[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: short long.jpg (199 KB, 1041x871)
199 KB
199 KB JPG
Which is more fun to shoot?

Like whats better, a softer recoiling .38 special round or a heaver recoiling .357 round? With a new revolver coming in I'm having doubts on buying .38 for being too soft to be enjoyable, but .357's price is off putting as well.
>>
Depends what you're shooting and out of what
Shooting paper and just training? Shoot .38, though it's important to pattern your carry ammo
Shooting something reactive like steel? .357 is way more fun, knocking plates off with my 6in is tons of fun
Got a snub nose? I'd say just shoot .38, you lose a lot of velocity out of that short barrel that a snubby .357 is more of a flashbang
>>
>>62533957
Sometimes a big ole bang that kicks hard as shit is fub, but most times plinking without much recoil is more fun
>>
>>62534020
This. .357 is very fun to shoot out of a full-size revolver. It's miserable to shoot out of an airweight snubnose.
>>
>>62534020
Heavier bullets lose less velocity because peak pressure is reached sooner while the bullet is barely leaving the chamber. With a longer barrel you still get expanding gasses to do more work on the base of the bullet, but the difference is smaller
So for example a 180XTP could travel 1300fps from a 3" and just make 1450fps in a 6". While a 110gr XTP may only do 1400fps in a 3", but 1700fps easily in a 6".
So the secret to snubs may just be soft, heavy bullets.
>>
>>62533957
357 out of a 6" is great
>>
>>62533957
If you want to do dumb cowboy shit like fan the hammer or quick draw, 38 is the way to go. If you want to have big bang 357 is the way to go. There's really no downside to buying a 357 and running 37 spl out of it aside from initial price. Also an excellent reason to start reloading.
>>
>>62534032
That's one of the great things about .357 revolvers. You can shoot the hot stuff if you want a big bang or you can load up .38 target loads and plink with hardly any recoil. To be fair you can do this with many revolvers, like if you have a .454 you can shoot .45 Long Colt or .45 Auto Rim for plinking but those are less economical than .38s
>>
>>62533957
Mid range .357s are the most fun IMO, the nuclear ones can be a bit much and if I wanted to shoot a low recoiling ""adequate"" round I'd just shoot 9mm for cheaper than .38.
>>
>want to shoot revolver in uspsa
>ALL commercial .38 target loads are below minimum power factor

theres absolutely no way this wasn't on purpose. the revolver rules in the uspsa handbook REEK of boomer metagaming.
>>
>>62533957
>get 357/38 lever action
>keep hearing people say 38 feels weak like a 22 in one
>buy 357 instead because I like the bit of kick
>>
>>62534080
This, but .38 is as well. It's like shooting a .22; there's basically zero recoil.
>>
>>62534205
It is. Especially with the allowance of greater than 6 shots, it made the competitive revolver market miniscule.
>>
Both serve their own purpose.
>>
357 can sometimes be too much, 38 special is usually not enough imo
>>
>>62533957
38 is weaker than 9, don't bother with it for a revolver.
>>
lgr doesn't like me using my 7.5" super redhawk in .454 at the pistol range anymore.

Pissing hot loads kept fucking up their targets.

You should get one, its such a fun caliber. Taurus, Freedom Arms, doesn't matter, just get a fuckhuge bullet and watch shit explode.
>>
>>62533957
.357 in a small-framed snubnose is uncomfortable. .357 in a medium-framed 3" or longer is fun.
.38 low-recoil handloads out of a snubnose are ridiculously fun. No recoil, just a small pop, and you can someumes literally see the bullet whizzing through the air
>>
>>62534403
uspsa is about practical shooting so why wouldn't they allow 8-shot revolvers? they allow stendos in CO
>>
>>62535313
8 cylinder is too uncommon, like how shooting production has magazine limits they should have cylinder limits
>>
>>62533957
Old thick real goncolo alvez wood grips on a model 27 with underwood loads is sex
.44 mag even more fun with a good pair of grips
>tl;dr recoil is more fun if there's no painful pite
>>
>>62535399

Dumping all six cylinders in succession on a big bore feels so fucking cool.
>>
File: Rug&Wesson.jpg (3.69 MB, 4320x2432)
3.69 MB
3.69 MB JPG
>>62533957
Firstly, get into reloading. Once you start reloading, .357 only costs maybe a 1 cent more per round in powder. As for what's "better", I would say .38 special. It's really soft out of a .357 revolver, but that doesn't mean it's weak, and you can work on speed drills with it. Personally, I almost never shoot or carry .357, and my .357 loads feel more like .38 +P+ than factory .357. I'm more of a fan of quicker follow-up shots than spicy loads.
>>
>>62533957
There's not enough difference to give a fuck about it. Unless you're a limp-wristed faggot. Eat some fucking Wheaties or something.
>>
>>62533957
Why doesn't there exist a .38 but with 357's powder blend? Its so odd that 38 is being deliberately kept underpowered because boomer "ids how it was 100 years ago, son" thinking
>>
>>62539601
Excepting the 38-44 N frames, the guns chambered in 38 special aren't made to withstand the pressures 357 magnum subjects them to.
In a 357 gun, you may run 38 spl +P+ to 357 pressures, but you get to develop the data which is walking in the dark.
>>
>>62539601
That's kinda what .38+P is, though it's not as powerful as .357. The reason for that ought to be obvious: A .38 cartridge with full .357 pressure would blow up and old revolver that wasn't designed for it. When people modernize revolver cartridges to make "magnum" versions of the old black powder ones they deliberately make them longer. This isn't so much about case capacity but is a safety thing to stop some dumbass putting that modern hot load in an old gun and blowing his hand off. .38 is being deliberately kept underpowered so people don't hurt themselves. Modern .38 is called 357. It's the same with .45 Colt: the modern high pressure version of that is .454 Casull, and likewise it is slightly longer so retards don't blow up their old guns with rounds too powerful for them.
>>
>>62533957
36 cal is fine for people outdoors you can move away from, 44 is for people in the same room and horses.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.