[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I got a legit ass question /k/ what does one do about glasses with a face covering? just dip the mask below the nose or what? i'd like to wear balaclavas but dont want my shit to fog up.

I'm sure there's some guerilla out there who has had this same issue. I'm fine with wearing glasses, been backpacking and in the outdoors my whole life, but i hate contact lenses and i don't want to pay a gorillion dollars to get eye surgery.

what do?
>>
>>62511321
if you can hike and shoot with your glasses they're fine. otherwise lightly bunch up the covering around the nose to drive the breaths downwards. or get a winter mask style with the valves or rubberized stuff around the mouth. haven't had a problem skiing with those and glasses
>>
>>62511321
get a pair of those ultra durable sports glasses
>>
>>62511321
Buy the correct balaclava with breathable mesh around the mouth and nose.
>>
>>62511321
how hard is it to get a lasik now? cheaper than getting new glasses every couple of years.
the four eyed don't belong on battlefield, imagine storming a hill when your cover says he can't see shit because his glasses got dirty or broken.
>>
>>62511321
I use goggles with inserts. Pop the vents and you're good to go
>>
>>62511321
Use contacts
>t. Contactless glasscel
>>
>>62512041
Lasik is no longer recommended unless you're relatively older.
Hell my optometrist said straight up not to bother until I'm in my 50s.
>>
File: images-24.jpg (8 KB, 287x176)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>62511321
Cat crap
>>62512041
https://youtu.be/l8yT21eI2io
>>
>>62512066
you can get smile, prk, whatever.
it's all cheap and available.
essentially blind folks with like -7 myopia have no business going field.
>>
>>62511321
>I got a legit ass question /k/ what does one do about glasses with a face covering? just dip the mask below the nose or what? i'd like to wear balaclavas but dont want my shit to fog up.
>I'm sure there's some guerilla out there who has had this same issue. I'm fine with wearing glasses, been backpacking and in the outdoors my whole life
I'm an anon with shit eyes OP. There are really good anti-fog compounds like cat crap you can use, a place to look for all that sort of thing is in the skiing equipment field. Pretty much all down hill skiiers are wearing goggles and getting hot while it's quite cold out while going high speeds, fogging is a serious issue and solutions exist.

Also, make sure to get your exact prescription, separately from any glasses you get. Then you can use that to get custom goggles, ballistic glasses, inserts etc cheap. That'll give you a lot more options in terms of what you wear normally vs when you want something durable/semidisposable. Once you have your own prescription you can go to a million online places.
>but i hate contact lenses and i don't want to pay a gorillion dollars to get eye surgery.
Not a fan of contacts myself and they have their own risks and down sides. Eye surgery I'd actually consider in principle as far as cost go, but I've seen too many horror stories, too little standardization, field is moving super fast, and if something goes wrong, or if your eyes just change more afterwards, you can be in a far worse position then nothing. I think the tech to fix our garbage eyes will come along eventually and until then I just have my prescription and swap around.
>>
File: cc.jpg (83 KB, 700x700)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>62512071
>Cat crap
>>62512122
>cat crap
based cat crap mind/knowers
>>62512093
>essentially blind folks with like -7 myopia have no business going field.
SHALL NOT
>>
>>62511321
contacts are probably best, be cautious of anti fog wipes/sprays for glasses, most will dissolve the anti glare coating that most lenses come with
>>
>>62512163
You really shouldn't use your nice regular glasses in that role imo. Optometrists hate to admit it because they make so much money convincing people you have to go through them and then baby them, but glasses should be extremely cheap and are at the low end with whatever options you want.
>>
>>62511321
>>62512122
Agreed with everything anon said right here, OP. Eye pro is extremely advantageous to have regardless of whether your vision is impaired or not, so you may as well get something rugged and have some custom lenses made to suit you. To quote my eye doctor:
>If you have a problem that can be fixed without medication or surgery, how bad of a problem do you really have?

Stay away from eye surgery, because it's not worth spending thousands for results that will potentially leave you still having to wear glasses in certain situations anyway.
>>
File: vixion.jpg (120 KB, 1400x932)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>62512290
Yeah and tech really is moving along. Kind of wild coincidence seeing this thread, literally just two hours ago I saw this robocop looking thing shown at CES:
>https://www.engadget.com/vixion01-glasses-reduce-eyestrain-by-doing-the-focusing-for-you-205106281.html
Rather than focals/bifocals it looks like it uses some built in range finder thing to just give you exactly the right correction at any range, whether looking at a screen or distance, like the machine at the doctor's office. It's a version 1.0, Japan only, only 10 hours of battery life, etc, but already pretty tiny not some ginormous headset and I'd never even have considered something like that as possible. Who knows what the next 10 years will bring.
>>
File: 12oz_1080x.jpg (70 KB, 1080x1080)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>62511321
Word to the wise, get a glasses strap. Just go literally anyway physically or online and spend the couple bucks on a pack of them so you have some for every pair.
>>
Where are you buying glasses from, Lenscrafters? Go online to glasses makers that tailor towards industrial workers, a lot of them will have options that are impact and/or ballistic rating and will have options for glare and fog coatings. Not all of them will be paired with "fashion" frames, but you aren't a fag, right?
>>
>>62512041
Turns out lasik was extremely fucking risky procedure with a ton of potential life long side effects and the only reason it was ever recommended is because the lasik industry made absolute bank on it, who could have guessed cutting open your eye might not be a great idea
>>
File: glasses.jpg (97 KB, 1920x910)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>62512709
Yep, or for that matter there are flat out prescription shooting glasses that are intended for this, impact rated, anti-fog/glare, various levels of sun protection however you want, and reasonable prices (of course being the gun industry there are also outrageous priced ones if you want to spend $5k on glasses you can lol) that still look ok.
>>
>>62512231
This, every glasses wearing chud should have a better pair, ironically my beat pair is literally the chud frame.
>>
File: yeah.png (723 KB, 1080x1018)
723 KB
723 KB PNG
>>62512743
For some people it really was a miracle and fixed them for life, and let them pursue dream careers they couldn't have otherwise. So the industry had some genuine happy stories to use for marketing. But as you say profit motive then took "this is a great procedure for 5% of the population" and turned it into a gold rush slap dashed onto everyone.

Arguably bigger problem was the complete lack of any sort of standards and enormous variability between doctors doing it and their equipment. One guy might do amazing work and be very cautious about recommending it only to those he was real sure of.

Others were pic related.
>>
>>62512823
Pretty much, my optometrist, bless her soul, straight up told me my vision wasn't anywhere near bad enough and I shouldn't even consider it, realized I dodged a bullet the more I learned about it.
>>
>>62511321
Give em a little hawk tuah
Spittin on them thangs is an old skier/diver trick to prevent goggle lenses from fogging up
>>
>>62512709
I recently got some ANSI glasses from the VA and it looks like something Elton John would wear.
>>
>>62512041
people have been fighting wars with glasses for like hundreds of years at this point. just because you're too much of a coward to enlist doesn't mean there aren't tons of people with combat jobs in the army with glasses.
in modern armies you're supposed to be wearing eye protection in combat anyway.
>>
>>62512041
>the four eyed don't belong on battlefield, imagine storming a hill when your cover says he can't see shit because his glasses got dirty or broken.
>modern army storming a hill
>no eyepro
>not just wiping eyepro off
do you like, go outside anon? ever?
>>
Redpill me on PRK versus LASIK
>>
>Birth Control glasses

lol
>>
>>62511321
You need to become a goggles paesano
>>
File: cheap ass.jpg (3.64 MB, 3024x4032)
3.64 MB
3.64 MB JPG
>>62512290
>>62515111
gas mask inserts electrical taped to eyepro :)
>>
>>62512762
I bought a pair of ansi rated shooting glasses that are designed to be wide enough to go over a normal pair of glasses. Work great and I hardly notice them. Got em for like 8 bucks at a local gun store, and it gives me a lot of peace of mind.
Too many idiots think that normal glasses = safety glasses, but don’t realize they’ll spray glass in your eyes the first time they get hit by a rock or something.
>>
>>62511321
>anthony fantano here, the battlefield's busiest music nerd
>>
>>62512041
Lasik is fine, but it only works for about 3 years until you need it again. It isn't a permanent cure.
>>
>>62511321
Why is hearing a hat clearly too small for his head?
>>62524395
>For this battle, I'm feeling a Light 6. Tran-
>>
>>62512501
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv8cByaVyNQ
paul said so much could have been avoided if the guy who dropped his glasses had a little piece of string to keep them around his neck and that's what i've been on for years now and its the shit (you look like an old man unfortunately)
>>
>>62512041
Total fucking meme because your eyes shift over time. Im waiting for the FLIR and 16k visual feed augments from a camera implant in my head.
>>
>>62512163
Contacts aren't a great idea in the field. They can trap dust etc. and cause eye damage and they also need to be taken out and cleaned regularly, which is a problem in field conditions. They also can cause problems in very high or low temperatures, which is why you'll see a lot of guys who regularly wear contacts switch to glasses for skiing/snowboarding and so on.

Personally I'm screwed for them anyway, a metal shaving scratched the fuck out of my cornea or whatever years ago and contacts are instant agony, plus I have a pretty bad astigmatism (my regular prescription strength isn't even that bad) that requires stupid custom contacts.
>>
>>62526686
Old men tend to be fairly wise. They are completely right about cardigans, hard candies, and blacks.
>>
>>62526871
https://youtu.be/bSHmc7AfMUM
>>
>>62511321
don't be a 4 eyes loser nerd

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.