[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1614.jpg (158 KB, 815x1000)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>I don't want to kill my friends, family, and teachers
>They'll all die eventually, and they'll reincarnate so it doesn't matter, it's your duty
Thanks Krishna, very profound
>>
It doesn't say that
>>
>>23302282
It's a difference I feel between the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. The Ramayana is basically an adventure novel (unironically akin to the Hobbit or LOTR in a way) while the Mahabharata is like ASOIAF.
>>
>>23302302
Not OP but I remember it kinda saying that
>>
File: ZErpQeH.jpg (61 KB, 1142x601)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>23302282
>Thanks Krishna, very profound
It really is, isn't it? Why cry about death when the soul is eternal and indestructible, and death merely a transition from one state to another?

>Do your duty as a warrior and shed these Anārya-n feelings.
>very based Krishna, thank you
>>
>>23302282
Realizing that you are only entitled to your actions, not their fruits, is quite profound, if you're actually willing to apply that to your life.
>>
>>23302306
>the Ramayana and the Mahabharata
The first is so superior I don't understand how the second ended up being the "main" sanskrit epic. It is absolutely dreadful as literature and the memegita doesn't elevate it. Then I remember it's jeets that did the selection and you just have to look at their general taste.
>>
>>23302282
>>I don't want to kill my friends, family, and teachers
>>They'll all die eventually, and they'll reincarnate so it doesn't matter, it's your duty
This is why hinduism is a joke and it's incompatible with spiritual movements, like jainism and buddhism.
>>
>>23302282
whats wrong with action without attachment? just do what you must and move on.
>>
>>23302672
Retard. Are you in 3rd grade?
>>
>>23302328
>and death merely a transition from one state to another?
Proof?
>>
>>23302302
That's pretty much what the first few chapters says. I found Krishna's initial arguments extremely unconvincing.

>>23302306
The power level stuff in the Mahabharata is laughably bad
>and Anandagiriguptagiva drew his bow Drupadaramagarandiradana which had the strength of five hundred thousand normal bows and he shot ten million arrows and killed ten million of the Pandavarandandaras
>>
>Old Testament: contains slavery, genocide, patriarchy etc.
>Enlightenment thinkers: fuck off, I don't believe in that shit.
>Bhagavad Gita: is just an extended religious/philosophical justification for mass murder and the caste system.
>Enlightenment thinkers: So true!
>>
>>23304024
no one:
literally no one:
big chungus:
harrison ford:
this anon:
me: lmao we did it reddit!
edit: thank you for the gold kind stranger! :)
>>
>>23304033
>no argument as usual
>>
>>23304033
Me when see keanu reeves wholesome r/chungusification
>>
>>23302328
Everything is atmav to brahmam to atmav to brahmam
>>
>>23304049
Kindly rope yourself for this comment and reincarnate into a cow.
>>
>>23302664
The Homeric epics are the distilled cream of the crop of an oral tradition; the Mahabharata is maximalist and religiously rather than artistically motivated. There are parts that shine nearly like Homer, but they are diamonds in the rough.
As for Ramayana, it's the nature sections that do it, not the adventure.
>>
>>23304200
>The Homeric epics are the distilled cream of the crop of an oral tradition; the Mahabharata is maximalist and religiously rather than artistically motivated. There are parts that shine nearly like Homer, but they are diamonds in the rough.
Based on what I've read about the textual history, it's both of those things, but definitely mostly the latter. Do you think Smith's abridgement does a good job of alleviating this problem?
>As for Ramayana, it's the nature sections that do it, not the adventure.
What would you say is the filler:good stuff ratio? I sampled the first couple cantos and the catalogue of virtues is obviously a snoozefest but some of the metaphors are real nice.
>>
>>23302302
It basically does. "I don't want to." "It's your duty because it's your duty. [I am the uncaused cause of everything.]"
>>
>>23304225
Most Hindu devotees only read the famous passages. You should too. There's reason to read all of Homer but there is no reason to read every sloka of the itihasas.
>>
>>23304251
>Most Hindu devotees only read the famous passages.
Tbf my reason for reading would be different from theirs. But yeah that's kinda what I suspected. Any good reading guides as to which parts specifically are worth reading?
>>
>>23304266
Have you heard a scene discussed? Then it's worth reading.
Have you not? Then no way. It's not arid like Mahabharata at parts but it's simply too long for a rational undertaking unless it's part of your religion.
Imo Ayodhya Kanda is the best part for Western tastes
>>
>>23304590
I think you're assuming I know more than I do, I have no particular knowledge of where one would go to see which episodes are or are not discussed. I have read a bit of MacDonell's History of Sanskrit Literature which does mention a couple things specifically, but are there other sources that would be useful to supplement that?
>>
>>23303689
>no one answered this guy
lol
>>
>>23302282
I read parts of it and I ended up with the impression that the good guys were actually the bad guys.
One of the "good guys" was a bully who drowned his cousins when they were kids.

Also
>In Sage Bharadwaja's ashram, his son Drona and Prince Drupada were educated. Drona and Drupada became best friends, and Drupada promises to share his wealth and kingdom with Drona when he becomes king.

>Ashamed of being unable to provide for his son due to his poverty, Drona remembers Drupada's promise. He went to Drupada's palace in hopes that Drupada would remember his promise and share his wealth with him. But Drupada, having grown vain, refused. He also insulted Drona by asking how a beggar could be his friend.

By the way, Drona is considered a villain and Drupada a good guy in the novel.
He was also killed by treachery and that was shown as a good example
>>
>>23303689
You must have a direct experience to get it, meditate or take 5 grams of shrooms
>>
>>23302282
If you assume the Hindu metaphysics, it actually is a profound conclusion, you saying it isn't is just question begging
>>
>>23303689
Energy
>>
>>23306196
If it's okay for Arjuna to kill everyone he cares about on the side of the Kauravas because they're all actually the immortal Atman, then why is killing ever not okay?
>>
>>23306674
fucking retard man. at least read the text before asking stupid questions like this
>>
>>23304024
A warrior being encouraged to fulfill his duty isn’t an endorsement of mass-murder. Slaying opposing soldiers who are fighting on the opposite side of an armed conflict isnt mass murder but its just everyday life for a soldier.
>>
>>23302282
>Would you still love me if I was a worm?
I get it now.
>>
>>23303689
Well, if it's eternal and indestructible then it has to go somewhere after death. It already got put into a body once, why can't it get in one again?
>>
>>23306674
Ignorance. Killing is just fine when done in a unignorant manner.
>>
>Anon forgets about karma
>>
>>23302649
Wealth and fame, he's ignored
Action is his reward
>>
so you make a good thing. it has to be something because it doesn't attract anyone when you just say it
>>
>>23304638
Different anon here, I agree that guy is assuming too much knowledge. The Ramayana isn't insanely long, it's manageable to read it all. Not so much the Mahabharata which has loads of digressions and didactic sections (for example the entirety of Book 12 is one long speech). I would read an abridged version if you're not sure. I like Arshia Sattar's version which is quite readable.
>>
>>23302282
>armies assembled
>hold up bro im finna lecture this weak bitch arjuna for a minute brb
>actually takes hours
>both armies afk for hours waiting for Dr K to wrap up his therapy session with lil arjey
>not once did it occure to the kauravs that maybe fighting someone with an avatar of literal god on their side isn't the best idea
>18 days later they predictably lose (oops)
>>
>>23306674
If you are a warrior and your brother is in opposite army , you can either kill him for that is your duty as soldier
The part you are referring to is not the justification but Krishina's attempt at comforting Arjuna by saying atleast they will reincarnate. That's like your battle buddy saying atleast he would go to heaven for full filling his duty as soldier
>>
>>23304024
Enlightenment thinkers didn't know about that, those texts received first translations in western languages in the closing years of the 18th century up to late 19th century which is pushing the time window. The gita had a first confidential edition in 1785 and that was one of the first texts.
In the enlightenment there were two dozen linguists over Europe that cared about Sanskrit and mostly for autismo grammar about reconstructing language history.
Outright pajeetbooism has fortunately always been a small phenomenon and had its heyday in the mid 19th century (Emerson, Thoreau, Schopenhauer) back when the sheer novelty might excuse it.
>>
>>23309463
Karna was son of Chariot driver,yet ruled over a kingdom.
he was not allowed entery in the compition to win Princess hand cause Princess herself did not open up the compition for everyone, she only allowed knights and kings were invited. Where is the caste system, are you saying a women can not have choice in who she wants to marry.
A soldier duty on the battlefield is to fight you are coward and traitor of you don't why would that translate to mass genocide.
I am convinced non of you have ever read the damn thing lol these all are dead giveaway.
>>
>>23309481
Wrong post linked?
>>
Damn now I wanna read it.
>>
>>23302328
What is heaven in Hinduism, I thought it's just you incarnate unless you go Buddhist and work on incarnating into nothingness.
>>
>>23307824
Ok, thank you.
>>
>>23309773
Hindus want to end rebirth too

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.