[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

No guns, buying my first air rifle is this a good choice?
Gamo 5.5 Black Bear rifle, seems decent, europoor btw so no real guns
>>
Does it require a permit?
I'm not sur3 about what the law says in my country. In some places it clearly atates anything over 220m/s needs a permit. In other places that all airguns need a permit.
>>
>>62522187
I had one of these, it was similar, they are fun.
>>
>>62522187
what country? Most retards complaining about muh cuck laws are just too lazy to get a permit
>>
>>62522690
This most yuros are just lazy.
>>
>>62522187
buy PCP if you can. An expensive break barrel (which the gamo is) has worse accuracy, recoil and less velocity then the cheapest of unregulated PCP rifles. idk what the laws are where you live, but a PCP, even if regulated is always a better choice then break barrel. if you for some reason choose to buy a break barrel, avoid gamo - it's overpriced and pretty mid quality wise. the fitment is ok, but everything is made from plastic. the sights on gamo guns also tend to be fragile. if you can, always buy Diana, it's the best you'll get for your money.
if you choose to take the risk, some Chinese guns can be very good. I snagged a Chinese copy of a Diana stormrider for under 100eur, never had any issues I couldn't fix, and it is very accurate.
always stay away from Turkish airguns, especially hatsan. much like gamo, it's overpriced plastic shit, but inaccurate with bad fitment. I have never held a hatsan which inspired me to buy it.
as for what caliber you should choose, although on paper .22(5.5mm) seems like a better choice than .17(4.5mm), the ballistics of .17 are far superior, shooting faster and flatter then .22. for small game the slight upper hand .22 has in terminal energy at farther ranges is miniscule when factoring for accuracy.
for a 200bar unregulated .17 PCP I have found that the energy of shot is maximised at 0.75g-0.8g shot. I have also shot slabs of meat and ballistic gel, hollow point tends to expand even from weaker air rifles. light match shot also tends to leave impressive wound chanells (relatively) and penetrate just fine, but for small game use hollow points at your rifles energy optimum point.
when choosing shot, beware that some chambers can't shoot some rounds. for some reasons, heavier shot in "slug" shapes has a hard time shooting from break barrels, and some chambers don't take anything but the smallest of match shot. always test before buying shot
>>
>>62522218
depends on the country, but generally you can't buy something you need a permit for. ask around in a hunting store, they tend to know a thing or two about gun laws.
>>
>>62525320
most ameriggers aren't aware that "some permit" costs upwards of 2000eur (about 3000 amerimutt inflation receipts) plus plenty of time.
>>
>>62522187
buy a weihrauch instead of a gamo
>>
>>62525453
Bullshit
>>
>>62525453
where? Mine cost me no more than 200 yurobucks
>>
File: 20240915_115356.jpg (1.44 MB, 4096x2557)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>62522187
What's the budget anon?
>>
>>62528229
What would be a good self defense air pistol for an American on a budget?
>>
File: IMG_20231007_183722_262.jpg (1.54 MB, 3442x1936)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>62528269
Hmm as a American I've not really thought that through because guns. Definitely not something like the pp700 in my picrel, while it could be tuned up to be a bit beefier than its current 16 its a single shot and big for a pistol. some people do tune these up real beefy and shoot them at decent distances with decent power but you'd want something SA out of a air pistol for self defense I'd think. I guess there's the gk1 but it's not budget and still gonna be pretty meh on power even compared to a 22lr pistol for self defense purposes at around 4-33 fpe in .22 and 4-38 fpe in .25, depending on tune. If you had to look at air guns for SD maybe look at AEA products, pretty powerful in comparison and on average less costly than something like a gk1. Keep in mind, all air pistols with any notable power are on the bulky side, so if entertaining the idea of carrying one around in public then consider that too maybe...
>>
>>62528461
Thanks, bulkiness isn't an issue because it would be for home defense, I'll look into aea, Idk about pistols but I've seen some .30 cal air rifles for good price
>>
can you get unrestricted air rifles or power limited like most euro countries?
>>
>>62522187
Air guns are cool even break barrel ones. I'm in America and thinking about getting into air gun game the only problem is I don't have anywhere where I live to shoot them for free, have to take it to the public shooting range. The gun in OP is probably accurate up to 20 yards which is ok for an air gun.
>>62528269

Maybe a semi auto that pushes 80-100 fpe but they don't make air pistols like that. Also you will have to check it's air pressure every night before bed time. Get a firearm if you live in America.
>>
>>62525453
That sucks.
Worth it.
>>
File: dfqqrtqiyskdtvdlkmup.jpg (23 KB, 300x400)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>62528740
You could always go with a hatsan blitz, assuming theyre reliable idk havent read much past specs. Full auto .22, .25, or .30, only a 16 shot mag in .30 but you can get some bigger ones that hold 33. Absolutely ugly gun though and almost 1k. Says around 100 usable shots a fill for .30 so could spray alot of lead with that thing fast albeit at 53 fpe. Would be enough to deter most joggers I'd think.
>>
>>62528269
>American
>air pistol for SD
>not just getting a BP revolver
???
>>
>>62529902
This makes sense anon and is probably way more cost effective
>>
>>62528461
What about this one. Looks like a different brand but the same manufacturer? Is a handpump an option or do you really want to have a compressor.?
>>
>>62525416
I read Hatsan makes a .30 caliber Carnivore break barrel. Sounds sweet enough. Diana only provides much smaller calibers. What are your thoughts on that? Honest question.
>>
>>62532814
People say good things about evanix, seem an reputable brand. Hand pump is fine but I'd get one rated for 4500 psi so you can fill a variety of airguns, you will find pcps with max pressures of 2k - 4.5k psi out there. Read instructions for proper care of the pump, don't want to overheat them. Air pistol pcps are typically very easy and quick to hand pump in my experience, full size rifle pcps are a bit of a work out and need frequent breaks to not overheat the pump. My pp700 fills in less than 2 minutes of pumping, my marauder takes about 300 pumps to go to 3k from 1k with 5-10 minute breaks every 40 or so pumps so as to not overheat. Bit of a chore but it gets 70ish shots a fill so it doesn't need pumped frequently for my uses. Other than sighting in on a target i mainly use my airguns for collards or squirrels mainly and they are always ready to go, my favorite thing about pcps. Wouldn't worry about that pistol being hard to pump in the slightest. Weihrauch also makes a pcp pistol but it is pretty pricy like the gk1. I'll have to agree with other anons that a black powder revolver may be a better option for SD if actual firearms aren't a choice, way cheaper at around 200-350 for entry level decent, way less headache, and for sure lethal. No pumping no o rings or any of that to deal with.
>>
>>62533323
>PCP guns
How often do they leak air?
>>
>>62534317
Depends on the brand. The umarex hammer seems to be a horror story.
>>
>>62534317
I've had all mine for a good while, no leaks on any of them. That sort of thing varies by make and model, environment, level of usage, and how you care for your stuff.
>>
>>62528269
as has already been explained above (i jsut wanna get a word in anyhow), you can either get an airgun that is even remotely decent for self defence, or you can get an airgun on a budget. there is no option that combines the two. just get a BP revolver if you live in the land of the free.
>>
File: 1717433010595525.png (607 KB, 703x499)
607 KB
607 KB PNG
>>62522187
my air rifle does a cracking sound when pumping it, is the coil kill?
man its a hassle to replace these
>>
>>62535591
What is remotely decent for sd? A Texan SS?
>>
>>62536522
pcpfag here again, nothing single shot will be a good option pretty much. Texan is l o n g and is a single shot. Basically if you went this route pretend in your mind you have a long air gun coming out at fpe = to a 9mm pistol, and just one shot, weve all seen joggers take multiple rounds of 9mm and still run around and chimp. Idk anon that just doesn't fuck to me. I'd rather use even a very meh pietta BP revolver or some shit if i couldn't have a real gun. Can get one used for 90 - 100 around here.
>>
>>62528269
If BP is not being considered, wouldn't a pepperball launcher be better as a defensive option than a pellet gun?
>>
>>62539635
Probably but this guy seems stuck on using a AG
>>
>>62536522
the most powerful one I know is the AEA Zeus Bigbore, .72cal and (in the 36" barrel version) it does 1250 fpe (1700J). that's pretty much exactly the enrgy of a .50ae shot out of a Desert Eagle if wikipedia is to be believed. sure, it packs a wallop. but it's a single loader, not even magazine fed. if the tank is full you can fire a total of 3, maybe 4 full power shots.
AEA also has a model called the Terminator, which is a 10-shot semi auto, 9mm caliber, with 150 fpe (200J) of energy. so a bit more powerful than .32s&w long (or half the enrgy of a 9x19mm). far from ideal for defending oneself, but it's a lot better than nothing. and much preferable to some break barrel springer airgun for self defense.
but both of these cost well above $1k each, especially if you factor in the accessories youll need, like a pump or compressor.
>>
File: 20240919_115921.jpg (3.37 MB, 3072x2673)
3.37 MB
3.37 MB JPG
>>62540939
Aea makes a version of the zeus that shoots .95 at 4k fpe now from what I read, pretty wild. I think they said the projectile it shoots is 2500 grains. Love me airguns, simple as.
>>
>>62522187
Yeah it's fine. I can hit an acorn every time at 20 metres and i've killed some rats with a gamo. It's cheap and fun, worth the buy for the price. Also good practice for when you get a real gun.
>>
>>62535924
pls respond
>>
>>62536522
>What is remotely decent for sd?
Edgun Leshiy2

>A Texan SS?
>>62542538
Fuck no, you only get one shot with the Texan or the Zeus, they're also huge, making them impractical for anything but shooting off a bench.
>>
>>62543283
Anon, you can't possibly be serious. There's no way anyone can accurately identify what's wrong with your gun with only a terrible description of the sound to go by. There's many possible problems which could cause that sort of sound, and you didn't even tell us what model you have or when during the pumping process the sound happens.
>>
>>62543329
its a generic chink air rifle
it fires normally but does a cracking sound when you pump it (single pump) and you feel a slight change in resistance
>>
>>62543356
>its a generic chink air rifle
That's not helpful.

>but does a cracking sound when you pump it
That's not helpful either. You didn't explain where the sound is coming from or what part of the pump cycle it's happening in.

Post a video of this happening, with sound, since you seem incapable of writing a detailed description. Maybe someone can help from that.
>>
>>62543356
I couldn't find much of help on Google searching "generic Chink air rifle"
>>
>>62522187
Just bee yourself OP.
>>
>>62522187
What jyröpuur country has actually banned all gun ownership? I think none.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.