[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: books.png (371 KB, 2174x1124)
371 KB
371 KB PNG
Thoughts?
>>
>>23318550
A lot of these make sense, even agatha christie is read in a lot of asian countries.
I assume a tale of two cities is mostly read in English speaking countries however, ive never heard someone talk about that one irl.
>>
>>23318550
there are a lot of people in asia, I guess
>>
>>23318550
All kino except for Harry Potter and the Alchemist. Surprisingly refreshing, given that the global population generally has abysmal taste in art.
>>
>>23318550
Fake.
>>
>>23318550
Chairman Mao's quotations should be on the very top of the totally factual list of best selling books, selling over 9 million copies. Someone should add it to the list with my citations.

Source:
https://www.keepbelieving.com/sermon/2006-03-08-what-chairman-mao-can-teach-us-about-spiritual-warfare/

https://upwards.blog/2016/01/03/why-the-bible-is-a-bestseller/

https://www.jstor.org/stable/30172913
>>
File: avi.png (17 KB, 90x67)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>23318588
*Over 900 million copies
>>
>>23318588
The list excludes "religious, ideological, philosophical or political" books, probably to avoid controversy.
>>
>>23318588
The Bible is in the several billions of copies sold.
>>
>>23318550
Surprisingly I've read 3 of them. I was expecting it to be all Danielle Steel.
>>
>>23318588
Wait. You linked to an article saying that The Bible is the most sold book. I don't know why you said Mao's Quotations should be at the very top.
>>
>>23318597
Then why does the list include Don Quixote (anti-papist), A Tale of Two Cities (British propaganda), The Alchemist (NRM), Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (anti-religious and anti-transgender), And Then There Were None (racist propaganda), Dream of the Red Chamber (reactionary propaganda), and The Hobbit? (political allegory)
>>
>>23318605
the hobbit and two harry potter books?
>>
>>23318611
These are fiction books, pal.
>>
>>23318607
>https://upwards.blog/2016/01/03/why-the-bible-is-a-bestseller/
"Other interesting comparisons include Mao’s book of quotations which has sold over 900 million copies in a comparatively short time, since 1966, and the Qur’an which became popular in recent years but there are big differences in the way these two books compare to the Bible."
>>
>>23318550
>Ten Little Niggers is the sixth best selling fiction book ever
who'd have thought?
>>
>>23318619
The list is most sold books, not fastest selling books.
>>
>>23318619
The list excludes "religious, ideological, philosophical or political" books.
>>23318618
1. That's not relevant. The first non-fiction book listed is Benjamin Spock's The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care (leftist propaganda)
2. Don Quixote is arguably not a fiction either.
>>
>>23318635
>2. Don Quixote is arguably not a fiction either.
It's very much fiction, schizo.
>>
>>23318628
That's not relevant. If the book is selling 900 million copies in a comparitively short time it has already outsold all of the books listed on Wikipedia's (a total mess of an encyclopedia, not authoritative, & needs to be permanently erased) list of best-selling books.
>>
>>23318643
You said it should be at the very top, but The Bible sold more books.
>>
>>23318646
Yes, that's my opinion. I don't expect Wikipedia to put the bible at the top of anything. I can see that we have many wikipedia editors itt. You will snipe at anything, any chance to bring the bible down, and bring truth and beauty down with it!
>>23318639
There's nothing in Don Quixote to suggest it's fiction, and it's one of those odd books where self-inserting into the text can start to bend the rules of fiction and non-fiction, biography and autobiography.
>>
>>23318661
>There's nothing in Don Quixote to suggest it's fiction, and it's one of those odd books where self-inserting into the text can start to bend the rules of fiction and non-fiction, biography and autobiography.
Never go full retard.
>>
>>23318661
>There's nothing in Don Quixote to suggest it's fiction
It's a book deliberately written about someone who is known to never have existed doing things that are known to never have occurred. Where is the confusion here, exactly?
>>
>>23318667
Ad hominem.
>>23318672
Where does it say that exactly?
>>
>>23318676
>Where does it say that exactly?
This is the most fucking frustrating thing in the world because I know the book is fiction but I don't know how to prove it. Fuck you and your mind games, anon
>>
>>23318643
>>23318646
https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books
>>
>>23318700
You are beginning to see.
>>23318707
>https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books
Why did Don Quixote slip out of reality in this one? Perhaps because it's not actually a book at all??
>>
>>23318676
>>2331870
By that logic most fiction books are actually non-fiction because "it doesn't say in the text it's fiction". But Cervantes clearly says in the prologue that it's a story from his wit, created in jail:
>So, what could a sterile and ill-cultivated talent such as mine engender, if not the story of a dry, shriveled-up, unpredictable child, who was filled with thoughts never-before imagined by anyone else—such a book as one might dream up while in jail, where all discomfort is to be found, and where all lugubrious sounds dwell?
>>
>>23318715
>Why did Don Quixote slip out of reality in this one? Perhaps because it's not actually a book at all??
Because of Anglo-centric bias and anti-Spanish black legend
>>
>>23318727
Read the rest of the prologue. Don Quixote was a real knight known to the inhabitants of La Mancha; it says so in the last paragraph of the prologue. Of course the author will embellish some parts, but the book is mainly true.
>>
>>23318761
No, Cervantes refers to him as his child (i.e. his creation). He's being affectionate, not literal, and his talking about the story of the book, not about reality.
>>
>>23318611
I’m trans btw
>>
>>23318771
Read the rest of the prologue and stop using it as machine gun pellets against me as soon as you find a new one to use. I pray to God to give you patience. Cervantes refers to himself as only the stepfather of the book. He's being literal, not affectionate; We are talking about literature, not embellishment, which Dr. Quixote explicitly rejects in the prologue.
>>23318776
Ad hominem, but a suitable user space for most of the Wikipedia editors itt. >>23318563 (not you)
>>
>>23318550
Ok, I'm bored now, and this list is boring. Peace out.
>>
>>23318792
>Read the rest of the prologue and stop using it as machine gun pellets against me as soon as you find a new one to use.
No need. Cervantes killed DQ so no one would write more fake adventures about him. It is a fictional creation.
>Cervantes refers to himself as only the stepfather of the book. He's being literal, not affectionate
He's being affectionate. He says he's the stepfather of Don Quixote because as much as you want a book to be 100% what's in your head, there will always be flaws.
>We are talking about literature, not embellishment, which Dr. Quixote explicitly rejects in the prologue.
Non-fiction isn't literature. If DQ wasn't fiction, which it is, it wouldn't be literature.
>>
>>23318661
Nice bait retard
>>
>>23318707
There's no way that the Quran is only 800 million. Not even mentioning its millennium-plus history, there are more than a billion Muslims in the modern day, and almost all of them have at least 2 to 3 copies of the Quran. It should be over 2 billion.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.