[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Borges on English.webm (3.08 MB, 608x1080)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB WEBM
>>
UN ANGLO ARGENTO,

CON MÁS PLUMA QUE MUSA:

ESE ES BOBORGES.

« 零 »
>>
>>23319110
>self-hating snob travels out of his country
>proceeds to shit on his culture
Many such cases. Sad!
>>
>>23319110
1.English has a Germanic base, but it also incorporates an amount of Latin vocabulary. It's not "both Germanic and Latin". It's Germanic.
2. Synonyms exist in every language, yes, that's not special.
3. All the rest is pretentious autism from a man who, if you read his English writing, couldn't write literary English.
>>
>>23319110
Interesting. I'll keep it in mind. Also, lol Mexican tripfag is seething.
>>
>>23319147
>he doesn't know Cumgenius' catchphrases
>>
>>23319149
>simping for a pseud pedo attention whore nobody
>>
File: British Empire.png (381 KB, 1200x610)
381 KB
381 KB PNG
>>23319132
Neologisms.
It's not that the nature of the English language lent itself to this effect, but the culture around English that meta-linguistically did through global imperialism. English had to adapt as a global lingua franca to incorporate the totality of human abstract ideas/concepts to serve the cultural empire. Thus the language that is most flexible to human thought is the one that heuristically can best generate new thoughts & ideas (neologisms).
Spanish (and Portuguese(/Latin by extension) is close >>23319147 but is second banana to English's historically Empirical reach
(I'm not a rabid Anglophile, just trying to objectively understand "Why English?")
>>
>>23319110
Japanese has the same thing, doesn't it? The more traditioanl Kanji language, Katakana language for borrowed words, and Hirokima language for in-between. It also has a more seasoned system of honorifics and social tones, doesn't it? So according to Borges logic he should be reading in Japanese, no?
>>
>>23319263
Scope.
The extent of the Japanese Empire splashed on the shores of the Russian Empire covering China and Korea leaving it relatively endemic in East Asia rather than a global pandemic linguistically.
Heuristically, I believe we have been using Imperial Linguistics to gauge the efficacy and historical significance of Historical Empires.
(e.g. Roman Latin has left its indelible mark).

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.