[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1200px-RAF_Harrier_GR9.jpg (125 KB, 1200x798)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Say something nice, mean, or neutral about the Harrier jump jet.
>>
>>62506950
I'd fuck it
>>
It was cool in True Lies
>>
Sexy. It does a great job would wanted a higher top speed
>>
This is the closest real world equivalent to a mecha.
>>
>>62506950
Second most rapable jet after the Forger, the old slag can absolutely get it
>>
>>62506950
Ugly.
>>
>>62506950
I would rail the shit out of hot milf edition Jamie Lee Curtis in that movie with a fist fight on top of a hovering harrier.
>>
File: 66312_1607644344.jpg (424 KB, 1400x954)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
>>62506950
i like the weird look of the trainer version
>>
>>62507261
>I've been doing a lot of thinking lately
>>
>>62506950
extremely fuckable
>>
>>62506950
I like saying "jump jet".
>>
>>62506950
pretty cool jet
>>
It showed the STOVL concept is viable for real world combat which has opened up naval aviation capacity for countries that can't or won't make a full carrier, which is why the F-35B is such a big deal for improving the capabilities of NATO and MNNAs
>>
>>62506950
The Harrier is remarkable for being not only the only non-garbage, non-suicidal VTOL jet, but actually being decent and having a modicum of success. It also had a good radar, weapons, T:W and other flight characteristics for its time.
It's also a good looker, both the British and American Harriers though I do slightly prefer the AV-8B.
>>
>>62506950
I can't think of anything mean to say
>>
>>62507397
>modicum of success
It far excedeed expectations in the Falklands War. It went against supersonic fighters and won. Half of the airframes were RAF planes too, not Fleet Air Arm.
>>
>>62506950
I fucking loved using them in Red Alert 2
>>
>>62507261
this shoulda been standard version for some reason

something about the pilot needing to "just fly, and balance", so front seat can run weapons.

like an attack chopper, but a jet.

shoulda gone with Harrier-On-'Roids instead of fucking up entire F-35 program

like they did with SuperBug

bake-in a RATO option so it can launch with real payload from an airdrop supplied forward launch site.
>>
>>62506950
Easily my favorite plane, a jet that hovers was so fucking cool to my 7 year old brain, I built like 20 models of them
>>
>>62507531
When I first saw a Harrier in a videogame (some 007 game on OG Xbox) I thought it was a fictional superweapon or something, because a hovering fighter would be too cool to exist.
>>
>>62507503
>instead of fucking up entire F-35 program
RETARD ALERT
>>
>>62507434
Most pilots survived their shootdowns too. The same can't be said for most the Argentinian pilots.
>>
>>62507503
>fucking up entire F-35 program
A STOVL version was planned from the very beginning of the JSF. The USMC and Royal Navy wanted a Harrier replacement and it was one of the main motivations for the whole project. Same with Italy. Now the F-35B is here, Japan has two aircraft carriers (USMC is currently operating their planes from them until the JASDF planes are delivered, which goes to show how deeply Japan and the US are integrating their defense plans) and Korea may do as well soon. Other countries can also join suit, as it's lowering the barrier of entry for naval aviation.
It's not a fuck up, it's pivotal to the strategy of making sure the Chinese stay where they belong
>>
>>62506950
>doesn't jump
>doesn't harry
>>
Despite its use in combat, Harrier killed more of its own pilots than it did enemy ones. It was the last British aircraft that mattered. Of Harrier's era, A-10 is still useful but Harrier is not.
>>
>>62507957
>harry (third-person singular simple present harries, present participle harrying, simple past and past participle harried) (transitive)
>1. To plunder, pillage, assault.
>2. To make repeated attacks on an enemy.
>3. To strip, lay waste, ravage. quotations
>4. To harass, bother or distress with demands, threats, or criticism.
I'd say it has a very good track record of harrying Hajis and Argentinians.
>>
>>62507986
Literally anything else harries better. It's just that it was the best carrier thing until F-14/18.
>>
File: forest harrier.jpg (539 KB, 1080x1080)
539 KB
539 KB JPG
Yeah but I can land a Harrier in a forest when all the runways get nuked, and thats cool
>>
I feel like Harrier has main character energy, but really only got to be the main character once in media.
>>
>>62508243
More than most planes get
>>
>>62508250
All of those interceptors with nothing to intercept...
>>
Wonder how long it will stay in service. Would US or Spain be willing to share / swap parts to keep em around longer or is it just time to switch.

That or sell em all to Veitnam

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.