[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: roklaserstarwars.png (2.49 MB, 1810x1574)
2.49 MB
2.49 MB PNG
> Block I program code named Star Wars makes South Korea the first military to weaponize directed light
> The weapon shoots lasers sustained at 20 seconds to overheat and fry targets each shot at around $1.45 each
> Extensive successful field test completed in 2022 will be deployed later in 2024
> Rand Corporation believe there will be significant interest from other countries, US, UK, Israel and Japan close to developing a similar weapon

Does this change the modern warfare battlefield?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/south-korea-preparing-starwars-laser-defense-system-take-out-north-korean-drones

https://interestingengineering.com/military/south-korea-laser-to-zap-norths-drones

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-07-11/south-korea-to-seeks-deploy-laser-weapons-against-north-s-drones
>>
>>62052511
>SK
I sleep

>deploy it in ukraine now or STFU
>>
File: israellaser_hdv.jpg (102 KB, 1000x563)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
No mention of power output = near useless, probably around 50kw, which has already been (very badly) weaponized on Strykers.
If power output doesn't matter to count for the purposes of determining "laser weapon", Israel weaponized low-kw laser systems years ago with Light Blade.
>>
>>62052637

> South Korea the first country in the world to deploy and operate laser weapons calling those weapons a game changer in the future battlefield.
> Israel, for example, is in the process of developing its own Iron Beam air defense laser system due to the increasing threat posed by terrorist groups like Hezbollah that use drones. In April 2022, Israel’s Defense Ministry announced that the laser system had successfully shot down drones, rockets, mortars, and anti-tank missiles during its initial round of tests. The ministry’s research and development department initially planned to deploy the anti-missile system by 2024.
> Many, like the United States, United Kingdom, Japan, and Israel, are close to deploying their own soon.

https://interestingengineering.com/military/south-korea-laser-to-zap-norths-drones
>>
>>62052511
Yeah they'll probably take out drone cameras by pointing the laser at the lens...call me when they can actually damage something.
>>
>>62052668
are you capable of forming your own thoughts or can you only copy paste from other web pages?
>>
The THEL was developed in 1996 and has shot down like 30 rockets and 5 artillery shells. It was fuck huge but lockheed is working on a truck sized laser weapon that is in the 500kw range. It would take ms to shoot down a drone or rocket.

boeing has a laser system that is 30kw and fits on the back of a pickup truck. Still powerful enough to shoot down artillery and drones from a mile away.
>>
>>62052522
If Russia keeps supporting the Norks it's possible it will happen, the Kremlin seems intent on pissing off as many major arms exporters as possible while bogged down in a hellish quagmire that is constantly bleeding onto their own soil as some sort of giga brained geopolitical strategy.
>>
>>62052522
Deploy yourself in Ukraine now or STFU.
>>
>>62052511
>intense blinding laser will now become common place in warfare rather than just for niche night raids with NOD's or to guide certain missile types at bunkers and bunkers build under hospitals
Start investing in laser safe glasses or goggles then if you enjoy NOT frying your corneas. Heck even at riots you need to worry about that shit now not that I'd ever go out of my way to join one but what if you hypothetically just accidentally drive into one? People will riot over fucking PS5's these days so it's a good idea to have them. Anyway I dunno much about Worst Korean lasers, I assume they're pretty good like the mobile artillery guns Samsung makes, to bad their modern phones are over hyped garbage though.
>>
>>62052972
Reminder that blinding weapons are explicitly banned by The Hague convention.
>>
>>62053549
So you mean to tell me, my ex-wife's face is literally a warcrime?
>>
>>62053549
Intentionally blinding weapons are, but even the scatter from high powered lasers can blind you.
>>
>>62053872
>scatter from high powered lasers can blind you.
In a lab maybe, irl it's impossible
>>
File: 301.png (1.38 MB, 1500x884)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB PNG
>>62052808
Putin must have an extra retared variant of Trudeau's policy.

>If you kill yourself and make as many enemies as possible, then you win
>>
Gookshill?
>>
File: 1720678869032008.jpg (46 KB, 792x581)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>62052814
>Deploy yourself in Ukraine now or STFU.
>>
>>62052511
> The weapon shoots lasers sustained at 20 seconds to overheat and fry targets each shot at around $1.45 each
Damn this inflation, I still remember the days a laser shot cost a dollar.
>>
>>62052511
More proliferation. You can bet both China/US are holding back on when to escalate this shit or not.
>>
>>62055362
China actually sold lasers to North Korea at some point, North Korea wound up using them on a few occasions. They were these laser rifle dazzler things. Very, very few pictures of these laser rifle dazzler weapons exist because they were shown at 1 weapon trade show and then China seemed to dump them shortly after signing the Blinding Lasers treaty
>>
>>62052511
>first military to weaponize directed light
That's patently false. Israel was already deploying Iron Beam back in October 2023.
>>
>>62055735
> trying to conflate chinkshit with bestinclass sk weapons

Implessive
>>
Wake me when the phased plasma rifle in a 40 watt range start general issue.
>>
>>62052637
Don't the Stryker lasers rattle out of alignment when you go over a medium-sized berm, or am i misinformed?
>>
>>62056258
misinformed
>>
Usefull without shells

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.