[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6596.jpg (1.86 MB, 3024x4032)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
About a month ago, I purchased a Yugoslavian M1924 Mauser in good condition. This morning, I took it to the range and sent about 40 round through it. Gun works perfectly and is an overall shooter, so concerns on that front.

When I got home, however, I noticed that a good-sized crack in the stock, specifically where some repairs had been done prior (presumably by an arsenal, based on the way it was done). It appears the wood there separated from the rest of the gun (pic related, pre-range pic will be down below).

How much should this concern me and what I should do to get it repaired? I want to be as non-intrusive as possible with this.
>>
File: IMG_6464.jpg (2.11 MB, 3024x4032)
2.11 MB
2.11 MB JPG
Pic related, this was the stock repair pre-range
>>
>>62511297
Replace old wood filler with new wood filler.
Simple as.
>>
File: 027426216006[1].jpg (60 KB, 900x900)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>62511297
>>62511305
Someone used wood filler to repair the crack and the wood filler isn't as strong as actual proper wood and it's just by itself, so firing it dislodged it. The damage is extremely superficial and does not impact the firearm at all so what you do is up to you. Adding new wood filler may just as easily come off as the last one.

t. someone who repairs furniture with wood filler.
>>
That's just the handguard on top, it's not structural so there's no safety concerns. It's been repaired improperly in the past, with some non-matching piece of wood having been spliced in there.
It shouldn't worry you.

>what should I do to get it repaired.
Remove the old wood filler or whatever that is from inside the crack. Clean up the edges of the crack so there is clean wood there for the repair piece to bond to. Cut a piece of scrap wood to fill the crack, paying attention to match the grain direction. The thickness should fit the crack exactly but it should be oversize in the other dimensions. Glue the scrap in the crack using pva glue or epoxy and clamp in place. Once the glue is set, carve off the oversize parts of the filler piece so it's flush with the rest of the wood. Match the color with a little bit of wood stain. Apply linseed oil as a finish.
>>
>>62511305
So you've lost the filler from that part of the repair.

If that is happening the whole repair maybe have to be looked at and redone. No good if it shoots fine but it's tearing itself apart
>>
>>62511330
>wood filler
No! Bad Bubba!
>>
>>62511330
>>62511345
Thank you, guys! You've got no idea how much of a relief it is to hear that. I've got a close friend who works with that stuff a lot, so I'll take it to him.

Godspeed!
>>
>>62511362
Just you wait, afterwards we're gonna JB weld the sling mount on for a QD socket.
>>
>>62511381
Yeah, it's very easy to think that this is some pristine artifact from the past, but it's a tool, it has its history, and people have made half-hearted repairs in the past. It's just crappy wood filler, and it may have gotten weak over time as well. You could replace it with cheap hardware store wood filler, and paint or stain it so it blends in and see if it holds.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.