[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_9981-Web.jpg (365 KB, 1024x768)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
Shotgun virgin here.

Want to dip into shotguns and I'm thinking about an auto like a Mossberg 940 or Beretta 1301. They're more expensive than a pump, but other than cost is there any reason to get a pump instead of an auto?
>>
>>62515473
Pumps are way cooler and reliable
>>
Are you hunting, shooting clays, doing 3-gun, larping, or some combination of the above?
>>
>>62515495
larping and shooting clays

also, i'll switch to a shottie as my primary home defense due to less penetration and less than lethal round options
>>
>>62515503
I cordially invite you to not be retarded.
>>
>>62515527
you speak in vaguery just like a woman
>>
>>62515503
>larping and shooting clays
Then yeah it doesn't really matter, get whatever you think looks coolest
>>
>>62515532
you talk retardedly, like a retard.
>>
I believe your first shotgun should always be a pump just for the simplicity. You could buy a semi and you'd be fine, but my observation has always been that pumps really develop the shooters skills better.

The best advice I can give you is this.
Go out and buy an old (1970s or 1980s) Remington 870. Initially it will not be as pretty as a new gun, but these old Remingtons were MUCH better quality than the new ones, and they're generally well broken in, resulting in a buttery smooth action. There is a reason premium shotgun tuners (Scattergun Tech, Vang Comp Systems, ETC) all have programs to refurbish old 870s.
Also, they're dirt cheap.

From there, replace things as YOU feel necessary such as lit foregrips, shell tube springs, followers, augmented safeties etc.
Then, once you have it setup the way you like it, you can have it refinished or cerakoted. For $1500, you can either have a stock 1301, or a personally optimized 870.

A couple of general points:
Only ever use 'card' style side saddle shell carriers (most people like Esstac).
Always look for a 3" chamber so you can run a wider variety of rounds
Vang Comp porting is excellent.
Use the shortest LOP you can comfortably shoot.
Always use a light.

Pic related is my M4.
>>
File: 20240227_110306.jpg (666 KB, 2991x908)
666 KB
666 KB JPG
>>62515599
Well fuck.
>>
File: Benelli-m3-tactical-12.png (357 KB, 2000x600)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
>>62515503
>less than lethal round options
You're doing to need a pump for that use case. Maybe get something like a Mossberg 590A1.

Also, pumps are just more satisfying to shoot and are just plain cool.
But if you're shooting buckshot & slugs, semis are a bit faster.
If you intend to go for less lethal shit, there's no point getting a semi, you'll only have problems when you need the gun the most...

You could get a gun that does both, like the Benelli M3 Tactical, but you're better off just buying separate semi & pump guns. And I'm saying this as an M3 owner.
>>
>>62515503
Shotgun doesnt penetrate less than rifle rounds actually 5.56 is light so it actually gets stopped better than 00 buck
And using no 4 buck is kinda cucking out. Just use a rifle. Less than lethal is a BAD idea.
>>
>>62515605
>...

gen x dots are verboten
>>
File: vet1555084789048.png (844 KB, 580x960)
844 KB
844 KB PNG
>>62515633
What if I am from the tail end of Gen X?
>>
>>62515503
Oh it's a bait thread. Nice
>>
>>62515620
my current home defense weapon springfield m1a
>>
>>62515473
Pumps are reliable regardless of ammunition. Autos aren't.
>>
File: Snapchat-567178371.jpg (973 KB, 1080x2138)
973 KB
973 KB JPG
I think you should get a pump action first. I like the Mossberg pumps, you really can't go wrong with one of those. If you want to jump to a semi auto that's fine too, just know that most of them struggle with anything lighter than bird shots and sometimes certain loads of birdshot. I like my a300 ultima patrol. It needed 200 rounds or so to break in but has been damn near perfect since then.
>>
>>62515784
nigga why the fuck are you using 7.62 NATO for home defense?
>>
>>62515997
not everyone has neighbors and over penetration is a greatly overstated problem.
>>
>>62516009
>nigga why the fuck are you using 7.62 NATO for home defense?
cuz it's what he has.
>>
File: IMG_3010.jpg (937 KB, 2500x1667)
937 KB
937 KB JPG
>>62515473
get the a300 ultima patrol, its the best value going right now and can be had for $850 if you look around for deals. the spergs will tell you it has a slower bolt than the 1301 but none of them are even capable of outrunning the bolt so dont worry about it
>>
>>62515486
You can get good at running a pump with training, but I think for most people, shooter induced malfunctions (usually short stroking) are more common than malfunctions on a good autoloader, especially true in a high stress situation.
>>
>>62516009
>7.62 NATO for home defense
Lol my dad uses 7.62x54R for home defense, it's M44 Mosin Nagant made in 1945.
>>
>>62515473
If you're looking for a modern'ish auto shotgun I would set the bar at the A300 Ultima Patrol and move up from there as budget permits. Mossberg's 930 and 940 series guns aren't stellar options. Mossberg's 500 and 590 series pumps are fucking fantastic buys though and are thoroughly better buys than modern remington 870s. Figure out what you're willing to spend and how able/willing you are to undertake preventative and routine maintenance.

Auto shotguns can be great, but require more care and present some limits for the types of shells you want to use.

Pumps can be great, require less routine maintenance and will fire just about any shell you could ever imagine feeding it.

In 2024 a 590 would be my first stop for a pump action and the 1301 mod 2 and M4 would be my first stops for an auto. Budget minded autos would be the M2 and A300UP and nothing less. Do not be tempted by third world clones, no matter the onslaught of youtuber retardation and anons who chew through maybe 100 shells and claim they are great. They are not great.
>>
>>62516054
This is my opinion as well. I constantly see people parrot some bullshit about semis being unreliable but I have no idea where that comes from. I've owned many different semis over the years and they have all had no problems even with cheapass, weak, target loads. Now maybe the really cheap semis (I.e. turkshit) are a problem but that's its own problem.

>>62517100
590s and M4s are good guns, but they're also very limited in what they can do. They're dedicated combat shotguns. If you want to larp, great. But if you want to hunt or shoot clays then they suck due to their limited barrel availability, meanwhile with a normal mossberg 500 or an Inertia system Benelli you have access to rifled barrels for slugs, long barrels for clays or hunting, etc.

And don't forget that if your application doesn't involve combat larping or HD then a double mogs everything else.
>>
>>62515473
>other than cost is there any reason to get a pump instead of an auto?
Semi-auto shotguns are ammo finnicky. People who love pumps enjoy being able to use the weakest to strongest loads with the same gun.

>>62515503
>less than lethal round options
Use a pump then.
>>
>>62517372
>Semi-auto shotguns are ammo finnicky
i hear this, but never any any examples.
can someone name an example of what gun won't reliably shoot what shell?
>>
>>62517389
Well for example, my cop friend would tell me of his 2 M4 Benellis. One of them would only take 00-buck and would struggle with beanbags and breaching rounds (I totally understand if you don't believe me, its pretty anecdotal, but I've met guys whos guns struggled).
>>
>>62517412
So you don't have any firsthand personal experience, you're just repeating what you heard?
>>
>>62516009
Not that anon but i live in a ban state and all i have is a M1 Garand in .308. Im fixing that now with a SKS waiting to have the BGC clear. Anon's probably in a similar boat
>>
OP as somebody who bought into the pump action fad , dont listen

get a 1301 or a ultima patrol do not listen to them no matter what

if you want to use less lethal ammo you can just manually charge each round with the charging handle

The beretta shotguns are god tier. its something you can only understand after you touch one
>>
Just FYI the SKU 50765 590a1 comes with a choke. In case you are on the fence about getting the best pump action shotgun ever made

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/015813507653
>>
File: tjl08vjnc7221.jpg (313 KB, 2048x1536)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>62515599
>Go out and buy an old (1970s or 1980s) Remington 870.
>>
>>62517412
>autoloader won’t cycle less lethal ammo
Duh. Are you retarded?
>>
>>62515473
If you can afford a good auto then get one. Don’t listen to pump action cope.
>>
>>62517927
>Duh. Are you retarded?
Hey moron, if you read >>62515503 then you know that OP wanted to shoot less lethal through a semi. That's why I mentioned it.
>>
>>62517956
Then he’s a dumbass and you are too for using an anecdote instead of telling him why they won’t cycle.
>>62515503
Do not use less than lethal ammunition. Any use of a firearm in a self defense situation is considered lethal force.
>>
IS THE MAC1014 JUST AS GOOD OR ARE SHILLS LYING AGAIN?!
>>
>>62518001
>turk shotgun
What do you think, anon?
>>
>>62517997
Less-lethal is fine if you want to try shooting it for fun, but I agree it's a terrible choice for HD. It's outright illegal for civillians in some states. When it's not illegal it's just stupid: it can very easily kill someone, yet it is not reliable for stopping a threat. That's the absolute worst combination of factors you could have for a HD weapon.
>>
>>62518024
I have a turk pistol and it's been pretty reliable so far
>>
>>62518001
watch the TFB tv reviews of said turkish shotguns

(they fall the fuck apart after 500 rounds)
>>
>>62518035
Their pistols and shotguns are in completely different leagues.
>>
>>62518055
I thought that was that panzer one?
>>
>>62518057
oh.
>>
>>62518062
They're all made in the same factories with different importation names.
>>
>>62518062
Are you implying that they aren’t made in the same factory?
>>
>>62518074
>>62518075
oh... well that's good to know
>>
>>62515473
Im slowly starting to become double barrel pilled, is this the inevitable transformation into a boomer fudd?
>>
File: IMG_5397.jpg (2.43 MB, 4031x2002)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
>>62515473
I love my 1301

Look at the A300 Patrol, but what would stop me from buying one is that the 1301 doesn’t have a recoil tube in the stock so therefore it can use 870 or mossberg 500 stocks with an adapter. Plus there is a folding stock available for the 1301 if you want maximum larp
>>
>>62515473
1301 or a300 patrol are better options than most pumps, but a mav88 is like $300. Maverick 88s can shoot almost every shell type out there, are cheap, and dependable but it takes longer to get good with them. Besides shooting accurately, you have to become proficient with the slide and loading manipulations. Pumps are slower, have more recoil, and are harder to get good with due having a higher workload. If you can afford and have access to autos I don’t think there is a reason to go with a pump in 2024, but if you want a pump, I’d just save money and go with the maverick and get a good sling and a m300 light. I wouldn’t want my only gun to be a shotgun but if you want to add a shotgun to the arsenal then a maverick88 checks the box. About the most fun I’ve ever had shooting was with a 1301 and benelli m4 so my next purchase will be an Italian auto. I have an Ithaca 37 featherlight which I do not enjoy shooting, but I enjoy shooting autoloaders. I also hate lever actions so I recognize I may have some bias against manual action long guns, but I still enjoy single action revolvers, break action, straight pull, and bolt action long guns.
>>
File: jsvklwgy7893vh.png (409 KB, 1169x462)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
>>62518108
That's normal, it's the 2nd to last stage of being a shotgun fanatic before you get into small bores.
>>
>>62515473
anyone who buys a tacticool semi auto shotgun is a retarded mall ninja. If your shotgun has a mag that holds more than 5 or so rounds and doesn't have interchangeable chokes you are buying mall ninja shit. Just use an AR at that point. you want a shotgun to be nimble enough to shoot clays and birds
>>62515503
>and less than lethal round options
mega retardation
>>
>>62519390
You might think you sound wise, but that's not the case. I mean that with love. Have a great evening, anon.
>>
>>62515633
They are called ellipsis, you dumb fuck, and this website is the home of many thousands of English language abusers. And they are also a modern trend, like qualifier and pleonasm abuse.
I blame YouTube personally.
>>
>>62519390
>If your shotgun has a mag that holds more than 5 or so rounds and doesn't have interchangeable chokes you are buying mall ninja shit. Just use an AR at that point.

Yeah cool, lemme just swap out my Auto-5 for my AR-15 at the sporting clay range, just because it doesn’t have a choke, surely nothing can go wrong with that you fucking retard.
>>
>>62519565
I wouldn't call an Auto-5 "tacticool", but you do you.
>>
>>62515473
get a browning A5. the italian loading mechanism on their semis is absolutely retarded. if you don't know what im talking about, go deflower yourself and shoot something first before you drop a pile on one.

>t. italian semi owner
>>
>>62519676
Why don’t you say which shotgun you own and which shotguns have the issue you’re talking about instead of being vague?
>>
>>62515473
This is somewhat a different take over the others... but hear me out. I'd say buy a semi auto just for the fact that recoil is more likely less than a pump.

>What a wuss

I don't care. Shotguns recoil hard as is, and the reloading mechanisms take a while to learn and get used to, meaning you will need to train more with it. If you feel so banged up after a range session or a training session that you start to dread using it, you will most likely not use it more, and in that you will not be as proficient with it more.

Take this from a guy who bought a Beretta 1301 before it was cool and never looked back since. Shot pumps after and saw why AR nerds disparage it so hard despite the potential of the shotgun platform
>>
>>62519787
>Shotguns recoil hard as is,
The recoil of a shotgun is entirely dependent on what shell you're firing. Target loads are weak. Heavy hunting loads have very high recoil. Everything else is somewhere in the middle. Most of the time people are complaining about "high recoil" on a shotgun it's because they aren't holding it correctly or they picked the wrong ammo to shoot.

I'm not disagreeing with your recommedantion of semis, but I would say it comes down to budget. If you've got $300 then a pump is a far better buy than a semi. If you've got $1500? Now that's different.
>>
>>62515473
>Want to dip into shotguns
stay the fuck away from freedom fighter tactical
it's run by a bootlicking pussy faggot in california, who resells other people's parts and then applies an absurd markup, total scumbag
>>
>>62519390
>n-no!! you can’t just buy a gun that doesn’t have a “sporting purpose”
>>
>>62519390
>thinks 12g is comparable to 5.56
>uses the words tacticool and mall ninja
i think you're the mallninja trying to be tacticool with an AR
why do you own an AR?
>>
>>62515503
Get an o/u Blaser
>>
>>62519927
in case blm tries to lynch me
>>62519905
>>62519441
shotguns are literally sporting guns, retard
>>62519565
does your auto5 hold more than 5+1? you are a fucking retard if you don't see the difference between a semi auto clay/hunting gun and a mall ninja gun
>>
>>62515599
Scattergun Tech/Wilson Combat+old beat to fuck 870 is the way to go.
>>
>>62519979
>in case blm tries to lynch me
a 10mm sub gun like the kriss vector, or even a 45 sub gun would suit you better
you only need 10" of barrel for either to get atomic results inside unarmored targets
you can suppress them both easier than 5.56
>>
Wop shills need to fuck off already. Tired of hearing them shill for these pieces of shits when Beretta QC is barely existent, worse than turkshit even. And their customer service? FUHGEDDABOUDIT
>>
>>62519724
I have a franchi affinity 3, which is basically just a benelli montefeltro/m2/stoeger m3k etc. Its not really relevant, all italian style semis have essentially the same loading procedure - you pull bolt back, load one in through ejection port, hit bolt release, then load the tube through the bottom. If you try to load the tube while the gun is not primed and bolt is forward - you cant! they all copied the same bullshit locking gate mechanism that prevents you from doing shit that seems like a completely obvious thing to do, which you could do on a browning A5 for decades now. There are multiple products and gunsmiths out there that offer fixes to the loading gate lock mechanism so that you can quickload on an empty chamber but they are all jank.

why does this matter? lets say you want to store the shotgun cruiser ready - full tube, empty chamber. the process to accomplish that involves some ungodly ritual of phreaking the bolt release while holding the loading gate down and loading the tube all while the gun is literally cocked and primed, and if you mess up a shell lifts into the chamber and you have to start all over.

2nd scenario, you are a competitive shooter that can quad load shells. you fire until empty and bolt locks back. you can't immediately quad load - you have to load one into the side port, release bolt forward, then you can quad load.

it just makes no fucking sense at all and no one questions it.

american semis just don't have this idiotic design flaw.
>>
>>62520023
>when Beretta QC is barely existent
this is the first i'm hearing of it, are you saying the pasta isn't al dente?
>>
>>62520012
cuck state. easier to get an AR than to get a sub gun or a sbr or a can. Plus I have an HBAR for matches so having 2 ARs is more convenient than trying to get some mall ninja shit
>>
>>62519927
Dude your on the wrong board if you don’t agree with owning semi auto rifles
>>
>>62520084
>cuck state
oh, idk why you all comply, the illegitimate liberal governments don't care for the laws we have on the books and just write up whatever they want to make them feel safer, in direct contradiction to the constitution

no one complied in california, and i routinely see californians in border states buying
>>
>>62520096
you misunderstand, i want you to be able to own belt fed mg3s, incendiary grenades, at4s and fully functioning mortars, among other things

all im saying is ARs suck, and most people shouldn't use them in lieu of the myriad of calibers available, especially if you're only worried about hordes of mindless npcs
>>
>>62520114
>complaining about the most widely owned and operated modern american gun platform tested and proven by literally millions and saying it sucks

nice flannel, dork.
>>
>>62520125
>most widely owned and operated
is the iphone the best phone?
does dell make the best pc?
is the camry the greatest car ever?
see where i'm going with this? most don't, which is why you all buy ARs like lemmings

.223/5.56 is a baby bitch round, and you can't refute that
if you own a 5.56 ar you can't tell me why you own that specifically, go ahead and try
>>
>>62520134
>is the iphone the best phone?
yes, it is, but even if it weren't, thats a different argument. You're postulating that because something isn't the best, it must suck. Don't move the goalpost.

If you think the AR is the best, that's your prerogative. If you think it sucks, you are just a fool. It's that simple.
>>
>>62520150
>Don't move the goalpost.
not moving anything, im trying to frame an easy discussion for your little brain on how popular things aren't the best, but that is beyond your mental faculties, as i even pointed out "most don't"

/k/ brains are like kindergarten putty, you're all so smooth and formless, anons like you can't even read
>>
>>62520134
>if you own an AR you can't tell me why you own that specifically

parts availability and modularity, 1MOA groups with zero effort, lightweight widely available caliber with a broad variety of loads.

you can bitch about hole sizes all you want - i'd take a .22 i can run consistently and hit targets with over whatever mil larp nonsense flavor of the week favorite round you're about to tell me is universally better.

>inb4 some retarded body armor penetration argument
grow up and accept that you're a larper.
>>
>>62520167
>popular things aren't the best
again, you're moving the goalpost. You are trying to defend your proposition that "the AR sucks" by now saying it sucks because it's not the best.

Sure can spit some flames for someone with their wires crossed.
>>
>>62520193
>grow up and accept that you're a larper.
i'm calling you all the larpers for using the mil larp nonsense that IS the AR

you're all so high on stonertrash you don't even see how cucked you are, the other anon is still trying to pretend ARs are "best" or something, who knows with you poor dumb losers
you all buy ARs because you're too dumb to comprehend ballistic charts, and too poor to test all the guns you want, hence you settle for basic bitch ARs in 5.56 and think you've got all your bases covered

im poking and prodding you retards into getting your lazy minds into action, but most of you are utterly hopeless brainlets who get confused and attack the post lol causing me to point out your retardation, and you STILL wont understand
>>
you fuckers don't even know that the people who do arms procurement for the military and socom don't like 5.56, that they constantly try to move to different rounds, even 7.62x39 in some cases, but try getting a bunch of appointed dumb fucks(who think just like the other arfags( to go with that...

you people actually have no clue
>>
>>62520221
I paid $450 for an AR that shot 1MOA out of the box. Please inform me how this is cucked? I don't need to read an excel spreadsheet to gauge a gun's effectiveness because I actually shoot guns and can see for myself.

>settle for basic bitch ARs
again, explain how this is "settling"?

You're really starting to sound like a gun hipster trashing the gun that was "the thing" for the last decade. Honestly I agree with you that ARs are basic bitch rifles. They are starting to become a bit tired and boring to shoot because they just shoot perfectly straight out of the box almost all the time.

>poking and prodding you retards into getting your lazy minds into action
into action to do what exactly?
>>
>>62520105
why would I break the law to get a worse gun?
>>62520114
>>62520134
>>62520221
holy shit you are a fucking retard if you think ARs are bad. are you the same retard who thinks its legal or a good idea to use less lethal rounds?
>>
>>62520237
so, to summize, because you are too incompetent to do it yourself, your argument for why the AR sucks is:
- its for poors
- the military suddenly doesn't like 5.56 after spending nearly 5 decades supporting its use

???

verification not required
>>
>>62520261
1moa of what?
.22 at 50-7gr? wooooow

did you know we can't even begin to think to design a new rifle with different controls because npc dumbfucks can't adopt a new manual of arms, arfags are so stupid, that designers have to keep running with AR lowers on new guns because of this, like i said, you morons have no idea how dumb you are, and how bad things really are, because you're part of the problem

and part of the bigger problem is, you're all larpers who have no legitimate use for turbocharged .22
>>
>>62516030
Did you find yours for that price locally or online? I've been hunting for the tiger stripe version but am worried its unobtanium.
>>
>>62520237
>>62520221
This new pasta has potential. Mind if I take it to workshop it a bit?
>>
>>62518164
Do you have the gen 1 or gen 2 version? I'm assuming gen 1
>>
>>62520273
>the military suddenly doesn't like 5.56 after spending nearly 5 decades supporting its use
it's that difficult for you to understand? that we are just running what the average retard can handle because it doesn't really matter? because infantry units with small arms don't win the war

another moron
>>
>>62520283
make it a sticker and put it on your gun safe where you keep all your butthole prostrating devices
>>
>>62520292
>butthole prostrating devices
Butthole laying down devices? Not sure what that is, but making it into a sticker to adorn my safe does sound cool
>>
>>62520288
>infantry units with small arms dont win the war

yeah, you're right, i guess we should all be defending our property and hunting game with anti-material rifles, artillery, and cluster munitions dropped by drones. Is that what you would deem "the best?" and therefore doesn't suck?
>>
Mildly retarded question, but, how stout are the recoil differences between a semi and pump 12 gauge?
Chronic shoulder injuries (both sides). Last time I shot a 12 gauge pump it caused bad flare ups, but they were also 3" shells.
>>
>>62520368
A good semi auto shotgun will recoil a lot less. That being said it's time for you to stop enjoying shooting sports anon. The retirement home is calling
>>
>>62520368
if you're literally getting injured shooting 12gauge, you should just not shoot 12gauge. I'm sorry but you're just built different.
>>
>>62519390
you realize you can put any of the 3" chamber A400 barrels on a 1301 tactical , all the way up to the 28" barrels or the slug barrels
>>
>>62520368
a padded shooting jacket might help
>>
>>62515503
Less lethal is for police doing riot control.

If it's home defense then use buckshot.

There are cases made where intentionally trying to just injure a home invader can get you into hot water versus states with Castle law where you just try to kill them, even if unsuccessful, you'll keep your shotty and never see the back of a cruiser or end up in court.

It's a gun, it's made to kill, get used to that fact because if someone breaks in you don't know their intention (hence Castle law).

Not sure about you but I believe that anyone who breaks into my house where my wife and children are has come to terms that their end may be inevitable. I'm not willing to give them the opportunity to explain themselves, we've gotten past that point.
>>
>>62515473
Pumps are more versatile. Manual cycling means you can use a wider variety of specialist rounds. Also, pumps are fun, but that’s just personal preference.
>>
>>62515602
>cuck mag
Garbage

So is that forend and stop, what the hell are you thinking anon?
>>
>>62520457
op is talking about using less lethal for HD. retard is going to shoot clays with a cylinder bore barrel
>>
>>62520749
>op is talking about using less lethal for HD
none of that is in the OP at all
>>
>>62520755
see>>62515503
retardo
>>
>>62516030
How fast do you have to be to outrun it? I do not have a fast finger, .18 or so is pretty much my max with an AR or 1911 and I can still outrun my m3000 on a bill drill but I think the inertial actions tend to be slow. My brother is much much faster, he can rip .13 and .14 splits like it’s nothing with AR or pistol but he doesn’t even own a shotgun.
>>
>>62520784
>i dont know what OP is
>>
>>62517389
It's way overblown. I used to shoot a lot of skeet and seen all manner of ppl shoot and types of semis and while there I have seen failures ppl clear them and move on with their life and the gun kept running fine. Imo it's basically the same shit as Vietnam vets hating the m16 bc they were issued the first gen ones with all its problems and given no instructions on how to use and maintain it. Then spend decades saying it's shit when the rest of the world has moved on.
>>
>>62519257
Absolutely I now exclusively do clays with o/u and hunt with SXS. Turns out ppl already figured out shotguns 150yrs ago and everyone else is just rehashing the same shit and cooking up slop up sell.
>>
>>62520058
It's kind of a known thing since about covid. Even the boomers on shotgun world bitch about it. You're just that new.
>>
>>62520368
Your problem can be solved by shooting 20ga. I myself moved to basically exclusively hunting and shooting with 20s. You aren't giving up much moving to 20 and if it's more comfy you will make better hits. My HD gun is a semi 20. It will handle any threat inside or around the house that isn't a swat team coming for you.
>>
>>62517911
Which model of 870 is this? Is this a tac-14 with a urbino stock added? Is this even NFA compliant?
>>
How much of a meme are shockwaves and the like? Not intending to use it for anything serious, just a funny range toy.
>>
>>62515486
you've never shot a shotgun before, have you, underaged poster
>>
>>62521227
They can be fun. I work with a guy who can absolutely shred with one and it's fun to watch. They get really fun when you load them with shorty shells.
>>
get a sauer sl5 for cheap right now or a beretta a300

if you dont care about semi auto just get a maverick 88 field/security combo
>>
>>62521227
they work pretty good actually, surprisingly easy to point shoot

i wish i could find noble sport 2 1/4 gauge 12 gauge shells, those were the best
>>
>>62521062
>Work at a company with a large armory of shotguns that get put to hard and consistent use
>More berettas and benellis than you can shake a stick at
>No difference between our newer guns like the A300UP and 1301M2 or the older ones with tens of thousands of shells through them
Their domestic customer service has always been lackluster unless you're a large account and have a dedicated rep. No arguments there. We've seen no evidence that their quality control or manufacturing has fallen off. If it has, they are most certainly not pushing out lemons left and right as the hysterical among us would like to imply. Our shotguns get beat the hell up. We're not seeing irregular failures or defects and we buy and employ a fuck load of shotguns.
>>
>>62522892
How does the Sauer SL5 stack up to the A300? I've never heard anything about it but the tactical model is a nice price.
>>
>>62519844
Not disagreeing, but also need to remember that some people's stout is always different.

I actually got other people to shoot and even on semi auto, some felt 00 buck is too stout for them that they said they even bruise.

I have trained with my shotgun, can do reload drills, and also doing push pull enough that I can short stock the gun. But that came cuz I found it fun enough to shoot it first instead of being banged up and feeling shit and feel forced to shoot it.

With this, for new shotgun owners I say shoot the darn thing first and make sure it is ergonomic for you and you can at least handle 00 buck. Slugs will always be stout, but reduced recoil slugs exist and you will not always chuck slugs. But 00 buck? Yeah you will have to train with it.
>>
>>62525889
>some felt 00 buck is too stout for them that they said they even bruise.
You're leaving out half the equation. What kind of 00 buck are we talking here? It's not all the same. An 8-pellet defensive load is extremely manageable. A 15-pellet magnum hunting load? Yeah, that's going to be pretty damn serious.

>but reduced recoil slugs exist
reduced recoil versions exist of every shot size and type. pick the one appropriate for your task at hand. If you're training there's zero reason to shoot the hot stuff.
>>
>>62526244
Not magnum. Just regular 9 pellet 2.75 inch 00 buck. That's as standard as it gets for baseline shotgun experience.

Some just cannot handle it even with a really nice butt pad on semi auto, let alone pump. Weirdly enough, a shorter LOP pistol grip shotgun can be a better experience than a standard stock with long LOP. Experience vary but it just tend to be the case.
>>
>>62526308
>Some just cannot handle it even with a really nice butt pad on semi auto
Those people should shoot low-recoil 8 pellet instead. There's zero reason to let the gun beat you up. If someone is having trouble with a given load they should shoot something lighter instead. Even among 9 pellet 2.75 in there is a lot of variation, you can get it anywhere from about 1100 to 1500 fps. That might not sound like a big difference, but it's massive.

>Weirdly enough, a shorter LOP pistol grip shotgun can be a better experience...
I have noticed the same thing. The only shotty I have a pistol grip on is my slug gun, and that's also the only one whose length of pull is a little too short for me. I find I don't point the gun as well with the pistol grip but that doesn't matter for slugs anyway.
>>
File: 7544234.png (757 KB, 1060x596)
757 KB
757 KB PNG
The only reason you should own a shotgun is for a pleasant morning stroll through a clay course in autumn
>>
File: 1707598817865223m.jpg (117 KB, 1024x701)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>62526471
This guy gets it, if I wanted to larp as a l33t 0p3r4t0r I'd buy an AR. Shotguns are peak comfy
>>
>>62521266
>y-you've never shot a shotgun
I have my 590 and 870. I just like pumps you awful fag whats wrong with that? Benellis, 1301's and other modern semis are great, but not nearly as cool
>>
File: P_20240831_002108.jpg (2.1 MB, 2048x1536)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>62524861
Haven't shot an A300 but took out the SL5 a couple weeks back.
Super smooth and patterned consistently. Choked up on a few shells with extraction issues but eventually ran like a boss after 50 shells. It ate everything from #8 birdshot to magnum slugs. I tried to outrun the gun but I just couldn't pull fast enough. Recoil was very manageable.
If the A300 runs better and faster than this, it would be a really remarkable gun
>>
>>62526673
Is it actually just an M2 clone made by other Italians rather than Turks? Does it take all the accessories and furniture?
>>
>>62526747
From what I understand, Breda made this and it was licensed to Sauer. Breda was also the original designer of the M2 in collaboration with Beretta which led to Benelli being created. It's the OG M2 and is fully compatible with M2 parts
>>
File: soiled.jpg (44 KB, 247x462)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>62515473
You can't c-clamp a pump without readjusting your grip after every shot.

Semi is the pro meta strat for shotgunning.
>>
>>62528242
>Semi is the pro meta strat
Only when you're shooting static targets, like 3-gun. Doubles mog semis and pumps in all clay sports.
>>
>>62521074
>My HD gun is a semi 20
What kind/configuration? I don't know how you kit up 20 gauges, the aftermarket is so limited.
>>
>>62526747
ya, you can get the g&gg extendo tubes and what not for it. same parts as beneilli m2 i think

these were selling for like $600ish on closeout from a few guys a while ago, gunbroker or a few other shops may still have some.

right now rsr (my dealer) has 17 ins tock for $499.99 (nonghost ring sights). damn thats tempting; but while these are nice they are kinda hard to move because the general public is retarded when it comes to good guns for the money. but to be fair most people dont even shoot their guns that much
>>
File: bioshock.gif (312 KB, 165x115)
312 KB
312 KB GIF
>>62528280
>Only when you're shooting static targets
you sound retarded
>>
>>62529264
Would you prefer if I'd have said "combat larping" instead?
>>
>>62528280
semis are better in all practical sense
look at miami dade, dude got shot and has to pump one handed by bracing it between his legs on the ground
https://youtu.be/iv8cByaVyNQ?t=1071
with a semi he could have kept his eye on target while laying down a withering hail of firepower despite being one arm down
>>
>>62529259
Yeah I saw those prices, and the ghost ring sight ones for close to $700. Really tempting against the A300, and the snowflake in me likes that it's a relatively obscure gun on closeout while I can probably get the Beretta whenever I wanted.
>>
File: what.png (72 KB, 495x398)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>62529280
No, it's your moronic presumption that semis can't hit targets if they're moving.
>>
>find federal flite control 00 buck for 50c/shell
>buy 200 shells for testing
>chew through 120 shells patterning and experimenting
>immediately buy 1,000 more
I always thought the stuff was probably a little overhyped. It's apparently not. If you've got a hunting/sporting tier shotgun with long barrel and tight choke, you can typically pattern 00 buck pretty tight. If you've got a "combat" shotgun with an 18-20" barrel and something like a cylinder or improved cylinder choke, the flite control wads are magical. Cut the patterns down to about half the size at 50 yards. Inside of that it's borderline precise pellet placement.
>>
>>62528280
There is very little functional difference between them. I've been competing in trap and sporting clays for 25 years now with pumps, O/Us and semis. Yes, O/U is the typical competition gun, but it does not provide a distinct advantage for clays unless maybe you get to a professional level where thousandths count. I say that preferring to compete with an O/U unless I'm aiming for the pump sub-category trophy, in which case I'll even go to 20ga to go after double sub-trophies. "Mog" is an overstatement for 98% of shooters/competitors out there. I've seen many a man shred $5-10k O/U enjoyers with a beat to hell ancient 1187 and even an auto 5. Shooter trumps gun every single time.
>>
>Multiple posts about the sauer sl5
>My LGS has a sl5 3 gun for $600
I think I'm gonna do it bros, anybody know where to get a field stock that doesn't cost a gorillion dollars?
>>
>>62530072
I didn't say they couldn't hit anything. I said they weren't the meta.
>>
>>62531720
>Shooter trumps gun every single time.
Absolutely. But that wasn't part of the question.

>Yes, O/U is the typical competition gun,
We agree then.

>but it does not provide a distinct advantage for clays
Break-action doubles have a number of advantages. There's no bolt in the gun so that means you can either have a shorter overall length for the same barrel, or you can have a longer barrel for the same overall length of gun. It can't misfeed or jam. The ergonomics are superior. You can have two different chokes in the gun at the same time providing you an advantage when you shoot doubles. The only disadvantage is capacity, but that's moot for clay sports.
>>
>>62528818
It's literally a normal ass semi shotgun with a 20" barrel. I guess I could mount a light on it. Other than that what else do you need for shooting a shotgun inside 25 yds? I also use it to blast turkeys.
>>
>>62531913
You're buying into the M2 platform, you have to go gucci
>>
>>62533573
What model?
>>
>>62520285
Gen 1, might pick up a used Gen 2 to fuck around with
>>
>>62518164
Love the 1301 for a variety of raisins, but I honestly can't possibly appreciate the mod 2's stock furniture more than I already do. I think they nailed the ergos and LOP, at least on the classic stock/grip version. Never been a huge fan of pistol grip shotguns. That magpul stuff is comfy in its own right though, bigger fan of the stock/grip than I am their forend though.
>>
>>62532490
Semis are the meta regardless if the target is stationary or not.
>>
>>62534693
A turkshit tristar viper g2, and I have ran thousands of rounds through it if you can believe it. Mostly bird shit for clays and a bit of everything else.
>>
>>62534074
Sounds like a necessary price, thankfully I don't plan on adding very much, just a comfortech stock and a longer field barrel.
>>
>>62515527
>I cordially invite you to not be retarded.

Invitation discarded
>>
>>62535026
I really really want to try the Mossberg/870 top folding stocks on the 1301 to make it kind of like a Spas 12. It's just that it's my homedefense gun so I don't want to fuck with it.
>>
>>62515620
How is using number 4 buck "cucking out" when you get more stopping power than a 556 and less penetration?
>>
>>62519390
If we're both in a house or small office and we have to kill each other. I'd much rather have a semi auto shotgun than an AR15. At close distances an instant incapacitating shot is of highest importance and I'm more likely to achieve that with a shotgun than an AR. I might or might not be going to the hospital after you hit me with an AR-15 round or two. You won't be going to the hospital with a single 12 gauge blast in your torso. Let alone head lol.
>>
>>62515473
Get a Boss, Purdey, or Holland. You aren't some subhuman peasant, are you?
>>
>>62537309
I'm shocked nobody has bothered recreating the spas 12 folding stock for other shotguns. It sounds like easy money for some aluminum and plastic.
>>
>>62537665
they fucking suck shit to use and most semiauto designs still produced usually have some kinda buffer tube in the stock.
>>
>>62537868
spas 12s suck to use in general, but that doesn't stop people from lusting after them. Even if it's furniture for a pump I'm sure people would pay a stupid amount for it.
>>
>>62515473
I like mossberg, but the 1301 is much better than the 940
>>
>>62521116
The 870 is easier to customize then pretty much anything.
It could be a 5 shot 870, with just a 14" barrel added.
>>
>>62520032
are you retarded? all you have to do is hit the bolt release and then load the tube. now you have a full tube with an empty chamber.

>>62526308
the length of pull has to fit your body. if the gun doesn't fit it's going to beat you up far more than one that does.

>>62537468
4 buck has the same external ballistics as magdumping with .25 auto
>>
>>62531720
>even an auto 5
Of course I know him, he's me.

I get more attention with that ancient 50's girl from the oldtimers than any of the $60k O/Us out at an event.

I have other regular shotguns too, but I always enjoy taking out the weird stuff. My scores would probably be better if I stuck to one gun, but what fun is that.
>>
>>62537504
5.56 seemed pretty effective for kyle
>>
>>62541812
using the kenosha shooting as a display of 5.56's effectiveness has never not been retarded. its only tolerated because everyone self-inserts as kyle.
>>
>>62541858
we literally watched him heem the skateboarder with one round
>>
>>62515602
Day 17: the turkshit still does not realize I'm a Benelli m4
>>
>>62518164
what shroud do you have on that barrel? looks nice
>>
>>62520134
post alternative that you actually own then
>>
File: IMG_20230118_172616148~2.jpg (768 KB, 3879x1520)
768 KB
768 KB JPG
>>62517179
I like to use an m4 with a co witnessed holosun circle reticle to shoot clays. Good for training of getting a fast sight picture using an optic, on a moving target. Especially when using the cylinder bore choke. Full choked m4 is genuinely good for casual clay shooting. Yeah still the O/U will be faster to line up and be able to get better hits at longer distances. So ya maybe miss a few clays but it's a lot of fun using an optic on a moving target.
>>
>>62543751
how do you manage that? I'm terrible at trap but a coach told me that looking at the bead is why I miss.
>>
>>62544487
>Looking at the bead is why I miss
I get what he's saying here. When I'm on a hot streak of 8+ clays busted with the first shot of an O/U. "In the zone" or whatever, the bead(s) don't seem to matter. The main thing is focusing on the clay and how it's moving as to where to point and when to pull the trigger.
When using the m4 I generally have the clay launcher set to just lob the clay slow and steep. With the optic, the sight picture while properly lined up has the clay halfway between the green circle and the frame of the optic
>>
File: IMG_1676.jpg (64 KB, 512x512)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>62521266
>>
File: IMG_6478.jpg (1.26 MB, 2133x1673)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>62519983
This, I have two 870P’s and I still want one.

>>62520384
Intertia system says hold my beer.

>>62521227
Then you find out a used police SBS with stamp is about the same price.

>>62526432
When I was an LEfag, the meanest females could shoot “tactical” low power buck from a 14” with no problem.
>>
>>62521266
You didn't refute him. Arguably he is a retard like you but if you take the time to insult someone at least provide evidence you are more knowledgeable.
>>
>>62515486
Half baked but pump for a shottie newb is good because you can actually watch the carrier/lifter work. Plus cheaper and learning to CONSTANTLY RELOAD and limitations and benefits of the platform are there.
I do not own a semi, only pump (500). What is slug change-over like on a 930 or Benelli? Does 930 still need roll and extra loss?
>>
So is this she shotgun thread?
My mag tube is incredibly stiff. It's a 4 round one, the first two rounds go in somewhat fine but after that it's geniunely very hard and uncomfortable to put them in, I really need to strongarm them.
Would shortening the spring to relief tension help or might it lead to reliability issues? Although I really don't see why shells need to be ejected out the mag tube at like 50mph
>>
>>62545712
are you sure you don't have something like a 5 round spring in a 4 round tube? if you can physically fit all 4 rounds in it probably isn't too long. try taking the spring out and inspecting it and the follower.
>>
>>62515473
Try grabbing a used remington 11-87. Its self-regulating gas system is really handy, cycles with anything from <28g range shot to full-on supermagnums without issue.
>>
>>62545823
Well, I bought it new from a store, so I assume (hope? lol), that the correct spring was installed. I can get them in there, sure, but it's genuinelly really hard after the second shell and also dangerous, cause my thumb keeps getting snagged in the loading gate latch or how it's called. I thought about inspecting the spring, but the weird thing is, I don't think I can get it out without dremeling the end of the mag tube, it has a circular thing holding the spring and follower in the tube, so basically the very end of the mag tube is closed (even though it has a mag tube nut that seals it already)
>>
>>62545923
what model shotgun is it? the thing that retains the spring is either a spring plug that you can pry out, or you have to push it in and rotate it and then you can remove it. it's also possible that the gun came with a duck plug, but in that case you shouldn't have been able to put the 3rd shell in at all. it's possible though that you went full ape mode and forced the 3rd shell in with the plug in and mangled the shit out of it. post a picture of the end of the mag tube with the cap removed.
>>
>>62545947
I'm betting this is what happened. This mongrel didn't take out the plug.
>>
>>62545947
>>62546424
Hold on, wait... I'm supposed to pry it out? But it's solid as fuck, thick plastic, I don't think that's the case. It doesn't bend or nothing, I'd have to drill or dremel it, which might certainly damage the mag tube.
>>
>>62547092
WHAT SHOTGUN IS IT RETARD? ONLY THEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO HELP YOU.
>>
File: 20240920_1128581.jpg (3.78 MB, 1512x2016)
3.78 MB
3.78 MB JPG
The jew fears the backyard nigger-goat farmer
>>
>>62545125
If you manually rack the slide on a Benelli or Beretta without hitting the shell release lever you will not have to dump out an extra round. It will clear the chamber but not feed another round from the magazine tube. 930/940 will need to drop an extra round from the tube to do a slug changeover that way.
>>
>>62547905
*rack the bolt
>>
I don't want to start a new thread, but how bad did I fuck up by buying a TriStar Cobra 3 pump?
>>
>>62548538
Bad. You could have bought a Mossberg 88 which has a very proven track record.
>>
>>62545125
My 1301 if you have buck in the chamber you rack the bolt and then just drop a slug in there. Unless the hammer drops it will not spit enough round out of the tube.
>>
>>62548585
This was on special though and I was interested in the forward spring assist.
>>
>>62548879
NTA but yeah it was on special because it's Turkshit. You could've had a Mossberg Maverick 88 for $190 which is a hell of a reliable shotgun whether or not you consider the price.
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/049533310101
>>
>>62548926
I cut like ten inches off the barrel since the tactical is only 18.5 inches long.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.