[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: old_airliner.png (303 KB, 1080x716)
303 KB
303 KB PNG
From what I it, fighters are just overpriced missile trucks that fire off their missiles far enough from the frontline not to be taken down by anit-air shit.

Why don't Russia and Ukraine strap on some fancy radar and add points onto old airliners and have them fly out to the edge of safe air space and shoot off their missile?

The only advantage of a proper fighter jet is it can fly lower and go faster. But even the Russians are not flying low, and Ukraine doesn't have the skilled pilots to fly low.

Airliners have cheap and good parts availability. I wouldn't be surprised in 6 months this is a thing.
>>
Everything you’re suggesting adds a shit ton of weight which will make something that’s already a fat slow target even worse. The missile flinging and diving low only works because it increases your missile range and helps keep you hidden from theirs.
>>
>>62527632
alright Ukraine has been waiting for f-16 for how long. So place a few hard points on an old airliner and have it lanch missiles over the horizon from 30,000 feet. Is the f-16 going to do something different?
>>
>>62527684
>Is the f-16 going to do something different?
yes: survive
>>
>>62527708
Can the f-16 outmaneuver missile?
>>
>>62527763
Yes. Russia is using old long range missiles which are designed to pick off slow unmaneuverable bombers. Fighters can generally evade them so long as the pilot realizes they are under attack in time. A fuck off huge airliner will not be able to do jack shit and will just explode.

This doesn't even just apply to shitty Russian missiles. See that audio clip of the Russian aircraft barely surviving a Patriot missile attack by going evasive. A large part of why fighters are still maneuverable in the age of missile trucks is because good maneuverability can save you against a missile that is at the edge of its range, because missiles don't have large wings and thus can't chase a hard turning aircraft without bleeding a huge amount of energy which they might not have to spare.
>>
File: missiles2.jpg (997 KB, 2710x4096)
997 KB
997 KB JPG
>>62527320
I found this image on my pc and it seems relevant
>>
>>62527320
do you think airliners are cheap? a new airliner costs hundreds of millions of dollars. they're huge
>>
russian SAMs are only really effective on passenger aircraft so this is a terrible plan
>>
>>62527890
Use old ones
>>
>>62527874
What munition is that? Looks modern but photo looks old.
>>
>>62528120
I have no idea but it looks like the AGM-86
>>
>>62527320
airliners are expensive to operate and far more expensive to operate as military aircraft than airliner
>>
>>62528001
It’s not cheap to retrofit old planes and add more life to the airframe

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.