[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0536.jpg (1.22 MB, 1290x1243)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Seriously. Should I read it? Honest opinion.
>>
>>23318665
Honestly? it's the best novel ever written in English.
>>
Kill yourself, faggot! Am I doing it right?
>>
>>23318665
One of the best novels of all time. Without question.
>>
>>23318665
unsurpassed in prose and symbolism
>>
>>23318665
I didnt like it and i really wanted to like it
>>
>>23318688
Yes, but next time use more confidence. Like so:

>>23318665
KILL YOURSELF, OP, YOU TURBO-FAGGOT FUCK BOY DILLETANTE! THERE IS A MOBY DICK THREAD EVERY FUCKING DAY! ARE YOU TELLING ME YOUR LAZY ASS HAS NEVER LURKED IN A SINGLE FUCKING ONE!? I. DON'T. BELIEVE. YOUR. FAGGOT. ASS.
>>
>>23318665
I really like it, it's very inventive and surprisingly funny. It changes mood focus drastically chapter to chapter, but somehow stays coherent. I even like the whale autism, it's interesting to me. If you get past chapter 9 and don't like it, it's probably not for you. Not everyone likes everything, it's okay
>>
>>23318665
Reading this book made me realize there are good and bad books. This is a really really good book.
>>
>>23318665
Yes, it is actually quite good, though if I'm honest I'm not sure I could tell you why. Certainly very comfy. I don't actually care much about the symbolism, as obvious as it is.
>>
>>23318665
Yes. Great book. Read Pierre afterwards if you end up liking it.
>>
Does anyone know where I can find that 4chan Commentary version? I want to make sure I am properly informed on the intricacies of this pre-modern classic.
>>
>>23318670
>>23318696
>>23318705
>>23318924
yanks ...
>>
>>23318665
Started reading it, chapter 22 now. I find myself looking up words a lot. I was baptized and got some Christian influence here and there while growing up but not sure whether I get all the references to the Bible. There was this one sentence I looked up to get some interpretations online and was happy I did. There are also referenced some old biblical cities, sites and non-biblical as well that I had to look up. I end up browsing Wikipedia here and there instead of actually reading.

But even though I’m only slowly progressing I enjoy it very much. When I get into the flow of the language it makes me feel almost high or whatever. Elevated is a better term probably. I happened to chuckle quite a bit here and there, it’s a mix of feelings already really.

I’m not even that familiar with the story at all besides knowing the adaptations/parodies in SpongeBob of course. I didn’t know for example that the main character and the captain aren’t the same person. But so far the book got me hooked to find out what conclusions Ishmael will make after all of his experiences. At the core the questions the book raises are themes in everyone’s life and the hardest to tackle for an author probably.
I always struggle with thinking I‘ll find luck only elsewhere and looking for the biggest fish so I will take my time with this book and try to let it sink in.
The bulk of the book actually makes it feel like my own journey, starting with some thought provoking situations here and there, leading you to a direction but still gives you time to digest before the hard hitting revelations come to you.

It also made me want to read the Bible.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.