[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

When I 3d printed a rocket for my M72 exactly 66mm in diameter it didn't fit the inner tube where the original rocket would sit. I measured it to be exactly 66.04mm. Had to print it at 64mm (could probably fit a 65mm) for it to fit, what's the deal? This is with a Norwegian M72A2, will test with a Belgian A3 tomorrow.
>>
>>61989196
3d printers always add a little extra material in the XY-plane. You just have to increase the clearances in the design to compensate.
>>
>>61989196
>3d printing is imprecise
>dimensions are nominal
I guess you learned something today, huh?

>I measured it to be exactly 66.04mm
Who cares what you measured the tube as. Measurements are usless when you don't know the tolerances. What does the technical documentation on the rockets say their diameter should be? You did at least look that up, right?
>>
>>61989290
I know, but I measured the inner tube with calipers and it measured 64.34mm (i double checked it before writing this comment)
>>
>>61989297
>You did at least look that up, right?
Yes, I tried to find it but I could only find the manual for the M190 subcaliber. So if you got something please share.
>>
>>61989303
You only measured it at one point along its length. It's not a perfect cylinder.
>>
File: M72cutaway.gif (5 KB, 626x161)
5 KB
5 KB GIF
>>61989334
No sure, but the smallest diameter is where the rocket sits. I tested it with multiple 3d printed models as well.
At the outer tube it measures 66mm, but at the inner tube where the rocket sits it measures 64mm.
>>
>>61989314
>but I could only find the manual for the M190 subcaliber
It's very common that the internet won't spoonfeed you what you need to know. Remember that google sucks for finding good answers directly, but it's excellent for identifying what source has the information you want. Find what book has this information in it with Google. If you're lucky you can find it online, if you're not you need to get a physical copy. First place I'd start looking is US army technical manuals and hope one of those has the info. They're usually easy to find online.
>>
>>61989350
Already did what you suggested, didn't find anything. Just thought I'd speed up the process by finding people who already have that information instead of waiting days for the books I need that will put me on a list...
>>
>>61989196
That is by design, basically. Besides what the others wrote, the rockets are wedged into the tube at the factory, so tight you can't remove them by hand. This is needed since the engine only burns for a split second, if the rocket left the tube before that it would only fly as far as a thrown potato and would burn the operator too.

>All fields
>>
>>61989504
This makes sense, if the idea is that it's a tight enough fit that the rocket motor can move it but otherwise it won't move, don't want the rocket to be knocking around inside the tube
>>
>>61989196
Simply slightly scale your 3D model in software and do trial and error. You'll arrive at the solution after a few tries.
>>
>61989297
the pseud is strong with this one

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.