[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1304.jpg (18 KB, 220x225)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
-Russell, Mathematics and the Metaphysicians
>>
>>23360914
Why did philosophy become about saying things aren't real?
>>
I enjoy pure mathematics but I feel guilty reading about it because I know I'm not high IQ enough to contribute anything to the field in the long run even if I can solve the undergrad exercises fine
>>
>>23360914
I don't like Bertrand, I usually admire learned men but I just find Bert repulsive and weak, he's smart but doesn't shine,
>>
>>23360976
He is a godless polyamorist btfod by Goddel so much he went from defining the foundations of math to writing pop sci books
Also Christian autist based jew Wittgenstein stole his thunder
>>
>>23360914
That's not a sufficient condition of mathematics, nor a necessary condition of mathematics.
>>
File: Lacan ontology.jpg (17 KB, 320x208)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>23360917
It's either the real, the symbolic, or the imaginary.
>>
File: IMG_1304.jpg (23 KB, 212x214)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
All pure mathematics—Arithmetic, Analysis, and Geometry—is built up by combinations of the primitive ideas of logic, and its propositions are deduced from the general axioms of logic, such as the syllogism and the other rules of inference. And this is no longer a dream or an aspiration. On the contrary, over the greater and more difficult part of the domain of mathematics, it has been already accomplished; in the few remaining cases, there is no special difficulty, and it is now being rapidly achieved. Philosophers have disputed for ages whether such deduction was possible; mathematicians have sat down and made the deduction. For the philosophers there is now nothing left but graceful acknowledgments.
-Russell, Mathematics and the Metaphysicians

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.