[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/k/ - Weapons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 502_000001038_a8d2_2.jpg (118 KB, 500x380)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Which projectile would be more effective when it comes to personal protection with a .22?
>40 grain, all-lead hollow point
>28 grain, copper jacket
I guess it boils down to the old argument of fat-but-slow vs light-but-fast
The 28 grain copper jacket should most definitely have more penetration and as far as I know speed is a more important factor with smaller diameter bullets because of some math fuckery, but does it really make it better than a 40 grain all-lead bullet that's deforming, expanding and shredding upon impact?
>>
>>62540768
What barrel length?

>deforming, expanding and shredding upon impact
Even out of a rifle length barrel the plain lead bullets don't deform much. If you want them to fragment you need bullets designed to do that. I've never tried them in a pistol but out of a rifle the CCI "controlled fracturing hollow points" seem to perform about the same when shooting small game compared to normal hollowpoints so I don't think the fragmentation does much other than provide marketing wank.
>>
>>62540795
>What barrel length?
4 inches
>Even out of a rifle length barrel the plain lead bullets don't deform much.
I shot a few books for shits and giggles recently and the all-lead bullets were pressed flat, which almost doubled their surface area or fractured into several sharp fragments, while the copper plated ammo just zipped through.
Then again, I guess a book is not a good representation for how a projectile will act in a human body, since that one's softer, so maybe I just got a warped perception about the effectiveness of the heavier 40gr lead ammo?
>>
>>62540768
.22 is a shitty round for defense, when forced to use it for that you should focus on making it less bad, while understanding it'll never be a good choice. Never use HP in .22 for defense, they just don't penetrate adequately. You'll want a round nose load, heavier is better, you'll want the most reliable round you can get which is frequently a challenge as most .22 ammo is intended for plinking. The typical go to for this situation is going to be the CCI copper plated round nose 40 gr loads
>>
>>62540810
>I guess a book is not a good representation for how a projectile will act in a human body
It's not. I've recovered countless 22 projectiles from game, they will often mushroom and increase their surface area but fragments are rare unless you're talking hollowpoints, etc.

Anyway, out of a 4 inch barrel there is not much difference in velocity between the different bullet weights so I'd go with heavier bullets.
http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
>>
>>62540768
Don't get anything too expensive for personal protection, because once the jury gets your self-defense case they'll rule against you, get you arrested and cause all your weapons to be forfeit.
Even with 22LR for personal protection the self-defense cases aren't favorable, since anti-gun sentiment is so common.
>>
CCIs and Stingers are the best
>>
>>62540768
55 gr solid copper
>>
>>62543759
Oops, it was 50gr
>>
>>62540768
Federal punch has great penetration, and I have very good luck hunting with cci segmented hollow points. You don't get near as much penetration but the multiple wound channels give you a good chance of cutting something critical.
>>
>>62544384
I've had good experience hunting small game with the segmented HP's too. I'm not sure I would trust them for defense though. The fragments and the base of the bullet don't penetrate all that deep, it's plenty adequate for small game but I'd be very concerned abuot how well they'd perform with a human. I would lean towads the Punch.
>>
File: 604544671162__12934.jpg (261 KB, 1280x1280)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
>>62540768
I still think it should be heavier, 32-36 grain.
>>
>>62544384
My mom carries an LCR with punch. I shot it at some 2 liters, and it made it to the second one (didn't come out the back).
>>
>>62540768
None its terrible for self defense a woman in my state got murdered with her own gun after she shot her attacker and they managed to turn the gun around on her
>>
>>62540768
The rest of the thread has good commentary, take it into consideration & context. Whatever .22 you use, make sure it's the fastest available for whatever weight you're throwing. I would usually lean toward standard 40 gr bullets, but for self defense ... and, I do NOT recommend .22 for self defense, although it IS better than nothing by far ... I would look at 32-ish gr bullets, the fastest possible for whatever weapon I've got them loaded in. Soft points, semi-jacketed soft points, and even better if they are flat nose.

So, >>62544445 would be near the top of my list, except I wish those were semi-jacketed soft points rather than fully plated.

In other calibers, such as .357 mag, unjacketed wad cutters & semi-wad cutters do extensive damage, often more than many specialty self-defense rounds. I'm not familiar with .22 wad cutters, but I'd look into those if you can even find them anymore. Problem is, wad cutters are designed & optimized for punching clean holes in paper, so their velocity suffers for the relative load & bullet. You can get away with that when .38/.357 powder charges are pushing them, but I have my doubts with .22 LR.

Perhaps khajiit can interest honorable human with .22 mag ..? Because, picrel is what I have in my .22 when it's just sitting around the house as a backup to discourage future space doctor joggers when they come around at 2:00 am in the morning soliciting community college funding. It's like the #4 gun I'd reach for when the first 3 aren't immediately at hand. .22 is plenty lethal, but should never be the first option in your bag of tricks.

I know I said go for a lighter bullet, but this example pretty much minmax's the caliber against the weight (50 gr) and the maximum velocity you can reasonably expect. This is a case where the 50 grains would be traveling as fast or faster than any 40 grain and most 32 grain .22 LR, so I personally feel it's a solid compromise. I've never once had the hollow point fail on these, BTW.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.