[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.02 MB, 632x1000)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB PNG
Inferno seemed incredible to me, one of the best things I've ever read in my life, but this part is becoming extremely boring to me. I'm at Canto XVIII. Does it get better at any point?
>>
>>23318340
Eh, I liked how wholesome the encounters become, contrasting with the dark and gloomy inferno. Though if you don't like Purgatorio then you certainly will hate Paradiso, as it's even more complex and dry.
Still, you're in for the most kino moment in the poem. If you don't at least shed a tear after Purgatorio 30 then you're a subhuman and don't deserve to read it in the first place.
>>
>>23318340
I found Purgatory dry but Paradiso beautiful. Purgatory honestly isn’t too dry so much as just very repetitive. Each level of the Inferno, each realm of Paradiso, is unique and different from what came before it. Purgatorio is a big hill and every level is basically the same until the end. I still recommend finishing it
>>
File: 1711154620117379.png (103 KB, 208x281)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>23318340
I do not agree with much modern criticism, in greatly preferring the Inferno to the two other parts of the Divine Commedia. Such preference belongs, I imagine, to our general Byronism of taste, and is like to be a transient feeling. The Purgatorio and Paradiso, especially the former, one would almost say, is even more excellent than it. It is a noble thing that Purgatorio, "Mountain of Purification;" an emblem of the noblest conception of that age. If sin is so fatal, and Hell is and must be so rigorous, awful, yet in Repentance too is man purified; Repentance is the grand Christian act. It is beautiful how Dante works it out. The tremolar dell' onde, that "trembling" of the ocean-waves, under the first pure gleam of morning, dawning afar on the wandering Two, is as the type of an altered mood. Hope has now dawned; never-dying Hope, if in company still with heavy sorrow. The obscure sojourn of demons and reprobate is underfoot; a soft breathing of penitence mounts higher and higher, to the Throne of Mercy itself. "Pray for me," the denizens of that Mount of Pain all say to him. "Tell my Giovanna to pray for me," my daughter Giovanna; "I think her mother loves me no more!" They toil painfully up by that winding steep, "bent down like corbels of a building," some of them,—crushed together so "for the sin of pride;" yet nevertheless in years, in ages and aeons, they shall have reached the top, which is heaven's gate, and by Mercy shall have been admitted in. The joy too of all, when one has prevailed; the whole Mountain shakes with joy, and a psalm of praise rises, when one soul has perfected repentance and got its sin and misery left behind! I call all this a noble embodiment of a true noble thought.
>>
>>23318340
if you are having such an experience with Purgatorio - then you are doing something wrong my dear friend...

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.