[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: stoner john williams.jpg (158 KB, 1200x1920)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
Why didn't he kill edith and lomax? Could've solved 95% of his problems.
>>
File: pepe nervous sweating.jpg (7 KB, 250x230)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>23317603
guys i'm just joking but i really wanted to kill them for being assholes to stoner.
>>
>>23317603
That would be really mean
>>
is there really a nigga called lomax in this flick
what does he save trees or what
>>
>>23317603
It took him 20 years to figure out how to get his classes back on the menu, I think murder was a bit beyond him.

I don't think he hated Edith, I think he just fell out of love with her but figured he might as well just stayed married. She never loved him, it was just a way to escape her abusing father. At least he found real love for a time and that was enough for him.

>In his forty-third year William Stoner learned what others, much younger, had learned before him: that the person one loves at first is not the person one loves at last.

Genuinely one of my favorite books I own with some of the best prose and passages I've ever read. Williams was an excellent writer. The deaths and burials of his parents are so touching and that final chapter hit me like a ton of bricks, I was not expecting the description of cancer to be so hard hitting.
>>
>>23317603
Just finished this. Why was Lomax such a bastard man?
>>23318699
The prose is really interesting to me. Simple, but profound. Not even in an overall sort of way, like Hemingway, but I'd read a paragraph that seems pretty straightforward but then I'd go back and read it again realizing how beautifully it was written and how much it conveyed. The final chapters felt surreal and almost pyschedelic with the passing of time. Have you read any other williams?
>>
>>23318968
>Simple, but profound.
yes. I really love the style this novel is written in. it’s elegant.
>>
>>23317852
He fucks college boys and gets pissed off over nothing.
>>
>>23317603
He just loved those books so much
>>
>>23318968
not yet, I have butchers crossing on my shelf ready to read next once I finish my current book. Hoping for more of those beautiful paragraphs...
>>
>>23319461
So he is literary me plus sex
>>
>>23319461
neither of those are true

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.