[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_8344.jpg (2.62 MB, 3996x3024)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
This is the library on my wagecage ship. Since nobody here reads, what books do I steal?
>>
>>23324368
John Grisham front and center
>>
the twilight books, they're hardcover so you could get a quick buck reselling them, maybe also the GRRM books
>>
A literal ship? I've always thought working on a ship must be comfy, but then I remember drowning is one of the worst ways you can go

Also >>23324384 beat me to the answer to your question
>>
What a pile of shit. Just burn them and burn the damned ship.
>>
>>23324368
Mysterious Benedict Society is probably the best book on that shelf
>>
>>23324391
I wouldn’t say it’s comfy. But as a third mate I’ve been making six figures with a union gig ever since I graduated college at 22. And I make that six figures working only half the year. Best of all, you can advance as much as you want and be a captain or a pilot by late 20s, if you have a work ethic. And then you can be banking 250k working half the year
Some jobs have fun missions, others are hard. Tankers are what I’m on right now and they aren’t fun but the money is sweet
>>
>>23324537
how do i get one of these jobs? do i need to know a trade?
>>
>>23324541
You need testosterone.
>>
>>23324537
I like dudes…is it a good place to meet men. I have visions of Moby Dick but don’t want to leave like Hart Crane.
>>
>>23324537
i thought sailors got paid like shit. glad you are doing well buddy
>>
>>23324541
You need to join the merchant marines. OP is probably larping, the union jobs on ships don't pay that well and you can not be captain without being in the merchant marines, not even pilot. He could be outside the US but really talks like a burger, maybe Canada, I don't recall the details of Canada's shipping off the top of my head but I think they are more strict than the US when it comes to piloting/captaining. The few Canadian captains I know are ex navy.

In the US the non merchant marine jobs on ship are grunt work, hired labor that anyone can do, just show up at the office and wait for your name to be called.
>>
File: IMG_8359.jpg (423 KB, 2000x1000)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
>>23324541
Are you a burger? The easiest way is either paying to go to a maritime college and graduate after 4 years with an Officer’s license (pros being easy and having your hand held the entire way, cons being it costs money and college is a scam), or go apply to Military Sealift Command as work as an unlicensed civilian on navy supply ships (pros being you will see all corners of the globe and not work very hard and be able to drink a lot in port and get super fucked up, cons being you’ll sail out for super long periods of time and not know when you’re coming home, as well as working with inner city double digit IQ negroes who are there to just to fill a billet number on an excel sheet). Or if you live near any of the Great Lakes or large rivers in America you can go try and hop on a tug or towboat. But inland unlicensed are worked like animals and paid shit wages.
Go to /n/ and look at the Maritime general, their sticky has a guide for burgers and europoors trying to enter the industry.
>>23324628
I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone working on at sea who has been normal, and I mean that in the best of ways. There are psychos and freaks, but also salty fuckers with integrity and in depth knowledge of the oceans and sailing
>>23324638
Third worlders get paid like shit, unlicensed start off getting paid like shit (but eventually can make as much as a licensed officer in some cases), inland tugs and towboaters get paid like shit, and cruise fucks get paid like shit.
But if you have an IQ above your body temperature, you can easily succeed out here and take home enough to support your family and your Filipino bastards and mistresses
Picrel is a poorly drawn itoddler map of places I’ve sailed to and through in the few years I’ve been doing this
Guam, Japan, Singapore, Italy, Spain, Scotland, Iceland, the Azores, Panama Canal, all along the east coast and gulf and west coast, and pretty much all of the Mississippi River and it’s tributaries. Good way to see a bit of the world and get paid while doing so
>>
>>23324719
>You need to join the merchant marines
Negro, what exactly do you think joining the merchant marines entails? It’s basically just getting a coast guard physical (less than an hour in and out), and then applying for a TWIC card and MMC.
>union jobs on ships doing pay well
Get your Tankerman PIC, lazybones
>>
>>23324737
>It’s basically just getting a coast guard physical (less than an hour in and out), and then applying for a TWIC card and MMC.
That is all it is if you don't actually want to work on ship beyond the level of laborer. Bare minimum of a two year apprenticeship but if you don't go to the academy or a suitable school advancement will be slow.
>>
>>23324721
>tfw didn't discover this was even an option until a couple years after I graduated
Wish I had done this instead of getting a degree in economics and getting stuck doing exceljockey work the rest of my life.
>>
>>23324790
If you’re unlicensed deck or engine literally all you need to do is go MSC, have them pay for your classes and training, sail until you get the sea time you need for the license you want, and quit for a different company
>>23324796
If it makes you feel better, a lot time out here is spent crafting massive excel sheets to plug and chug voyage planning math
>>
>>23324822
Sure, that works as well, as does a stint in the navy or cg, i did not list all possible paths and was making the point that there is more to it. If you are not larping you knew this.
>>
>>23324936
Aspergers-kun, you’re moving the goalpost. Before I was a larper because I didn’t specify I was in the merchant marines (a nothingburger organization). Now I’m a larper because I didn’t list out every possible path into the industry?
>>
>>23324944
You either have terrible comprehension or are playing games.
>>
>>23324537
You make that much money, explore the world, and are on vacation for half the year. How are you in a wagecage?
>>
>>23325024
He probably makes like 35k and first year out. An experienced captain will make around 120k, 3rd mate unlikely unless he is staying out year round. One quirk of the job is if your ship goes active duty (merchant marines are government) your paycheck comes from uncle sam instead of the private sector, generally means a massive pay cut.
>>
>>23324368
Every single one of those books is shit
>>
>>23324368
Since you're making "six figures", don't steal the water-damaged and bent-spined paperbacks.
Read first one of the G.R.R. Martin on the left to see if that tickles your fancy: if not, search behind them for better Science Fiction / Fantasy.
Do NOT touch the Clive Cussler shit.
>>
Joe by Larry Brown is good if you like Southern Gothic. Didn’t see anything else worthwhile. If there’s anymore Brown in there I’d nab it.
>>
I see children of dune so maybe there are the others and something by frederick forsyth.
>>
File: IMG_8366.jpg (483 KB, 828x941)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
>>23325024
>>23325086
Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I make 120k working half the year as a third mate on a tanker.
I don’t know why this assblasted ESL thinks I’m larping.
Look, here are the salaries of mates at MSC. These third mates are expected to work 3/4ths (or more) of the year due to manning issues, clocking into about what a bit less than what I make working half the year.
Even the LOWEST paying third mate jobs like working as a mate on an American cruise line like AQV will still have you making about 350 a day.
This guy probably is Indian or some other ESL and thinks my American wages are comparable to his.
>>
File: IMG_8367.jpg (412 KB, 828x1403)
412 KB
412 KB JPG
>>23325526
And here’s what plebbitors have to say about it.
>>
>>23324368
I thought getting a shit job would be cool, get to travel around the world and get paid but I found out apparently the pay is awful and you are just stuck on a boast most of the time, barely any time visiting different locations.
>>
>>23325543
You thought getting a shit job would be cool?
>>
>>23324721
>Are you a burger?
yes, I am a burger. I actually have a 100% rating for TBI & a bunch of other things. I used to be an infantryman. This is the first time I'm learning about Military Sealift Command. Will they take me?
>>
>>23325553
I meant to say ship job. I didn't intend to sound like a mentally underdeveloped teenager.
>>
File: .png (13 KB, 379x142)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>23324368
>nobody here reads
what do the crew do then? I imagine they don't get decent internet there.
>>
>>23325649
>sound like a mentally underdeveloped teenager
How else am I supposed to spot a fellow deck chad?
>>
>>23325631
MSC takes everyone, if you already have shit like that then maybe you could apply for a shoreside job or a damage control officer position
But even if you don’t, MSC takes anyone at a starting level position. Wiper, Ordinary Seaman, and Supply Utilityman. All which pay like shit but have room for advancement
>>23325676
We actually have starlink. But before that everyone smoked and gambled
>>
>>23326176
well, since you're here, do you also get a lot of free time? depending on how much space and privacy you get, it could be the best place for some hobbies.
>>
>>23326276
I get almost no free time at all. But I don’t mind since I’m home and doing whatever I want half the year
>>
>>23326365
i hope pirates board your ship and sell the entire crew into slavery
>>
>>23327094
Actually one time our ship was high upon the sea when pirates came along, but the soldiers on our merchant ship were full five hundred strong. They fired their guns and so they drove that pirate ship away, but I'd rather joined that pirate ship than sailed for Botany Bay.
>>
>>23324368
If you can find it, it’s “I Am A Faggot” written by OP.
>>
>>23327131
kek'd. bz
>>
>all those niggas saying it's a sweet job
OP is also stuck on a ship half the year. Regular wagies get get more free hours.
>>
>>23327969
>having to wagetrek to and fro from work every day
>having to make your own meals
>having to do all those pesky shores like dishes and sweeping
I wake up, brush my teeth, walk up a flight of stairs, and I’m at work.
I usually work twelve hours a day, throw away 8 for sleep and one for meals and a shower, and I get three hours of me time a day. Which is by no means a lot. But that for half the year and then half the year of pure paid Neetliving beats wagie getting back from work at 6:30, doing his supper and dishes, getting two hours before he passes out from smoking weed to take away the pain of the wageprison
Also some ships are laid back and I get to go out and fuck Asian hookers, only perk of MSC

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.