[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: EMBRAER.jpg (97 KB, 900x465)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
What went so right?
How did Brazil managed to be successful with them after the Engesa bankruptcy and the Brazilian defense industry getting really close to a collapse in the 90s?
>>
I guess they have a really good engineer training system?, a lot of their engineers got poached but they're still successful (and apparently they even want to make a stealth fighter)
>>
File: 1721635414497712.png (1.74 MB, 1671x2520)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB PNG
>>62148205
The e195-e2 is great not sure how macacos achieved this
>>
File: Gripen_RJ.jpg (236 KB, 2000x1125)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>62148248
>(and apparently they even want to make a stealth fighter)

If they managed to do this despite the Brazilian politics, then I will be really impressed.
I don't doubt their capacities, especially after the knowledge exchange they had with Saab in the Gripen program.
But the biggest enemy of the Brazilian Defense Industry, it's their own government.
>>
>>62148205
it's a product that fits the requirements for small/medium size countries very well.
>>
>>62148304
both boeing and airbus offer smaller cargo planes. boeing has the super hercules and airbus the c-295. and the cheapest solution for thirdies and small euro nations would probably be to just use cargo versions of civilian aircraft. you can land 737s and a310s on almost anything if you want.
>>
>>62148205
Europe stopped making regional passenger aircraft. I'm not sure why, perhaps demographic or company life cycle reasons. Profitability?
>>
>>62148436
Embraer cornered the market

>>62148205
State backing
Also Bombardier fucked up so they had no real competition
>>
Embraer is based asf
>>
File: L3_ARES.jpg (77 KB, 1201x667)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>62148452
>Bombardier fucked up
They are doing just fine, spinning off their Global Express business jets as military variants.
>https://bizjetsofwar.substack.com/p/bizjets-of-war

C-390 is still new, there are like 10 total in service (6 with Brazil and 2 each to the euro's that ordered them iirc) so the verdict is out on long term effectiveness, but it does fill a nice niche. Like a mini C-17 but with the all-around capabilities and ruggedness of the C-130. Makes since for a lot of smaller countries that only have small, single-model cargo fleets.
>>
>>62148293
Fr
>>
>>62148950
that's the only thing Bombardier now has
amongst other things they fucked up the small passenger jet segment which is a huge part of Embraer's success
their various business failures in the 90s and 00s gave Embraer a clear run and a three decade lead
>>
>>62151694

Full autism long answer to that: Bombardier sold its commercial airliner division to Mitsubishi, who promptly discontinued all its existing jets in order to go full retard with its next-gen SpaceJet project, which failed so hard that Mitsubishi quit the airliner industry entirely. This was made worse by most current Bombardier operators pre-ordering SpaceJets en masse to replace their aging Bombardiers, then getting left out to dry when big guy Mitsubishi crashed with no survivors (since they shut down the factories and laid/pensioned off all the workers except for the bare minimum for spare parts manufacture/refurbishment). Said airlines basically had two choices left: Airbus and Embraer, the last two reputable Western aircraft manufacturers still making airliners with the same passenger/range/size footprint as the old Bombardiers.
>>
>>62148436
>Europe stopped making regional passenger aircraft.
As a europoor who flies domestic a lot its all A320neo all the time
>>
>>62148205
I"m not sure from a business standpoint, but the last time I flew I made sure it was Embraer and an Airbus. If it's Boeing, I ain't going.
>>
>>62152448

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_airliner

Although its true Airbus has been oversize replacement as well.
>>
>>62148452
That's not an answer, any living aircraft manufacturer in 2024 is state-backed
>>
>>62153335
All MIC is state backed.
All over the world.
>>
>>62152824
Same. I flew American Airlines recently and it was on an Embraer made in Brazil and an Airbus made in Germany.
>>
File: Bombardier-Queretaro.jpg (303 KB, 970x660)
303 KB
303 KB JPG
>>62152045
>Full autism long answer to that: Bombardier sold its commercial airliner division to Mitsubishi, who promptly discontinued all its existing jets in order to go full retard with its next-gen SpaceJet project, which failed so hard that Mitsubishi quit the airliner industry entirely. This was made worse by most current Bombardier operators pre-ordering SpaceJets en masse to replace their aging Bombardiers, then getting left out to dry when big guy Mitsubishi crashed with no survivors (since they shut down the factories and laid/pensioned off all the workers except for the bare minimum for spare parts manufacture/refurbishment). Said airlines basically had two choices left: Airbus and Embraer, the last two reputable Western aircraft manufacturers still making airliners with the same passenger/range/size footprint as the old Bombardiers.

Are you telling me that Bombardier is literally not making any commercial airliners going forward? I remember reading about how they were setting up to fully build jets down in Mexico then covid paused that and I haven't really heard any progress on that. I know they still build the airframes down there.
>>
>>62152045
>Bombardier sold its commercial airliner division
this is 3 decades after Bombardier already fucked up

>>62152448
>A320neo
we're not talking A320 size here
Embraer's best selling (by volume) jet series is the Phenom, which carries around 10 passengers

>>62153335
not to the extent the Brazilian Government backed Embraer
who is the US Govt buying its aircraft from? Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Lockmart, Gulfstream, Textron
who is the Brazilian Govt buying its aircraft from?
Embraer
>>
File: Embraer C 95.jpg (38 KB, 640x480)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
My favorite Embraer plane is the C-95.
It's a 70s design and it looks like some IJA plane from WW2.
>>
>>62154805
I also like the R-99.
>>
File: Embraer EMB 111.jpg (20 KB, 678x452)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Embraer also made one of the goofiest looking planes I've ever saw.
It's for Navy patrolling.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.