[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Red pill me on Diogenes. If he is still relevant to philosophy, why is he never mentioned here?
>>
>>23313597
Diogenes shitting on self important intellectuals was funny; but he reveals himself to be stupid at varying points too.
I'm paraphrasing, but he has some quote like this:
>where I see craftsmen, men of science, enterprise, etc, I see mankind
>where I see philosophers, preachers, myth makers, I see stupidity
Some shit like that. The idea being that only the practical, material arts matter, and the rest is bluster.
Most of it is bluster, but the parts that aren't are extremely vital.
So, definitely a funny guy, but an idiot nonetheless.
He's not mentioned because he didn't write much down, so there's not much to say beyond stories of him fucking with Plato.
>>
>>23313597
REDDIT GOLD FOT YOU STRANGEDR DIOGENES EPCIC UPVOTE IPVOTE UPVOTE. DID YOU KNOW THAT HE MASTURBATED IN PUBLIC? EPIC EPIC DPIC
>>
>>23313597
We don't actually know anything about him, that's why. It's all empty, and we don't even know if he was real or not, let alone if there was a man who did the things he is purported to have done. We know for sure, at least, that the whole story of him meeting Alexander is a complete fabrication. We have more proof the existence of Jesus than we do of Diogenes. Whether the verity of his existence matters is up to you to decide, because it is true that the anecdotes do have value in and of themselves.
>>
>>23313597
Well, this is a literature board and he didn't write anything. At least, nothing survived.
>>
>>23313624
>>where I see craftsmen, men of science, enterprise, etc, I see mankind
>>where I see philosophers, preachers, myth makers, I see stupidity

I like him even more now.
>>
>>23313597
>so there's not much to say beyond stories of him fucking with Plato.
Oh really, I forgot that Diogenes was the "Behold, Plato's human" guy. Do you remember if/where Plato mentions him?
>>23313626
Do redditors love him? Why?
>>
>>23313669
meant to reply to>>23313624
>>
>>23313669
Nah, I don't remember honestly. I'm not sure if I've ever read about him in any primary source. I feel like most of it is shit I've seen passed around online and back during school, in passing.
If I remember correctly, other Cynics developed the philosophy more and wrote more down. But writing it down probably would've defeated Diogenes' point: he didn't give a fuck
>>
>>23313643
This, the majority of what we hear about him comes from Diogenes Laërtius hundreds of years later, revealing more about the attitudes of the different philosophic schools towards each other than the actual philosophers. So everyone, not just Diogenes the Cynic, looks alternately badass or absurd, because the later stories are mostly exaggerated.
>>
>>23313597
He was just an ancient meme. Will chudjak be relevant in 2300 years?
>>
>>23313669
They love him because they have contempt for all ideas. They only think in terms of characters and authorities. Modern Diogenes would be a Vaush-like debater who spams his opponent with links to one study, claims to have won the debate, calls the opponent a chud, and logs off.
>>
>>23314014
modern Diogenes is on twitter with the name AnimeHitlerCunny3388 and he triggers blue checks
>>
>>23313597
Did they sculpt a cock and balls under that robe for him?
>>
Because he's too reddit
>>
>>23313643
Theres no more certain fact in ancient history than jesus life and death on the cross lol. Odd comparison. Even alexander the great is less certain than jesus
>>
What I'm curious about is the kind of satire associated with the Greek cynics. I've read Alice in Wonderland and Gulliver's Travels, but I can't imagine someone like Diogenes writing something like those stories. I kinda get it with Gulliver's Travels, but are there better examples of this kind of satire? I always felt like it would've been a scorched earth/blind judgement kind of thing.
>>
>>23313597
He’s the original shitposter. If you post here you should understand him by instinct.
>>
>>23314636
>Theres no more certain fact in ancient history than jesus life and death on the cross
Based retard
>>
>>23314970
You should read Lucian of Samosata. He was definitely working within the tradition of Menippean satire even if he necessarily wasn't a "pure" (whatever that's supposed to be) Cynic himself.
>>
>>23315523
This. His picture should've been on the pinned thread.
>>
>>23313669
>Oh really, I forgot that Diogenes was the "Behold, Plato's human" guy. Do you remember if/where Plato mentions him?
Plato doesn't mention him. In fact, that anecdote is doubly retarded, because it references a failed deduction in Plato's Statesman (which is obviously meant to fail, to prove a point). Anybody who uncritically parrots that anecdote is a proven illiterate plebeian in my book.
>>
>>23315641
Thank you for the suggestion, I was running through his works in Wikipedia and it sounds exactly like I was looking for. Interesting that he wrote a story considered to be the earliest version of science fiction. I'm going to give A True Story a go right now.
>>
>>23313624
He's right though

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.