[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: I wish.jpg (68 KB, 1212x529)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Hello /k/ I'm building my first firearm an AR pistol with the goal of indoor range shooting but mostly home defense, I've done a ton of research but I am still completely new, I thought it would be a good idea to see what you guys think.

Lower-https://ar15discounts.com/products/aero-precision-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver/

-Upper/pistol kit: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-11-5-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-10-5-lightweight-hex-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit.html

Cool looking flash hider-
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-muzzle-devices/ar-15-accu-tac-flash-hider-22-cal/?sku=965000086

Iron Sights - https://palmettostatearmory.com/midwest-industries-combat-rifle-sight-set-front-rear-mi-crs-set.html
>>
File: 9dcca26e9bd4d5ed.jpg (7 KB, 300x168)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>62084290
>AR pistol
>>
I'm not going to help you, because you sound like a fuckwit who googled "kac sr16" after reading it in a news article
>>
>>62084290
OP, for your first rifle I'd go with a midlength 16 inch one. If you want the shortest possible length without dealing with SBR stuff or having to use a gay brace thats your best option and midlength is best for that barrel length.

We dont know whats going to happen with the election. It looks like Trump will win so no AWB, but Zion Don is known for double crossing people so even then.

I recommend:

M4E1 ENHANCED COMPLETE UPPER 16 5.56 HBAR MID-LENGTH
Any complete aero lower
warhammer charging handle
full auto capable bolt carrier

Dont forget to stock up on mags too
>>
>>62084345
I just thought it looked cool idk where I saw it first
>>
>>62084349
I never considered a 16" because I think they look ugly and gay. But you probably do bring up a good point.
>>
I gotta bump this shit nobody even got a COMMENT on the parts? THEY LOOK GOOD OR WHAT
>>
>>62084634
no it's all junk.

Brownells Daniel Defense stripped 14.5" SOCOM upper
surefire sf3p
milspec charging handle
microbest phosphate bcg
throw it on a complete PSA lower, add an h1 buffer and a mbt-2s when you get a chance
>>
>>62084634
There's an entire general for ARs. Go there. They will bully you, but it will be for your own good.
>>
>>62084362
Based as fuck and being honest about your goals. Don't let /k/opers tell you aesthetics don't matter when they run up their Mom's credit cards on the regular for "clone correct" garbage with functionality 20 years in the past..."b-b-but muh high speed low drag!" they'll say!
>>
Just buy the finished gun. The fact that you'd ask here means this isn't for you. If you've "done a ton of research" you would just do it.
>>
>>62084647
PSA parts are perfectly fine, unless you run $10,000 worth of ammo through your rifle in which case you're going to have to replace a handful of easily swapped out wear items like the bolt face and gas rings. Oh the horror
>>
>>62084663
>PSA parts are perfectly fine
yeah yeah just like the JAKL is a totally great gun, right up until people who aren't paid to shill it get their hands on it.
>>
>>62084670
>Comparing a new, relatively innovative design that's gonna have teething issues vs run of the mill AR parts and assembly that have long been figured out

PSA cares more about the 2nd Amendment than any of your tacticool military or adjacent contractor companies that wouldn't give a single shit if civilians were banned from purchasing their products.
>>
>>62084651
Oh I had no idea, probaWbly will do that
>>
>>62084647
I make 40k dude im tryna buy a house
>>
first gun, get a standard 16” PSA. this is the best advice you’ll ever hear
>can be had for less than $400 (so who cares, unless you’re a broke nigger and think $400 is a lot)
>it will function fine bc it’s an ar but you will likely get some hiccups occasionally that will teach you important lessons about operation and how to manage failures
>it’s accurate enough to where you can hit what you want
>if you are a builder, you will be happy when you bought a bargain gun because you’ll probably fuck up the barrel if you shoot it out or when you change muzzle devices or swap hgs or something and put scratches on it
i got an fn for my first gun and beat it up and fucked the barrel and all that bc i actually shoot and i wish i got something cheaper but this was a while ago and we didn’t have cheap shit on the market like today. if you plan on shooting and using it then don’t get something nice for first gun and build up to it. it’ll be a lot cooler when you actually get nice stuff. starting from the bottom of the PSA junk bin lets you learn more about the gun and you can get something that you know you like in the future
>>
>>62084655
Checking those dubs, also I hardly know what that means but fuck yeah dude.
>>
>>62084680
>Comparing a new, relatively innovative design that's gonna have teething issues
The problem is there are glaring QC and other issues with the JAKL that are relevant whether AR-15 or not. Like they didn't even manage to cut the picatinny rail to spec. That's not a JAKL problem that's an incompetence problem. The problem is also the same as with their AR-15s: every review says they're fine, when in reality that is often not the case.
"oh well if it's out of spec just send it back!" how about fuck you if I wanted to pay to have my time wasted I can think of a lot better ways.
>PSA cares more about the 2nd Amendment than any of your tacticool military or adjacent contractor companies
That's true and I think it's really great. That doesn't make their guns any higher quality though.
>>62084689
Ok, then don't waste almost $200 on iron sights. Seriously. Buy a cheap sig/holosun red dot and some plastic mbus.
>>
>>62084651
/arg/ is the worst general on 4chinz. Go there to lose brain cells and any bit of rationality you had. It’s all faggots who like trannies and use their parents credit card or finance their gun purchases only to never shoot them.
>>
>>62084753
>or finance their gun purchases only to never shoot them.
Most people on this board are 30 year old boomers. Guns aren't really so expensive. I mean what, a really good AR build all kitted out is like, $5000. That's not very much.
>>
>>62084753
I love going there and telling them an Anderson build is just as good, if not better then their KAC or LMTs, because you'll actually use the Anderson and not safe queen it.
>>
You can buy a blemished lower on PSA for $30 plus ffl transfer. It,s literally an aluminum block with some holes in it.
DON'T OVERPAY, AND IGNORE ANYONE TELLING YOU TO OVERPAY
>>
>>62084748
This is the kinda feedback im looking for ty, I was having trouble finding sights I liked, didn't even know you could get red dots for cheaper
>>
>>62084725
This.
>>
>>62084777
https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Shooting-Waterproof-Illuminated-Picatinny/dp/B01C95I8N4
Sig romeo 5 is $125 all day every day on amazon. I like the holosun 403r better personally, because I think the dial brightness is a lot easier to quickly adjust than buttons
https://lanbosarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=47568
$129 there.

https://rentry.org/sa6c4m#how-to-set-up-a-basic-ar-15-or-how-to-pimp-your-mp-sport
this is the /arg/ pastebin and probably the only useful piece of information there. A lot of it is for stuff more expensive than what you're looking for but this section I linked is about setting up an AR with basic utilitarian accessories. tl;dr you need a sling a light and a sight.
>sling
Kyle Rittenhouse would be dead without a sling no ifs ands or buts. You will be too.
>light
Can't shoot what you can't see.
>sight
Can't shoot what you can't aim at (effectively)
>>62084765
except that people who can only afford an anderson can't afford ammo more than half the time, don't pretend otherwise
>>
>>62084777
Bereli has the Sig Romeo 5 for $110 w/ free shipping. Great dot for the price, lots of reviews on it if you want to check it out, fits T1/T2 pattern so if you ever want to change out the mount to something more sturdy down the line. https://www.bereli.com/shooting/optics-sights/sights/sig-sauer-romeo5-sor52001-1x20mm-compact-2-moa-red-dot-sight-high-low-mount/
>>
>>62084725
>>62084786
Whats the reason for 16" in your opinion? I was pretty dead set on a short barrel, my home is small has many very tight corners, also I like the look way more. Earlier some guy said incase laws change.
>>
>>62084777
oh yeah and so you can do your own research
https://gun.deals/
this is basically a search engine for gun stuff. It scrapes a bunch of different sites that sell guns, optics, and accessories. If you can find a MPN or UPC code, you can usually really narrow down searches to exactly what you're looking for and find the best deal.
>>
>>62084814
just because it’s a cheap option that’s always on sale and 16” is the goldilocks of ars. it doesn’t do anything perfect but you can get it all done with a 16 as in its short enough to clear your house without hindrance and you don’t sacrifice performance much. from a 16 you can decide what you would like more whether you want compact or want something with better range and performance. it’s a gun that can be got for $400 or less too so it doesn’t really matter ultimately. lastly, i know it sounds boomerish but i recommend an fsp and training irons for a time to get a good grip on fundamentals while you get an idea of what optics you want to prioritize getting.

nothing wrong with a shorty tho so do whatever you want. the point is to get a shit gun to beat up on so you can figure out what you really want to spend money on in the future.
>>
>>62084814
Nta but 16” is the minimum non -nfa length. Ar pistol braces may be not legal in the future (highly unlikely) but a 16” barrel can always have a stock. I use my pistol braced gun more than any of the others, they may get grandfathered in in the event of legality changes but fuck it who cares
>>
>>62084814
Not him but
>Whats the reason for 16" in your opinion?
Up until a little bit ago the ATF tried to classify all AR pistols with braces as short barreled rifles, which means you need an NFA tax stamp to own it or it's a felony.

As of right now courts have ruled that the ATF cannot do this, and braces remain legal and braced pistol ARs are ok. Without a brace, a pistol AR is very close to useless. If the ATF appeals and successfully gets the supreme court to side with them, we're back to where we were and a braced AR pistol is a felony/short barrel rifle.

Personally with the way courts have been ruling it is very unlikely the ATF is going to get its way and the supreme court has been reigning in agencies passing off their rulings as laws.

Aside from legality, longer ARs are still not that long. A 16" barrel is plenty usable indoors with a little practice. It will be more effective with cheap ammo, whereas short barrels generally need higher quality ammo for good terminal effectiveness. Short barrels are also LOUD. Less relevant but obviously a 16" barrel will be more effective at longer range.
>>
>>62084689
>trying to buy a house
even if you can somehow manage it you'll be in debt for life
>>
>>62084808
Very good to know especially about the sling, wasn't even on my mind. I'm going to read this whole pastebin before I buy anything, great stuff. Knew I needed to come here before I purchased
>>
>>62084814
Short barrels are not good for inside use
Cause that shit will make you deaf even more than usual
Even the govt doorkickers who get short ars end up adding a supressor and making the overall size rougly the same as a 16.
The length of your standard 16 inch are was always fine in regards to mobility.
>>
>>62084761
>>62084765
/arg/ is a fucking cancer. idk how it became all furries talking about trans sex
>>
>>62084634
for most shooters all that matters for an ar or any non-cc firearm for that matter is if it looks cool. do the parts have the features you want? then as long as you aren't buying shit from wish.com they're probably fine. don't listen to retards like
>>62084651
because they're all larperators obsessed with brands like women
>>
>>62084349
this, but PSA lower, because Aero is reddit
>>62084408
you're probably thinking of the carbine gas length ones.
>>
>>62084814
dude you're over thinking it, having a 5" shorter gun isn't going to make any meaningful difference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7ruQHsh8Zc

and if you're that worried about maneuverability, just get a handgun.
and yes the laws make it much easier to just have a 16"
>>
File: 403.jpg (21 KB, 320x324)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>62084290
>first firearm
>AR pistol
>on /k/
>>
>>62086018
I don't glow weeb nigger, I just said its my first gun so people would be nicer to me, technically its the first im buying but i was raised shooting a 10/22 in my yard. We also had an M1 Carbine
>>
>>62085940
Yeah I switched over to a PSA Stealth lower thanks to comments here, now what's this carbine gas length mumbo jumbo?
>>
File: mp_sport.jpg (78 KB, 1280x725)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>62086909
the location of the gas block.
carbine length is what the M4 has, which is a 14.5" barrel, so having carbine length barrel with a 16" barrel does look goofy (pic related), but the mid length gas system is longer and so there's not as much barrel without hand guard sticking out past the gasblock / front sight post.

Usually a longer gas system means lighter recoil since the further away the gas block is, the lower the pressures are when the round passes the gas block.

Besides carbine and mid length, the other common length is rifle, but that's usually only on 18"+ barrels.
>>
File: 14_inch.jpg (699 KB, 1280x960)
699 KB
699 KB JPG
>>62086909
>>62087273(me)
Also worth mentioning, if you pin and weld a muzzle device to the barrel it counts towards the barrel length under the NFA. So a somewhat common thing to do is get a 14.5" barrel and have a slightly longer version of the A2 flash hider pin and welded which brings the legal barrel length to 16"+

Obviously the downside is you're stuck with the A2 flashhider (or whatever you chose). But if you never intend to suppress the rifle, it's not a bad route. However if you want a suppressed gun most people just build a gun configured from the ground up to be suppressed.

So if you want a shorter barrel for aesthetics or size, it can be done while still be NFA legal without pistol braces and such.

pic related, although the difference isn't as obvious in the picture as real life. it's one of those small changes that makes a big difference in aesthetics. (you're also not limited to M4 clones, I'm just using them as examples).
>>
>>62087699
I am looking at pinned and welded uppers now, interesting but I'm still fairly sure I'm gonna go with that 11.5" PSA upper, I don't think I care so much if I have to do a SBR conversion eventually or whatever. It just looks too aesthetically pleasing to me to and anything longer doesnt. Plus as far as I can tell any con i've seen or read so far isn't something I care about. Loud? cool. more kick? Fun. I'm not a sharp shooter or trying to run crazy minmax drills with the best set up. Just want to have fun with it and have it work on the off chance a darkie busts in to my residence
>>
>>62087699
so its still 16" long but now w less barrel. Sounds pointless to me
>>
>>62088795
because a 16" barrel with a muzzle device will be like 17.5" long, whereas the 14.5" with a muzzle device will be 16"
>>
>>62087699
>>62088178
pin and weld is a terrible idea and basically the atf tricking people into ruining their guns. if the flash hider is permanently attached that means everything behind it is permanently attached too. if you want to change the gas block, you're fucked. if you want to change the handguard, you're fucked.
>>
>>62084290
Nice big clip on that

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.