[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

The reason why most staircases in medieval castles were built to be extremely narrow and spiraling in a clockwise direction is:

Since medieval castles were built mainly as fortifications, staircases were designed to make it extremely difficult for enemy combatants to fight their way up.

Since most soldiers were right-handed, they would need to round each curve of the inner wall before attempting to strike, inevitably exposing themselves in the process. The clockwise spiral staircase also allowed the defenders to use the inner wall as a partial shield and easily allow them to swing their weapon without being hindered by the curvature of the outer wall.

The stairs were also intentionally poorly lit and built to be uneven, making it even more difficult for the attackers to gain any sort of balance or momentum during their fight up to capture the castle.
>>
Based fortifiers
>>
>>62147358
you can also roll bowling balls and caltrops down them if there's people coming up
>>
Remember to make stairs uneven
>>
>>62147358
But what if you were a left handed?
>>
>>62148270
that would be sinister
>>
>>62148270
Then you were the spawn of satan and should be drowned
>>
>>62147358
The lower guy in that image has the advantage
>>
>>62148330
>swing my sword
>it dinks off the inner wall of the staircase
>this angry chainmail-laiden retard splits my face in half with his axe
>my blood runs down the stairs and causes my comrades to slip& fall
>they throw our bodies in the moat
>>
>>62147358
Stairs are staircases you ESL retard.
>>
>>62148270
You enjoy the usual left-handed combat advantage from fighting opponents inexperienced against lefties

But you still lose, because fighting up stairs sucks
>>
>>62147358
Sorry, that's a myth. If it were true, you'd never see wide staircases (you do) or anticlockwise staircases (common). The source of the myth is apparently pic related, who didn't actually know a fucking thing about medieval castles.

https://triskeleheritage.triskelepublishing.com/mediaeval-mythbusting-blog-2-the-man-who-invented-the-spiral-staircase-myth/
>>
>>62148340
Fuck you buddy I’m turning my car into a motorcar
>>
>>62147358
neat thanks anon, also how do you get furniture and big stuff up their? You got a winch and a balcony?
>>
>>62148285
underrated
>>
>>62148285
Absolutement manifique, mon ami
>>
ok enjoy moving literally any piece of furniture in your narrow, spiral staircase.
>>
>>62148270
You took point
>>
>>62148695
haha theodore cock
>>
>>62148270
You pitch the attackers to hire you and you fight upstairs now.
>>
>>62148337
Literal retard. Guy on top can only swing straight down making blocking easy with the shield above the head. Guy on top can't reach low enough to protect his legs with his shield. Guy on bottom can stab upwards, he doesn't have to swing and "dink off the staircase".
>>
>>62150441
Look at howthe bottom is holding that sword. He's swinging it. That axe chad on top has the high ground and a power advantage. He's gonna break that little twink's shield and wrist with that blow, and send him tumbling down the spiral stairs
>>
>>62150441
>gets kicked
>>
File: 1470850171386.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>62148285
>>
>>62148270
passer l'arme à gauche
>>
For me, it's having a 2000 ton cast iron sphere precariously held in place at the top of the stairs which is triggered by a pressure plate. There is also a giant anvil conveniently labeled "2 tons" held above the door at the top of said stairs that will fall on any intruder who makes it past the boulder, reducing them to fleeing the house while flattened and flopping around making accordion noises.
I don't use those stairs.
>>
>>62148285
smarty

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.