[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1939-and-the-M1_1.jpg (77 KB, 650x789)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Can anyone tell me if the ported gas plug is any good from personal experience. Does this mean that any modern .30-06 ammo is usable in the Garand. Does it have any significant effect on muzzle velocity or accuracy?
https://www.garandgear.com/product/ported-gas-plug/
>>
>>62520631
I don't understand why people get old guns that are finnicky like that when you can just get an AR15 for like 400 bucks.
>>
>>62520635
Because the M1 Garand is Sovl, also its the greatest battle implement ever devised.
.223 chuds would never understand
>>
>>62520635
>I don't understand why people get "assault weapons", a deer rifle from Walmart is all you need.
Because some of us actually like guns you neo-fudd. I don't care about unrealistic scenarios like getting into shootouts with Taliban, I just like owning cool things and having fun with them.
>>
>>62520635
If you view your gun as nothing more than a tool (I do) then yeah. Some people do more with it than that. Don't think too hard about it.
>>
Just use regular pressure factory 150g .30-06 and you don't need a special gas plug
A lot of .30-06 is 180g, but there is so much more 150g and "made for Garand rifle" factory ammo available compared to a decade ago
>>
>>62520631
Any modern ammo in the 140-175 grain range is fine. No plug needed.
>>
>>62520676
>>62520675
Really i thought the only ones guaranteed to be safe were the "For M1 Garand" series from S&B, PPU, and Federal as they are loaded to M2 Ball specs as well as getting actual surplus ammo from the time period. I thought that most modern ammo was off limits.
>>
>>62520641
Why'd we stop usin it?

>>62520651
AR15s are cool too tho.

>>62520666
Some people aren't smart, understood.
>>
>>62520631
Not from personal experience, no, but I would skip it still.
Stick to M2 spec for range/general use.
There are hunting loads that are spec'd or similar to M2 weight/velocity that would be safe if used sparingly, some even specifically made for Garands I have seen in the past.

Avoid any higher velocity rounds meant for bolt guns, they will beat up your op rod and it's not worth risking just because you have the plug, just my opinion.
>>
>>62520631
If you're not reloading ammo to specs for your antique, either hang the antique on a wall somewhere and never shoot it or just get rid of it. You have the entire fucking internet at your fingertips and you can't figure out what ammo is safe to shoot through it ... All I can say is shoot whatever through it and post vid of it exploding in your face. At least you'll be providing a small amount of entertainment value to counter what an annoying faggot you are.
>>
File: ltg.gif (166 KB, 220x220)
166 KB
166 KB GIF
>>62520717
>>
>>62520690
The Garand was not designed to fire M2 ball.
The only ammo that is problematic is heavy rounds with slow burning powder. It puts more stress on the op rod. The typical loads are all perfectly fine.
>>
>>62520737
not OP but I thought some ammo had problems with soft primers causing slamfires. is that true or just more fuddlore?
>>
>>62520768
More fuddlore. The firing pin is blocked until the bolt is locked, by that point there's no momentum left in the pin. The only time it can slam fire is when the gun is fucked up.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.