[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Quaker Oats.png (145 KB, 337x277)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
Red pill me on the Quakers. Did they put more onus on a relationship with the Holy Spirit rather than reading the Bible or something?
>>
>>23313687
They're basically the Amish but with oats
>>
I went to a Quaker school and they have basically been entirely co-opted by Communists at this point. You have to understand though that Puritanism was a reaction against England's Norman Catholic aristocracy. Even in their pacifism they are at war.
>>
>>23313687
Pretty much but they tend to read the bible more than most in my experience. That relationship and ones faith is a very personal thing and they keep it that way. Quaker services are my favorite, room full of people sitting in quiet contemplation and occasionally saying something if they feel a need to share something with the congregation.
>>
>>23313687
They’re satanists
>>
>>23313687
Just look up what Quietism is.
>>
>>23313717
>Puritanism was a reaction against England's Norman Catholic aristocracy.
True. but aren't quakers and puritans two different things? My understanding is that both were operating in England during the Puritan movement. Is it accurate to say that quakers are an offshoot of puritans? Is it accurate to say all quakers are a type of puritan but not all puritans happen to be quakers?
>>
File: hqdefault (4).jpg (30 KB, 480x360)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
The quakers foretold the rise of their prophet.
>>
>>23313687
Every thing I know is from Moby Dick. Bildad and Peleg….scheming sailors out of their lay.
>>
>>23313717
You understand the Catholic Church in Britain predates the Norman conquest by 703 years. Arguably more Catholic Saints are from the Romano-Briton and Anglo-Saxon period then after. You could actually argue more so that the origins of the British reformation in the Anglican church stem from the aristocracy for geopolitical and hedonistic reasons. While Catholic demographics in the British Isles are traditionally routed in older native communities for example the rural North of England, the Gaelic speaking South and West of Ireland and the Highlands of Scotland.
>>
>>23313925
They are anon has no idea what he is talking about
>>
>>23313687
no, the other way around.
>>23313717
At the friends school I went to, they taught business, accounting and finance classes. But the sentiment you're describing is spot on.
>>
>>23313714
you're thikning of mennonite
>>
>>23313687
Eat your oatmeal; the rest is commentary.
>>
>>23313687
Being a Quaker is when you hunt whales.

The more whales you kill, the more of a Quaker you are

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.