[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 381008_r30815.jpg (940 KB, 2560x2450)
940 KB
940 KB JPG
> 928. Orson Welles: "Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn."
> Why? Because your style is who you are. Ergo, supreme self-confidence is a prerequisite for true style, because if you lack that you will give a damn, and therefore unfailingly seek to make up the confidence shortfall by emulating the style of others, thus obscuring your true style. Properly speaking, you won't even have a style, since you won't even have had an opportunity to develop it. And that's what the channers mean by "NPC".
Well, were they right, /lit/?
>>
>>23320168
Yeah confidence is important but if you're just some arrogant prick who never spends time reading other writers and nitpicking over your own style to perfect it you'll just put out garbage. I guess being a film director its a lot easier to just passively see other films and start using those techniques without actually being aware you are influenced by them unlike literature which takes more active attempts at cultivating your style. Basically Welles is a director who has no understanding of literature but thinks he does.

see: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7594774/
>>
>>23320168
>Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn.
Google tells me that this was authored by Gore Vidal

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.