[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_8021.jpg (1.07 MB, 1112x826)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
What’s the point of building an amphibious assault ship when you can just build a mini carrier
>>
File: 1700126715784723.gif (2.02 MB, 500x391)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB GIF
>>62536833
>get btfo in other thread
>make a new one
why are you like this?
>>
>>62536849
QRD?
>>
>>62536858
see
>>62527533
>>
>>62536849
I didn’t even comment or see that thread. Plus, that thread is talking about building smaller carriers instead of big carriers. I want to talk about building smaller carriers instead of amphibious assault ships
>>
>>62536916
your idea is retarded flr all the same reasons and more, also learn to check the catalog retard
>>
>>62536833
because you want something to do amphibious landings with and you don't want a light carrier. i don't know why this would be hard to understand
>>
>>62536833
An amphibious assault ship is there to do amphibious operations, carriers just carry aircraft. Honestly now I'm imagining if the Nimitz class should be converted into giant amphibious assault ships once the Gerald R. Ford class is completed.
>>
File: 1573612826810.png (38 KB, 499x338)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>62536833
Flattop amphibs' main purpose is still to carry marines and get them ashore. This is fundamentally different than an aircraft carrier's purpose which is to operate aircraft. Optimizing for one role means being worse at the other. Having more room for berthing marines, carrying their shit, and for things like well decks means less space for aviation facilities, aviation fuel, and aviation stores and vice versa This is why amphibs and carriers are different types of ships.
Two different flattops with the same deck area and same displacement would look very different internally if one were optimized to be a light carrier and the other an amphibious assault ship. This remains true even for LHAs like the first two America class ships. The lack of a well deck does not make the difference in focus go a away.
>>
>>62536833
Because a light carrier is less effective at launching amphibious assaults. If you want something that can do light carrier duties and maybe launch an amphib assault, build a light carrier. If you want something to launch amphib assaults and maybe pull occasional duty as a light carrier, build an LHD/LHA.

For example, one big difference is whether you include a ramp or not. A dedicated light carrier should absolutely have a ramp. Launching aircraft from a flat deck without cats means launching them greatly underloaded when it comes to fuel (and potentially munitions too). This was a big problem when testing the lightning carrier concept with the Americas, the sortie rate was well below what it should've been because they were having to dedicate one in every so many planes to buddy-refueling duty. On the other hand, a ramp means less deck space for choppers.
There's also a substantial difference between a hull designed to carry ground vehicles, troops and their supplies (and fit a well deck) is internally different to one optimised to carry purely aircraft and their supplies.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.