[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why were paper shotgun shells phased out?
>>
Lead is better.
>>
>>62087822
Cost and ease of manufacture(fancy way of saying cost a second time).
Along with the fact plastic is more durable.
>>
>>62087822
Durability. Paper is flat out worse than plastic. Water ruins them no matter how much wax is coating them.

>t. ancientfag that grew up duck hunting with paper shells
>>
>>62087822
They jam guns if you get them wet or store them somewhere too humid.
>>
>>62087822
because plastic is way better.
cheaper, faster to produce, reloadable.
>>
>>62087822
wa'a
Simple as
>>
>>62087822
Because paper is less durable, paper gets wet and the round gets ruined.
>>
File: 1696122211841632.gif (2.39 MB, 640x360)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB GIF
>>62087822
Boy, is you retarded?
>>
File: 20150328_002118.jpg (316 KB, 1024x768)
316 KB
316 KB JPG
Actual loader here,
paper has 2 distinct disadvantages as other mentioned, durability and water/moisture resistance.
Since shotshells are mainly used for hunting, and hunters see a LOT of humidity and rain, paper shells are at a clear disadvantage over the plastic shells.
Also, very old paper shells had quite a thicker cardboard, and in case of moisture that paper would swell and interfere with shell loading and extraction, also having worse internal volumetry and probably worse to plastic in production phase. Now is still possible to find paper hulls for loading, but it's more like for the the good 'ol times feeling i guess.
>>
>>62088321
The Germans would have really been big mad if they had plastic shells.
>>
>>62087927
Damn you're very ancient
>>
>>62089946
Any advantages to using paper shells such as reduced weight or recoil?
>>
I still wonder why no one is making aluminum shotshells right now.
>>
>>62089946
Aren't some oldass shotguns only rated for paper/loading of paper cartridges of that era?
I've never seen them but my uncle has two old Model 11s inherited from his dad/my pappy that allegedly aren't usable with modern ammunition
>>
>>62087822
water
>>
>>62087822
They swell when they get wet and fail to extract or tear due to it. Plastic ones are waterproof. I reload paper shells but I have to wax them in an oven
>>
>>62090098
>Any advantages to using paper shells such as reduced weight or recoil?
Well in my experience they survive BP better but that's about it.
>>
>>62090098
they are better for the environment the vast majority of people just throw the shells away when they are done shooting.
>>
>>62087927
>Water ruins them no matter how much wax is coating them.
You have to get paraffin wax liquid and head an over to about 100 degrees, leave the primer in and holding the brass dip them down into the wax, then leave them stand on some foil on the open end in the oven. Then decap them
>>
>>62090559
>they are better for the environment the vast majority of people just throw the shells away when they are done shooting.
There are plenty of biodegradable shotgun shells and wads, you are talking worthless shit.People like me reload for old guns, usually double hammer guns that were originally shot with BP paper cartridges.
>>
>>62090476
>I still wonder why no one is making aluminum shotshells right now.
you wouldn't wonder why if you actually thought about it at all.
>>
>>62090578
>leave the SPENT primer in
clarification because there is always that dumbass reading. Main reason for paper shotgun cartridges is shooting BP
>>
>>62087822
fragile, don't work when wet, cause jams and they aren't part of the projectile so there is no reason why you can't just catch/pick up the hull. it isn't like the wad or the shot which you can't easily recover. there is no reason to leave the hulls on the ground. even jewish bong government that banned plastic wads and lead shot didn't bother going after plastic hulls
>>
>>62090098
>>62090493
I do believe that is not strictly linked to the fact of the shell being made of paper or plastic, but due to the pressure developed by the round itself. Also, standards that have changed over the years. If memory serves, switching between black powder to smokeless made a really big change and then CIP/SAAMI standards stepped up, and modern munitions followed.
Since shotguns are really old guns, it is not uncommon to still have some of the older ones that aren't up to spec for modern pressures so it could be very dangerous.
But paper hull by itself isn't a guarantee of lower pressure, since there are some available hulls with high brass designed to be used with modern powders and heavy loads.
IMHO it's more of a nostalgic feeling than any other reason really.
>>
>>62088321
I have plastic 25mm flares that do the same thing
>>
>>62090762
BP and smokeless rounds are proofed to the same pressure. Specs didn't change but the shells commonly used did.
High brass is also meaningless. It was to prevent very heavy loads of BP from burning through the paper hull. Now it's simply marketing.
>>
>>62090596
Biodegradable plastic just seeps into the ground water and is one of the main causes of testicular shrinkage in men
>>
>>62090493
I assume either they're talking about shooting lead only OR the chambers aren't 2 3/4" and are instead the shorter chamber length I can't think of ATM.
>>
>>62087822
War. They broke and/or got soggy (yes, even when coated with wax).
>>
>>62090924
this, biodegradable plastic is a greenwashing meme

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.