[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>Plato, and all other ancient authors, supposedly had opinions not in line with liberal democracy.
>BUT this is only because they would've been persecuted if they stated their true opinions, and we can tell what their true opinions were by esoteric reading.
>Now how do we do this? I'll just invent whatever I want them to be saying and you'll listen to me. So yes, Plato was a liberal democrat.
lmfao how did this dude convince anyone
>>
You sound mad
>>
>>23328283
Go ahead and quote exactly where Strauss says Plato is a liberal democrat. Book/essay and page number.
>>
>>23328367
No, I don't feel like it.
>>
>>23328519
No! You have to give me a specific line that totally encapsulates what you've said. You can't just discuss ideas, you can only pass quotes around! Now give me the quote!
>>
>>23328519
>>23328524
>i can't prove muh feelz so i'll just lie by false generalization, then if you call me on it, i'll bitch about you being a pedant
>>
>>23328283
If that’s not the case then where did it begin? Liberal democracy had to begin somewhere. I’m definitely not saying it began with Plato at but someone had to secretly think, “gee, having slaves might be a bad idea”
>>
Honestly, I don't get the idea that Strauss is a big fan of liberal democracy. I don't think there's another "mainstream" academic who gets closer to straddling the line between approved thought and entertaining extremism than him. I can't think of a bigger 20th century pipeline for conservative to far right metapolitics than him.
>>
>>23328367
But he's right though. Strauss literally made philosophy as a Jewish cult in which every philosopher has a boner for "free society" but remains silence like a crypto-jew.
>>
>>23330119
>someone had to secretly think, “gee, having slaves might be a bad idea”
It sure as fuck wasn't Plato.
But it's common in some traditions to see Plato, and Christ, as seeding the liberal democratic order because they both appealed to the eternal transcendent Idea, Plato through his Forms, and Christ for obvious reasons.
Plato argued explicitly against democracy and was pro-slavery but the idea of "progress toward the Good" is embedded in Platonism, and there's the stench of that in everything from Christianity to the Enlightenment to Hegel to Marx to the orthodoxy of today. Almost the whole of Western thought minus a few critics.
>>
>>23330189
If you’re arguing against Christianity you’re barking up the wrong tree
>>
>>23330189
It's incredible how stupid the posters here are.
>>
>>23330189
Plato also hated tyrants so...
>>
>>23328880
who are (you) quoting?
>>
>>23330136
No he didn't, his teaching about Plato is that Plato approved of closedness, i.e., illiberality
>>
>>23330269
It's not even a controversial statement. Try reading a book
>>23330272
No he didn't. He hated not being in charge
>>
>>23330249
I didn't argue anything. I brought up a perspective shared by many people throughout the history of western thought.
>>
>>23330639
Get the fuck out Alamariu
>>
>>23330643
Whatever the case may be, Christianity doesn’t explicitly condemn slavery either, not sure what kind of point you’re trying to make here.
>>
>>23330735
It doesn't, but Christianity contains the seed that renders slavery unintelligible if you follow it to its conclusion: all men are loved before God, and God is through Truth.
And then we got "all men are created equal with inalienable God-given rights." It's one thought playing itself out long term.
>>
>>23330775
Depends on the denomination. Calvinism doesn’t preach this, considering it considers some people fit for salvation and others for condemnation
>>
>>23330795
I find dogmatism to be insane, but those are just reactions to the core Thought that drives the whole culture.
I'm going based purely off of the original words. So are calvinists, they've just a different point of view. But the Calvinist approach is hardly the main one. The main Christian approach, the one that underpins the western culture, is one of repentance, redemption and progress.
>>
>>23330815
>I find dogmatism to be insane
None of which is unique to religion, many secular institutions can be equally dogmatic.
>>
>>23330829
I never said otherwise. Doesn't change my points
>>
>>23330815
>progress
Uh?
Aren't you confusing Christianity with modern liberalism?
>>
>Noooo you can't just read the greatest writer of all time by looking at his form and how the action of argument develops. You have to take every speech and statement as something to be agreed with or disagreed with divorced from both context and artistry I'm going insaaaannnne
>>
>>23331098
No I'm directly saying there's a reason they sprang up in the same cultural mileui and history. They're tied at the hip in terms of thought.
>>
>>23328880
/lit/ in a nutshell
>>
>>23328283
his theory is just common sense. given all the political pressures of history, how would there NOT be esoteric elements to all of those writings? It's such a simple idea that one could even say that only the obstinate stupidity peculiar to the anglo civilization that even makes this argument necessary.
>>
>Plato was just trolling bro, he totally didn't believe in transcendental realities, gods, spirits, and all the wacky stuff that goes against the materialistic conceits of modernity
>all that form shit? everything that seems slightly otherworldly? that was all just a thought experiment, bro
>it's just to make you "think" [... my modern libtard brain rot, instead, actually]

https://youtu.be/xQXK-BMLgmc
>>
>>23331156
>t. mad that he got attached to discardable surface readings which were apparent as such to others on the first reading
I bet you thought you were real smart for totally getting Plato lmao
>>
>>23330795
yet Calvinist descendants of Puritans were the most fanatical abolitionists
>>
>>23331149
Yeah the idea that Plato and others had an esoteric side is obvious but Strauss taking their "esoteric arguments" to just be libtardism is retarded
>>
>>23331156
Kek still shilling your garbo channel?
>>
>>23331194
You keep insisting this but refuse to show it. Where, where does Strauss do this? Or did you just imagine it while reading Gottfried?
>>
>>23331162
>the 'deep' understanding is actually... it's uh... it's... hmm.. uhhhhh
>>
>>23328880
Welcome to /lit/
>>
File: IMG_3578.jpg (164 KB, 1280x960)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
>>23330272
Plato argued that liberal democracy was the direct cause of tyrants. Did you read the book?
>>
>>23331350
BAPoid probably, reading carefully is kinda not their thing
>>
>>23330901
You pointed out that Christianity contains the seed that renders slavery unintelligible which if that was the case, then Aquinas was just spouting bullshit. Weird considering he’s the primary philosopher associated with the Roman church, the largest Christian institution. That seed you speak of was not revealed until after the Roman church lost its power in the west during the Age of Enlightenment, when the idea of God being an all knowing, all seeing being was starting to be viewed as a silly superstition. It may contain the seed but it’s not the orthodox position of the church.
>>
>>23331373
>which if that was the case, then Aquinas was just spouting bullshit.
could you say more about this?
t. bystander
>>
>>23331833
He wasn’t though, he affirmed the Bible’s stance on slavery
>>
>>23331848
which is?
>>
>>23330189
You are a pseud
>>
>>23331192
Not all of them, there were Calvinist borderers who were pro-slavery and many of the Anglican Cavaliers supported it too
>>
>>23331850
Voluntary servitude.
>>
>>23331955
So... not slavery?
>>
>>23331864
I'm ripping it straight out of Nietzsche. Get good at philosophy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.