[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000012336.jpg (511 KB, 1118x1516)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
I need help trying to write in a 1890's style. Please post recommendations from that period or around that time frame, whether that be letters, notes, diaries, and books, or something stylistically inspired from that period. Preferably from a female perspective or from a female
>>
>>23311948
Henry James is the guy you're looking for.
>>
George Egerton
Ella D'Arcy
Ada Leverson
Natalie Clifford Barney
>>
Bump
>>
>>23311948
1890s style is a very broad thing. Generally the best way to go is to identify who you are writing for and your purposes and use that to guide you. For general lit fiction you would probably base it off well known female characters of the time period since that is the primary background for the era for readers of lit fiction, but it wold not work so well for historical fiction or a steam punk fantasy.
>>
>>23313567
Yeah, this is what I was planning to do. Finding a similar female literary character to match my "own" and use their style as a baseline.

If you're curious about why I'm asking for these recs. I'm trying to write a poor imitation of how a woman in that period would talk like. So, I need to know how to write in that style effectively so I can make a purposefully deranged attempt of it for my story.
>>
>>23311948
probably look into the kinds of they use grammar and syntax they use of the time period. I suggest looking into middlemarch
>>
I did this by reading a lot of old ghost stories—I wrote a gothic horror short story set in 1899 though I have no idea where to publish it
>>
>>23314679
Great idea. I'll check out Middlemarch and see if I can find some grammar books online. ty
>>23314690
One of my professors got her start by publishing her horror stories in small horror magazines. That might be a good avenue to look into.

Also, ty for the tip.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.