not just any greed but mob mentality greed.
>>
>>61978998
Dodge v. Ford Motor Co. was a mistake
>>
File: 1435469009427.png (834 KB, 852x449)
834 KB
834 KB PNG
>>61976975
Winchester (unrelated to winchester firearms or FN-H btw) and Remington ammo always had shit tier QC.
>>
>>61978998
this
>>
Wunbout lake city white box 5.56? Ive had no issues with 2000 rounds aside from 2 duds and some that smelled like cat piss. White box pistol ammo ive used is dirty and duddy though
>>
>>61976975
the only american made ammo you should buy is LC, everything else is trash with these kinds of issues. I stick to european, have had good luck with SIG branded ammo but its very expensive for what it is
>>
>>61983360
>the only american made ammo you should buy is LC
Anon I...
>>
Yes, I have had problems with Winchester shot shells not seating properly, though it was a Remington that I was shooting
>>
>>61983360
Federal has some ammo brands that are excellent, as is Speer, and various boutiques. There are lots of solid ammo makers.
>>
>>61976975
I've not had any issues with basic Winchester White Box 9mm or Greentips, but that's all I really get from Winchester outside of birdshot. Fiocchi and PPU has been my go to for all other calibers and that's been ok.
>>61983710
>Yes, I have had problems with Winchester shot shells not seating properly
Really? I've never had a problem with standard Winchester AA shells. I even reload them with buck and slugs, and I normally get 5 reloads out of a single hull before it starts to show signs of wear or separation.
>>
>>61976975
> .45 acp
Just about every box of target ammo I've had has a 10% FTF rate. The ammo just doesn't have enough energy to kick the slide back far enough to strip the next round out of the mag, but ejection is fine. It'll catch on the extractor groove and push the round nose up trying to feed. My hand loads cycle without issue.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.