[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: th-2323432000.jpg (37 KB, 474x538)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
What should I read before Edith Stein and Gabriel Marcel? Like Kant, Hegel etc... is that necessary?

I'm taking the Start with the Greeks approach -- so far, I've read the presocratics, some plato and aristotle, and some of the early church fathers but nothing modern at all.

I intend to read everything in between eventually but I'd like to take a break and go off on a tangent for a few months.
>>
>>23323088
>>
File: 1648654579288.jpg (103 KB, 640x652)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>23323088
Maurice Blondel is absolutely essential.
>>
File: MacIntyre.jpg (67 KB, 549x683)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>23323092
I didn't know MacIntyre wrote about Stein, that's pretty cool.
>>
>>23323088
The three H's (Hegel, Husserl, Heidegger)
You'll have a better grasp afterwards of Stein, Marcel, and most recently Marion. The phenomenologists in general have been opened to interpretation by continental Catholic philosophers everywhere today.

Heidegger thought though becomes the greater point of contention; the question of Being is brought up all the time in modern Catholic (metaphysical) philosophy, which I think preserves John 1:1, logos as God.
>>
>>23323088
Why do you want to read the moderns? Wouldn't it be better to read the Doctors of the Church after reading the Greeks? Are you in it to be a better Christian or for Academic reasons?
>>
Anscombe
>>
>>23324589
They should read Max Scheler instead. And are you really claiming Heidegger's deconstruction of western metaphysics as in line with John? Heidegger is clearly a giga-atheist. That said, he did revert back to Catholicism at the end of his life.
>>
>>23324812
Heidegger was a polytheist
>>
>>23324251
Where should I start with Blondel?
>>
>>23324651
The works of the Doctors of the Church are on my reading list. However, I'm also interested in Catholic thought today and how it differs from Thomism, which I understand to be the dominant current of theological understanding in the Church for centuries.

I'm reading for my own interest and also to become a better Christian so I guess for both reasons but ofc the latter would take precedence.
>>
>>23324873
Care to post a quotation?
>>
>>23323088
>>23323092
I gifted my mom an Edith Stein book for Christmas

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.