[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: schwenk.png (741 KB, 675x924)
741 KB
741 KB PNG
>considered a hack and a fraud in his own day
>his downfall was predicted and awaited with relish by Ibsen, Wilde, Woolf, and many other writers and dramatists
>hated almost all professional writers and poets, preferred the company of businessmen
>died the equivalent of a billionaire
>is still widely read and performed today.
>his librettos and his collection of poems (Bab Ballads) have never been out of print.
>a critical re-appraisal at the turn of the last century has only improved his posthumous reputation.
Gilbert-chads, I kneel.
>>
>>23324958
>hated almost all professional writers and poets, preferred the company of businessmen
Why? Years ago I would have been seething at this. Now I get it.
>>
>>23324994
When they rejected him and generally treated him like shit, he stopped seeking their approval and instead took to London clubland and Tory high society.
>>
it's unlikely that Ibsen would have mentioned Gilbert. They moved in different literary circles and focused on different styles of drama—realistic and social critique for Ibsen, and comedic and satirical operas for Gilbert
>>
>>23325266
AHEM, based.
>>
>>23325286
He was aware of Gilbert and Sullivan. It was huge cultural phenomenon. This would like trying to argue that Scorsese isn’t away of Marvel Movies.
>>
>>23324958
>slopmaxxing
People will try to posthumously rehabilitate JK Rowlings as a great writer (unless trannies win).
>>
>>23325508
Kys.
https://youtu.be/rP2qJXT3olM?si=V5OYKamHn9Gs37DV

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.