[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1706253812510111.jpg (127 KB, 1280x720)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
are filipinos stupid for getting light tanks in 2024?
>>
Not really. Its a boggy archipelago, MBTs would likely be useless in much of their country.
>>
>>62521784
it was in response to the unnecessarily slow advance they had at marawi, where despite having numerical superiority and firepower advantage, it took ages to defeat their enemy

the philippines is an archipelago with lots of mountains, so any vehicle cant be too heavy
they need heavy firepower to avoid a repeat of fighting the enemy building to building, so a large caliber gun was what they asked for
armor was not a priority, the enemy has no tanks or ATGMs, but all-around 14.5mm protection is still a lot better than the 8mm thick armor on the simba AFV

it is suited to their needs, which is effectively a modernized infantry tank
>>
>>62521798
Agreed. And the parts that aren't mangrove swamps, jungle, or sheer cliffs are heavily urbanized, with narrow poorly paved streets and confusing, constantly shifting terrain due to construction, demolition, fires, floods, etc. A light tank makes sense for infantry support in urban environments.
>>
>>62521808
don't forget earthquakes and typhoons
>>
>>62521784
I don't get why it has to be so tall though. Flips aren't big people, but this thing is taller than an Abrams.
>>
>>62522045
What's the max elevation on the main gun?

If they're planning for urban comat as >>62521808 suggests then maybe they want to be able to hit machine gun nests in multistorey buildings?
>>
>>62521784
No. It's perfect for their country
>>
File: IMG_7969.jpg (1.22 MB, 1290x1675)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Look at the roads that this tank is driving on anon. Now expand that to at least 50% of the roads in Philippines and now you see why it’s a good idea why they chose a light tank instead of a normal MBT.
>>
>>62522045
Maybe for dominating civilian flips in urban occupation? A bit tall for rioters to climb up on. They climb up the front just wack em with the gun.
>>
>>62522045
It's built on an IFV platform, which is tall to accommodate a troop compartment. I'm not real familiar with the design of this version but I have to figure the larger turret and ammo stowage takes up any passenger space for this one.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.