[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: pepe original.jpg (31 KB, 512x468)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
This entire board was just made to talk about Lolita, wasn't it?
It's just Lolita, isn't it?
>>
>>23312575
You're literally the only person on the entire board mentioning it right now.
>>
Pretty sure it was made to talk about sci-fi novels and nerd shit, like the rest of 4chan, but then the "real literature" people showed up for some reason.
>>
>>23313004
Kill yourself posthaste
>>
>>23313004
I'm nearly 30. I've spent most of my life watching anime, and TV shows and the only books I read were to get the source material of a film I thought I would enjoy.

This is a pretty terrible way to find books. Many anime are based on manga which in turn are based on light novels, which have all the dumb story of an anime with about as few as 9 pictures in the entire book, including the cover.
The writing usually doesn't sell itself well on its own.

I remember spending a few months reading a Star Trek book called "the first adventure" because i was obsessed with the idea of not even starting star trek until i could consume whole franchise chronologically. It was a shit book that doesnt have an ending. The book just stops.

Nhk and durara were comfy and
enders game 1 was insanely gripping, but enders game 2 (with the Portuguese church) was longer to get through and enders game 3 i didn't get past the first few chapters before i felt like i was reading a bunch of bullshit.

2001 a space odyssey was incredible and so was they sequel 2010, but i made the mistake of watching the movie 2010 halfway through, and now I'm so disgusted i can't finish the book.

MY POINT IN WRITING ALL THIS is that i was surprised how interesting I found the Illiad or the Old Testanent once I started reading them. Emile by Rooseau and Technology by Ellul were fascinating and very gripping and an experience I've seldom had with literature before, since i never tried to read anything truly great before and after recently reading Dune, i feel disgusted by science fiction in general and try to avoid anything written after 1900 unless its French or extremely practical.
>>
>>23312575
*Nietzsche
>>
File: IMG_3241.jpg (2.6 MB, 2886x3640)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
Not if I have any say in the matter
>>
>>23312575
Honestly this board doesn't talk about Lolita enough. Most people still don't understand it here and everywhere else.
>>
>>23312575
The board sticky has a picture from the Divine Comedy...
>>
A girl in college I talked to often once brought up Lolita and said that while she felt it was wrong for an older man like Humbert to see such a young girl this way, she was deeply touched by the way he described his love for her and felt very conflicted. What did she mean by this?
>>
>>23313716
Abandonment issues.
>>
>>23312575

Don't sell us short, OP. Believe it or not, we even have substantive discussions about Mein Kampf from time to time.
>>
>>23313152

I have always hated how that picture derives from the dullest part of the book-the very end.
>>
This board has longer, more in-depth, and more frequent threads about JK Rowling's tweets than it ever has about Lolita. /lit/ died years ago, dude.
>>
File: 1000014543.jpg (215 KB, 1080x1061)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>23314892
You're right and wrong. There's more shit threads before 2016. Heres the catalog 99% of the time, the same threads weekly on certain books (Lolita, Blood Meridian, Infinite Jest, etc), /pol/ threads, reacti9nary Twitter threads, threads that should be on /hist/, and than theirs a couple threads that come a couple times a week that are unique/high effort that get max 20 replies
>>
I got filtered by Nabokov
>>
>>23313040
You finally broke through the media/literature (blood/brain) barrier that most people will never be able to. For me it was reading Notes From Underground which was billed as le funny misanthropic 4chan doomer man book and not too long of a commitment to get through (ie surely if I can watch a 100+ episode anime I can read a 150 page book), and that in turn got me interested in Crime and Punishment, other Dostoevsky, other Russian lit, other 19th century authors, and then wanting to learn more and get more context about their history and lives which by the time that happens it’s basically over for you you’re in too deep to ever get back out. Reading always engenders more reading if you’re like me and want to always understand more and find more connections which are everywhere in the literary world you’ve basically got infinite entertainment, and now I haven’t seen an episode of an anime in years. It’s kind of like watching a movie and then wanting to read the source material or find out more “lore”, except the source material and lore here is the entire fucking history of human accomplishment
>>
Are the Library of America editions any good?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.