[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is a Smith & Wesson Shield EZ 9mm a good self defense weapon for someone who doesn't have a lot of hand strength?
>>
>>62090910
yes. it's actually a good self defense weapon even for someone who does have a lot of hand strength.
>>
The 380 version is better. You can rack the slide with your fucking pinky toe
>>
Yes, good gun
>>
>>62090910
yes, but you should already have one in the chamber and not worry about racking the slide in a defense scenario. I have one and it's fine for a carry gun.
>>
>>62090950
If I'm able to rack the 9mm okay should I go with that one instead?
>>
>>62091030
Yeah I'd go with the 9mm unless you know you're especially sensitive to blast and recoil. Have you shot a handgun before? Also will you carry this thing on you or is it mostly just for the house?
>>
>>62091077
I've never shot a handgun, no. Just .22 rifles when I was a kid. It'd be in my purse sometimes, but mostly for my house.
>>
My wife has the .380 with the gold barrel, it's a slick gun and you can get them cheap nowadays.

The negligible recoil and weightless slide help her confidence a lot vs a run-of-the-mill 9mm.
>>
>>62091116
Do you think she'd have been able to use the 9mm version or would that be too much?
>>
>>62091106
I'd say 9mm because the ammo is cheap and more widely available. Before buying, try taking a class where you shoot at the end to see if you are ok with 9mm or if you want to go down to a 380.
>>
>>62091124
Good idea, thank you!
>>
>>62090910
I suggest Security 380, just as easy to rack, but has twice the capacity, and very very VERY soft recoil

Otherwise, check out the S&W Equalizer, it's basically a double stack 9mm EZ
>>
>>62091120
My wife opted for the 9mm version after shooting one in a local range. It's really an EZ pistol in all aspects - easy to load the magazines, easy to rack the slide, easy to shoot accurately, easy to handle the recoil. Smith really knocked this one out of the park.
>>
>>62091187
>>62091153
Thank you both for the advice :)
>>
>>62091153
>twice the capacity
The slim single stack grip of the EZ line contributes significantly to the really nice shooting qualities for women and elderly. Hard pass.
>>
>>62091124
>>62091153

If you're a female with weak hands that's also uncomfortable with recoil management I'd lean towards the 380.

In any other situation the Equalizer is the obvious choice if you're looking for a light slide pull. Remember the .380 / 9mm EZ only has an 8-round single stack mag, that's pretty horrible by today's standards.

Also whatever you get, I highly recommend you DO NOT get a manual safety, its redundant and can get you killed worst case scenario.
>>
>>62090910
How big is the clip on that?
>>
>>62091249
>>
>>62091221
>In any other situation the Equalizer is the obvious choice if you're looking for a light slide pull. Remember the .380 / 9mm EZ only has an 8-round single stack mag, that's pretty horrible by today's standards.
Ok but a brand new shooter probably isn't interested in min-maxing size to capacity like a gun autist and the smaller size of the Equalizer is not going to help them want to practice or shoot accurately. She said it's a home defense gun with occasional purse carry. Why bother with a gun with a two-finger grip at that point?
>Also whatever you get, I highly recommend you DO NOT get a manual safety, its redundant and can get you killed worst case scenario.
I think manual safeties are fine so long as they are large and easy to disengage like the EZ and Equalizer's manual safeties. They're also not a bad idea for off-body carry like in a purse.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.