[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Rusty.jpg (61 KB, 900x506)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
When exactly did the company fall off?
>>
>>62073878
>>In June 2007, a private equity firm, Cerberus Capital Management, acquired Remington Arms for $370 million, including $252 million in assumed debt. It became part of Cerberus' Freedom Group.
>>
>>62073878
Early 1970's. The difference between my dad's ca 1967 model 1100 and mine from 1976 is night and day.
>>
>>62073878
early 2000s it was already getting worse 2007 was an extreme drop in standards of what was considered acceptable.
they were degrading before the buyout but still had standards. post buy out fuck it ship it.
>>
File: IMG_6604.jpg (58 KB, 1024x768)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
2007-2007 is when the cliff happened.
>>
>>62073878
I recently purchased a police magnum how do I find what year it was made?
>>
>>62073989
Curious what differences you see. I've handled a lot of 870s in gun stores and most of them seem to have nicer finish and maybe nicer wood the older they get but that's about it. Couldn't find a single 1980 or newer 870 in the used section for months which was interesting. Most were mid 70s.

>>62078303
holy fuck

>>62078927
Look at the letter prefix of the serial number.
>1950 - 1967: No Prefix
>1968 - 1973: "S" Prefix
>1974 - 1977: "T" Prefix
>1978 - 1983: "V" Prefix
>1984 - 1989: "W" Prefix
>1990 - 1990: "X" Prefix
>1991 - 1993: "A" Prefix
>1994 - 1996: "B" Prefix
>1997 - 2000: "C" Prefix
>2001 - ????: "D" Prefix
https://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27371
>>
>>62079715
so sometime during 1991-1993 if I'm reading this right.
>>
>>62078303
Ehh, it's crude, but they never break.

2007 is the cutoff. I worked as a smith at a Remington warranty center, the shop handled the entire west coast, and every Sportsmans Warehouse in the country. I've got some stupid fucking story's if anyone wants to hear them.

Most egregious fuckup on Remington's part has to be the rim cut issue on 870 barrels. It has been an issue from day fucking one of the 870, but it's more common on newer guns. If you've ever had an 870 fail to extract, it's because of this rim cut issue. The worst part about it is how easy it is to fix, and how easy it would be for Remington to correct their tooling at the factor so it would never happen again. Adding a simple bevel to the rim cut on the chamber reamer would solve every problem. I'd say 70% of the warranty work we got was just fixing the rimcut issue, which is 10 seconds with a dremel and a quick chamber polish to be safe.
>>
>>62084064
>stories

Always enjoys these, lemme pour a dram while you type.

How about the worst thing you’ve seen that was a factory issue?…and the worst thing you've seen that was obviously a customer issue?
>>
>>62084064
>2007 was the cut off.

Are those new V3s and V3 TAC 13s in that category? I heard Remington got a bit of a QC uptick after the Sandy Hook bankruptcy judgement, when some other people picked up some pieces.
>>
>>62084358
>I heard Remington got a bit of a QC uptick after the Sandy Hook bankruptcy judgement
I've heard the same rumor, but I am skeptical as it seems very soon to make that kind of judgement.
>>
>>62084064
One thing I'd love to know: I'd heard that the 2007 quality drop affected the main line of Remingtons, but the police models were supposedly made in a different facility and did not suffer the same QC drop. Can you comment on that? Any truth to that or is it nonsense?
>>
>>62073878
i've got a 1952 870. thing is sweet and smooth as shit. can't post it because i'll get banned since there is a flag that the janny doesn't like
>>
>>62084358
I quit working there before those models came out, so can't really give much input.
>>62084318
Worst factory fuckup I saw was probably a 597 that had no rifling in the barrel. I can't even wrap my head around how that even happened.

Worst customer fuckup as far as damage is concerned was a guy who had a 25-06 Remington 700. The gun was completely locked up, stock cracked and the striker assembly had literally stripped out the threads in the bolt and was missing. Turned out he accidentally chambered a .308 round and pulled the trigger, by sheer coincidence, .308 fits perfectly in a 25-06 chamber. I had to remove the barrel from the receiver to figure out what the fuck had happened.
>>
>>62084505
Nonsense. They all came out of Ithaca NY. It wouldn't surprise me if they took a little more time to check them over though. Most of the problems were in final fit and QC. 700's really didn't have any major issues short of the bungled trigger recall. That recall was BS, it only happened because of a court case Remington lost, there was nothing really wrong with those triggers as long as you kept them clean.

The guns that put Remington on the map, like the 700, 870 and 1100 were still fairly reliable, just maybe needed a little tuning on every 100th gun, but they gave up on trying to make them pretty. The new models that came out during that period were utter crap, the 597 often had excessive headspace, the 770 would snap off bolt handles, fail to eject and jam the bolt shut, the 887 (which is a copy of a Benelli Nova) would rust out the trigger group if it ever saw water and the action bars were too short which caused constant missfires, the Versamax was surprisingly the only new model that didn't seem to have too many problems, but it is a copy of a Benelli M4, so they started at least with a good design.
>>
>>62084609
>Nonsense. They all came out of Ithaca NY
Interesting, as Remington had the following on their website:

>While the 870 Express is still an 870, the best pump shotgun on the market, there are some very important cosmetic and functional differences between it and the 870 Police.
To our customers in Law Enforcement, Military, Corrections, and Security, whose lives depend upon the unfailing performance of Remington shotguns, the Police modifications are of paramount importance. Synopses of the variances are provided below.
>• 870 Police shotguns go thru a special 23 station check list - ranging from visual inspection, functional testing, test firing, and final inspection.
>• All Police shotguns are assembled in a "special build area" at the plant in Ilion, NY. This section is secured and serves only to build LE and Military shotguns, with the same factory personnel working at that assignment each shift.
>• All parts that enter the "special build area" are visually inspected by hand to ensure top quality and functionality.
>>
>>62087127
Sorry, mixed up Ilion with Ithaca. I worked on quite a few police guns as well. Only the 700 had "special" parts that weren't just simple accessories like stocks or rails, it basically had the old style adjustable trigger in it. I guess you could say the 870 had a special barrel option, it could get a shorter than 18" barrel on police only models. Everything else was bog standard remington. Like I said, they got looked over a little more closely before leaving the factory, but nothing more than that.
>>
>>62078303
I have a 1988 Express I built to 870P specs and it’s justasgood, I have an 870P SBS that was made between 2005-07 and it’s held up nice. They boogered up the mag tubes, end caps and most everything else.
>>
File: 1717703771402482.jpg (91 KB, 828x621)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
I ended up with a remington shotgun in college due to a local private sale deal I literally couldn't pass up, despite having no interests in shotguns. On an extended camping trip it spend a few days in a trunk and came out rusted to shit. Not to mention the internals were shoddily made. It was made in 09 I think. I cleaned it up and sold it immediately, and refused to sell it at a higher price than I paid for it despite that being market value. I refused to profit on that motherfucker of a thing.
>>
>muh rust
just cover it in oil retard
>>
>>62084609
>the Versamax was surprisingly the only new model that didn't seem to have too many problems, but it is a copy of a Benelli M4, so they started at least with a good design

Explains the prices on GunBoomer then.

Thanks. Going to stalk a V3 TAC 13 now.
>>
>>62079715
Remington uses a 2-3 letter barrel code to date their guns.

B - Jan
L - Feb
A - Mar
C - Apr
K - May
P - Jun
O - Jul
W - Aug
D - Sep
E - Oct
R - Nov
X - Dec

And the second/third letter shows the year, that is far too long to list. https://www.remingtonsociety.org/manufacture-dates/
>>
>>62084528
maor stories.
>>
File: g1.jpg (187 KB, 900x600)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
Remington should do another revision of the R51. It's ugly and apparently is garbage to shoot but they were friggin cheap.
>>
>>62090015
>Everything else was bog standard remington.
Even more confusing. I left this out of the earlier post to save space, but Remington's website went on to say the following about the police model 870:
>Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.
>A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5 and 8 lbs.
> A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber.
This ensures positive feeding when using heavier payload rounds.
> Police shotguns do not have an ISS (Integrated Safety System) which is a locking mechanism on the safety of commercial shotguns. This type of locking mechanism can cause delay to an officer who needs the weapon but does not have the appropriate key. LE shotguns have the standard, proven, cross bolt safety.
> The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock down as used on the Express system.
>The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.
>Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal cast which are utilized on the Express models.
>>
>>62091176
Most of that boils down to we are using the old style of barrel and non dimpled magtube and the old trigger group. All of that stuff was general default parts and the new default became worse
>>
>>62084528
>no rifling in the barrel
Lol that reminds me of anon's friend's pistol that had no rifling years ago.
>accidentally buy a factory unregistered AOW
>shit keyholes and shoots like a shotgun
Sounds like a great ratshot gun though.
>>
>>62090818
What is wrong with you?
>>
>>62084064
Anon, know anything about a wobbly barrel? I have a 90s 870 Police Magnum and that barrel really doesn't sit super tight in the receiver like I'd expect. Then again I have never owned a pump shotgun with a barrel that isn't screw-in before. Curious if that's normal or I need to solder a shim to my barrel/replace the barrel. Gun looks like new.
>>
>>62091847
NTA but my barrel (70's) police trade in doesn't have any wobble. Granted it's not a magnum (which I don't think would make a difference)
>>
>>62090968
>It's ugly and apparently is garbage to shoot but they were friggin cheap.
Hi Point has that market cornered.
>>
>>62091847
I have an 870 Express Magnum from that time period and there’s no barrel wobble, you might really want to take a look at your gun before you shoot it again.
>>
>>62078303
Literally nothing wrong with that as long as the mating surfaces are good.
t. engineer
>>
>>62091889
>>62091937
Well fug. I was going to get a Carlson's barrel eventually anyways. And I was wrong, it can be rotated about .5mm (judging by the exterior of the barrel compared to a line on the receiver). You can make it wiggle just a hair. Hope it isn't my receiver...
>>
>>62091847
little bit of play is normal.
if its still moving after you tighten the mag cap its not normal.
>>
>>62092080
Huh, there was an extra 95% of a click in there when I tightened it. Very hard to move side to side now. That was bugging me, thanks anon. I wanted to get a rail for it and that was always in the back of my mind.
>>
>>62092130
so the mag cap wasnt on all the way, good that you figured it out now and not when shooting
>>
>>62084064
I heard through forum searching Remington used to say that the receivers were too thin to drill and tap for a rail. Then they started doing it on certain models shortly before they got bought out and it was never an issue. Was there any truth to that? Or did they never say that and it's just forum fuddlore?
>>
>>62092053
>what are stress concentrations and fatigue loading
t. aerospace engineer that actually builds shit
>>
>>62091847
>>62091937
Neither of mine wobble at all when put together. My older 870 Express is a little sloppy with the Surefire forend in that it will such maybe a 1/4 inch when standing up. My 870P doesn’t jiggle at all. Maybe that’s a spring issue?
>>
>>62073878
Ages ago when they started importing MP 153s from Russia (not actually a bad gun) and re branding them as Remington. They were not a gun maker at that point just a label
>>
File: 1644902515783.png (815 KB, 936x890)
815 KB
815 KB PNG
>>62073903
I hate equity firms SO MUCH
>>
>>62092053
>t.Boeing employee

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.