[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

would thiccc mud actually eliminate your thermal signature?
>>
No. The mud would equalize to your temperature after a short time. If you're submerged that would be different.
>>
>>62080074
For a short amount of time, then your body would heat up the mud.
>>
>>62080105
>>62080099
Hivemind
>>
>>62080074
It would briefly lower it (until the mud warms up) if you look on YouTube people have tested it and it’s not the worst strategy
>>
>>62080074
Remember that they werent "just" in a steamy, hot jungle, but it was actually a heatwave. "Only in the hottest years" the chick said.

In other words the predator's equipment was already working with a razor thin margin as it was.
>>
>>62080140
>In other words the predator's equipment was already working with a razor thin margin as it was.
This is dumb because the mud would have made him an easier target by adding contrast to the heat.
>>
>>62080074
Only while the mud stays wet and his backdrop is also wet mud at the same temperature.
>>
>>62080118
Nigger they are saying the logical thing.
Albeit withoit any proof.
Its not hivemind if you ask "what color is sun?" Qnd the next 5 people reply "yellow".

Hivemind refers to either original or obscure ideas that at seemingly impossible odds pop up under same topic
>>
>>62080348
the sky is blue asshole
>>
>>62080074
Yes. Dogs will still find you easily though.
https://youtu.be/GoqsBQYM4lY
>>
>>62080074
Yes and surprisingly it really doesn't have to be that thick either.
>>
>>62080140
I always assumed that predators come from hot planet and they could only hunt when the environment was warm enough for them.
>>
My assumption is that the helmet was adding an environmental filter, which is why the supposedly hot jungle was showing up blue. When it takes off the mask at the end, Arnold almost disappears against a backdrop nearly as hot as him. I figure the mud just covered him with visual noise, rather than hiding his body heat.
>>
>>62080348
The sun is white though.
>>
aluminium foil (shiny side) would work better
t. has worked on thermal design for a space instrument
>>
One of my drill sergeants told me that grill covers can hide you from thermals
Has any anon ever tested it out?
>>
File: vietnamese sappers.jpg (796 KB, 3020x2016)
796 KB
796 KB JPG
>>
>>62080444
wouldn't it heat up eventually if close enough to the body?
>>
>>62080448
I mean, an umbrella or tarp can
>>
>>62080140
>>62080171
>>62080386

In retrospect the Predator is a tourist faggot for using thermal vision AND a cloaking device.
>>
>>62080455
if you make a spacecraft and cover it entirely in shiny surfaces, especially gold, then yes. on land where there's air to carry the heat away? no
if you stick a gold covered sphere in space at the same distance from the sun as the earth it'll eventually heat up to several hundred degrees celsius. cover it in white paint and it'll stay around room temp
>>
>>62080455
It looks far "colder" even if it's at the same temp.
>>
>>62080448
There's nothing magical about thermals, its just another spectrum that you need to think of in terms of temperatures instead of shades of visible colour
Sort of like if you hide behind a black sheet on a dark night, I can't really tell what colour clothes you're wearing behind it, or if you're hiding behind that black sheet and I'm looking at it through thermal imaging, I can't tell what temperature you are behind it either because the sheet is the same as the ambient temperature around it.
If that makes sense?
>>
File: 1500098162138.png (185 KB, 483x470)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>62080479
>if you stick a gold covered sphere in space at the same distance from the sun as the earth it'll eventually heat up to several hundred degrees celsius. cover it in white paint and it'll stay around room temp
r-really...?
>>
>>62080484
so thermal doesn't actually show heat as such, it shows the thermal "vision" of heat?
>>
>>62080492
yes, it's due to the epsilon to alpha ratio of whatever surface coating you use
if you look at any spacecraft you'll find it uses different coatings on surfaces that face different directions. you use MLI (multi layer insulation) on surfaces that see sunlight, and then white paint on surfaces that are shaded (radiators). then you can control the temperature by adding an appropriate amount of heat via electric heaters. there's a whole bunch of other ways to do it, including entirely passive control, thermal "blinders" (venitian blinds) that are controlled by bimetal thermostats etc etc
>>
>>62080425
We would be dead if that were true, because the sun would be about twice as hot. Rather, the sun probably used to be white and is gradually turning more and more red.
>>
>>62080503
thermal vision shows infrared radiation. if you choose a surface coating that doesn't emit in infrared then you look black. think of it like color, except for longer wavelengths. a green surface is green because it reflects green light and absorbs red and blue light. it also emits some red and blue light and a lil' bit of green but at room temperature the emitted power is too low to see with the naked eye. a hot item will emit thermal radiation in the visible spectrum visible to the naked eye, starting in the deep red and getting more and more white the hotter it gets
>>
>>62080503
Shows heat (emission intensity) not temperature (wavelength).
Aluminum foil still needs a second layer on top (brushes) at room temperature because by its own would look even more conspicuous (huge cold spot with reflections of its surroundings)
>>
>>62080503
>>62080508 (me)
oh and to be clear, gray mud is terrible for this purpose. you'll likely emit black body radiation just as well as an any other matte surface
>>62080510
you'd tweak the emissivity to be as close to a room temp black body as possible. maybe weave aluminium and cotton together
>>
>>62080514
>maybe weave aluminium and cotton together
That sounds as a better solution
>>
>>62080517
it's also how passive thermal regulation in spacecraft is often done. see the stripes of alternating coatings in picrel for example
>>
>>62080425
The sun becomes black if you look at it long enough
>>
>>62080612
Carlos!
>>
>>62080507
>gradually turning more and more red.
Over paradise?
>>
There was a Mythbusters episode on this, it works for like 5 minutes or so until your body just heats up the mud as other anons have pointed out.
>>
wouldn't a suit with cooling system through it and set to roughly match external temps make you invisible to thermal?

I have nfi how you'd do that practically. ammonium nitrate only lasts 30 mins
>>
>>62080074
Yes but not for long. Eventually, your body warms up the mud and the mud now has a human shaped thermal sig. You basically need to be adding more mud every few seconds.
>>
>>62080353
/Thread

Anyone who says otherwise is coping.
>>
File: iStock-1220533519-scaled.jpg (251 KB, 2560x1702)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>62080448
Cloth can hide thermals. The trick is that you need to keep the cloth cool. Dump water on it, keep it ventillated, have an air gap between it and any heat source.
>>
>>62080353
I was surprised how good this video was. They had some nice thermals. What a lot of people miss is thermals, even nice ones, are pretty low resolution. Its not hard for a person to blend in under thermals, especially in a hot environment. You can look like part of the terrain without trying. Gen 3 cooled vehicle mounted thermals are another issue altogether. But handheld thermals have a hard time discerning people from rocks at 100 yards.
>>
>>62080451
Third guy all the way on the right... he doesn't look so good.
>>
>>62080612
Vgh...
>>
Anyone saying no is a cocksucker

https://youtu.be/GoqsBQYM4lY?si=Tatho91hjBOdVG2u&t=410
>>
File: spectral1.webm (2.34 MB, 800x480)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB WEBM
>>
>>62080074
For a short period it would, until it absorbed your body heat.
>>
>>62080477
Explain.
>>
>>62081647
>short period
>hours
>>
>>62080507
>Google search
>sun is white
>>
>>62080074
Water would evaporate from the surface cooling it while the bulk of the mud would resist heat flow from steamy arnie to the surface enough to keep him hidden.
>>
>>62081009
Mutated from Agent Orange exposure.
>>
>>62080477
this
>>
>>62081158
When they said we were getting thermal cloaks, I pictured cool shit like capes or Danish Frog Corps. Oh well, if it keeps the FPV drones away, homeless wizards it is.
>>
>>62080976
Wrong
>>
>>62082570
It takes literally seconds for mud to get heated to your body temp.
>>
>>62080348
Thanks for the heads-up, reddit spacer.
>>
>>62080171
>mud covered logs
>Mud covered man
>Same temperature after a minute of exposure to hot wet air
>>
>>62080074
It's been publicly tested for entertainment purposes twice:
The first was many years ago during the 2000s, on an episode of Mythbusters. They used lots of damp soil, but no mud - being covered in cold potting soil fooled infrared cameras for a few moments, but after 30-60 seconds, it became totally useless.
The second was last year by Brandon Herrera - they actually used thick wet mud, and - being forced to operate solely by infrared camera - it completely fooled the thermal sensors for nearly half an hour, before they finally took off the goggles and just found the muddy bastard sitting next to a tree.
>>
>>62083671
>I HECKIN LOVE SCIENCE guys just shrug and say "close enough" instead of doing due diligence and give everyone bad information that gets repeated for years
>Caveman has to prove them wrong
This has happened so many times over the last century it's mind boggling. I fucking hate nerds so fucking much.
>>
>>62080361
They do. Though I am not going to go by their weird ass name, their home world orbits near a red giant. Its mostly desert with some oasis locations that serve as locations they built their cities around.
>>
>>62080425
>>62080507
So...would it be even worse if its was blue?
>>62080612
No, that's your cornea frying.
>>
>>62083839
>>62080361
Wouldn't it make more sense for a heat-sensing creature with a high body temperature to be from a cold environment, meaning he was testing himself in an extreme environment on earth?
>>
>>62083861
They are serpentine, they show as cold blooded on their own scopes.
>>
>>62081158
kek at first I thought this was a ukranian watching a russian carry off a dead dog to eat later
>>
>>62083851
>No, that's your cornea frying.
Good job perpetuating globalist disinformation.
>>
File: predhand.jpg (7 KB, 311x162)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>62083873
Wrong
>>
>>62083075
Look up reflectivity indexes.
>>
>>62084839
>>62083873
The "thermal" sight you are referring to is actually 3 different optics that operate in unison. But can be operated independently. It's shown in the first predator film iirc. The lore hasn't exactly extrapolated on what the third thing is, probably x-ray, or spectroscopy, since the other two are probably thermal and night vision.
>>
>>62084869
They naturally see in thermal
>>
>>62080451
Cultural appropriation.
>>
>>62080757
Works surprisingly well initially though and in the movie that’s exactly what happened
>>
>>62080074
it has to be muck not mud and you have to be made of muck.
muck man muck man
man of muck
muck of sin
sin of man
man of muck
>>
File: 1508298125.png (193 KB, 503x446)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
>>62082334
NTA

Because the movie is using every subliminal trick and subtle spooky behavior it can in the cinematography book to invoke stuff like the spirit world and nightmare dream sequences to invoke the symbolism of demonic spirits for the Predator. The Predator winds up doing some very silly and dumb things considering he is supposed to be hunting inna woods in an advanced space civ version of a camping trip.
Imagine a black tech tacticool marine setup in 20+ different camouflage paint settings for the sole purpose to go out and hunt deer at ten feet, but then you get fascinated by the 10,000x zoom on their horns and eyeballs so you just sit there and watch while the spooked deer gore you to death.

That is the Predator from the first movie.
>>
You're all wrong the sun is actually purple.
>>
File: ShiddingWipes.png (198 KB, 721x441)
198 KB
198 KB PNG
>>62080451
those are some good looking twinks
>>
File: Clay_Mineral_Structure.jpg (107 KB, 860x705)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>62080348
>>62080099
>>62080105
>>62080118

It's not so much that it absorbs your hear but the phyllosilicates in the clay might disperse the return signal. Also they are hydrated with water molecules between each sheet of the structure so your temperature would be buffered for a while. Worth looking at with a super easy experiment but I don't have a thermal. Mineralogy suggests it could work at least temporarily, especially when background contrast (like with Arnie in Panama) is basically null. Worth an experiment to examine but I don't have a thermal. Key thing is difference in ambient from target. There is a reason why heaters were a skill weapon for US/IDF drivers in hot climates and a "should have sticked with Polo, Jorge" button for the RN in the frosty falklands
>>
>>62083783
They just didn't want to get proper muddy.
>>
>>62080353
>one video btfo's years of fuddery
I love it when this happens
>>
>>62080074
>would thiccc mud actually eliminate your thermal signature?
Yes, so does heavy sweat
>>62080105
>For a short amount of time, then your body would heat up the mud.
The sweat will actually work continuously
>>
>>62092543
>t. Predator
>>
>>62091854
I wanna test now
>>
>>62091854
>the return signal
do you think a thermal scope is a like a radar or something? lol
>>
>>62092977
Cute, dipshit. The return off the target. Passive sonar also uses return as the signal term. Are you disabled or a tourist?
>>
Wasn't the jungle so hot that ambient temp and body temp would essentially be the same, and therefore mammals would barely show up on thermal? I bet that jungle was 98 degrees or thereabouts.
>>
>>62093048
yes I am disabled. how dare you?
"dispersing" thermal radiation doesn't work. you just turn yourself into more of a black body. there's a reason thermal radiation shielding tends to be shiny
>>
>>62092977
>thermal
>radar
It's all the electromagnetic spectrum. (You), however, are on an entirely different spectrum.
>>
>>62092977
He does because he's an idiot, but at the same time if the sun is out you are reflecting heat as well as releasing it, mud could well mask your body temp by reducing infrared dumping in bands that IR cameras use.
But you'd have to test different materials.
>>
>>62093082
you do know that different parts of the EM spectrum react differently with different materials, right?
>>62093098
true, the only way to settle it is to actually measure the emissivity across the relevant parts of the spectrum

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.