[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cross.png (868 KB, 1085x854)
868 KB
868 KB PNG
I saw picrel in:
https://www.thoughtco.com/the-invention-of-the-crossbow-195263

Any idea why the bow itself is so bulky? Is it a selfbow? It looks too thick.
>>
Could be composite too or a steel prod. Anyways the reason why it is thick is to compensate with draw weight for its inefficiency due to small size and short stroke and in the case of steel for being a shit material
>>
>>62132694
A composite bow of horn and sinew.
>>62132811
>Anyways the reason why it is thick is to compensate with draw weight for its inefficiency due to small size and short stroke
This. Less draw length means a higher draw weight is necessary.
>>
>>62132694
Is it just me, or do others agree there is no way that cranequin was original to that specific crossbow?

>>62133040
>A composite bow of horn and sinew.
This, you can clearly see the layers. Historical bows were often even thicker: it was quite common for composite bows to have the prod covered with waxed or painted fabric, that was partially decoration but also a means to protect the composite prod from moisture which would soften the sinews and the glue used to hold it together.
>>
>>62133076
>Is it just me, or do others agree there is no way that cranequin was original to that specific crossbow?
I think the two metal protrusions in the stock speak for a spanning lever.
>>
>>62133152
Spanning levers are for baby crossbows
>>
>>62133076
>>>62132694 (OP)
>Is it just me, or do others agree there is no way that cranequin was original to that specific crossbow?
those two items can't look any more distant from one another, even if you photoshoped different planet landscapes behind them.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.