[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: philip_k_dick_android.jpg (140 KB, 1200x900)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>write a book about how androids are literal demiurge creations
>make them as abhorrent as possible
>in the end the protagonist finds Christ after killing a bunch of them and questioning his own humanity
>Some hack midwit director decides to adapt it into a movie
>misses the point completely, makes androids seem like good people
>other midwits gather around your work after watching it
>they make an 'android' in your image
>have to look down from Heaven and see them desecrating your memory
Why do midwits?
>>
Some of us face the greatest nightmare - directly, indirectly - there are many types of 'us'. You, are equal, but clearly all is negative to you which builds the nightmare I think we're on contract for. If you need service regular checks will be made and ones incoming.
>>
>>23361992
Probably tainted by Isaac Asimov's perspective.
>>
>>23361992
> finds Christ
Christians ability to try to claim anyone who ever mentions God as 100% believer is extraordinary. Literal schitzos, deists, people who actively reject Christ existing, not a problem. Invent your own religious canon? Not a problem, definitely a Christian. Reject all theological doctrine and the Bible itself but believe in “something” and visit a unitarian church? Probably a solid Christian right there.
You have no fucking standards whatsoever. I’m glad your religion is becoming majority african because when that penny drops is probably when the last of the larpers in the west stop pretending.
>>
>>23362182
Without more explicitly condemning certain ideas, the average Christian reader will simply interpret it as Christian in that regard. Readers aren't expected to read into PKD's mind nor should any writer of fiction expect them to. Even Japanese animism is interpreted as Christian by Westerners. Should they tell the difference? I don't think it matters. People will draw more clear boundaries in life than they will allow reading fiction.
>>
they did the same thing with Minority Report
>precogs predict crimes that will occur
>head investigator sees he is going to be a criminal
>runs, and thinks about exposing the system
>opens up the possibility of free will vs determinism
>in the end he decides the integrity of the system is more important
>which is exactly what the third precog predicted would happen
>the minority report was wrong
>in the movie the opposite happens
>the minority report precog was actually the bestest precog
>the system with a near 99%+ track record is called into question
>>
>>23362257
The point is - *did* it have a 99% track record? The ONLY case where the supposed criminal was NOT arrested beforehand turned out to be false. And another was faked, allowing someone to get away with murder.
What if they all were like that?
>>
>>23362182
>not only do I not know a damn thing about Christians I am also a racist
FTFY
Errytime
>>
>makes androids seem like good people
That's definitely not Blade Runner. You can sympathise with them up to a point, because they got a raw deal, but they're still basically psychos who kill their way through a handful of people who do absolutely nothing to deserve it.
>Chinaman just doing his job
>good natured idiot who shows them hospitality
>>
>>23362182
PKD was a Christian, but I think he believed the Gnostics were the closest to the truth. He also took a lot of drugs and became the universe was false somehow.
>>
File: magdalene laundries.jpg (59 KB, 800x399)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>23362182
This is baked into the religion itself though. After all, the entire point of Christianity is
>being a cuckold who was executed by the authorities is le good, turn the other cheek, love thy enemy, eat the bugs and live in the pod

It's an absolutely grotesque nihilism that adapts itself to its current circumstances. Consistency doesn't matter, the entire point is just adapting to whatever shitty thing is currently happening. Oh your life sucks and you're a slave? Oh well, your master will get his just desserts in hell meanwhile you're going to afterlife Disneyland. This is why there is so much hypocrisy and there are so many coverups: Christianity is a form of nihilistic cope so whenever something bad happens they just sweep it under the rug and say
>well... that's bad but we can't reject Christ or do anything about it!

We really need a retvrn of the old New Atheist fedora types. They were cringeworthy but people really need to be reminded that these religious ideologies are fucking foul.
>>
>>23362182
God makes for a good plot device and for many his influence (perceived or real) in things is reason enough for them to act (and thus drive the plot forward - but make it more interesting than just "and I thought God spoke to me when X happened")
>>
>>23362430
>We really need a retvrn of the old New Atheist fedora types

Impossible. They were completely destroyed by that fedora meme and, unlike what is said about Christ, they will never rise from the dead.
>>
>>23362444
Well if fedoraism is a type of technology it is still very effective in developing countries and there's no reason you couldn't make an updated version for the west that doesn't evoke 2000s/2010s redditry. I've seen plenty of Indians and some Turks getting redbulled by Dawkins-style stuff in recent years.
>>
>>23362458
>I've seen plenty of Indians and some Turks getting redbulled by Dawkins-style stuff in recent years.

Unless the arguments against religion are far more informed than those of the amazing atheist and such were, which is extremely unlikely, a similar outcome will happen. Possibly with a new, sillier meme. Also, you don't want indians associated with anything you want taken seriously, that is a fatal wound.
>>
>>23362430
None of this is in the Bible. We aren't content with how bad things are, we are content because the Lord shepherds us through it and teaches us to help others the same. If I thought like you instead, obsessed with reading BIPOC sexual domination and cuckoldry into literally everything I would also be miserable.

the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.”
>>
>>23362444
They destroyed themselves by being insufferable.
You need to have more going on in life than trying to "own" Christians, by trying to debate their faith, by taking a U-turn into a discussion on science and how their religious texts conflict with contemporary morality.
>I think your God is fucking sexist!
So what? He doesn't care what you think, does he?
>>
>>23362430
>anon has this gross of a misreading of the Gospel on a literature board
You are reading with a blindfold on.

>nihilism
Resurrection.
>turn the other cheek
The earth and all its works shall be burned with FERVENT HEAT.
The kingdom of God and the earth are two different things. Being unable to tell the difference is what makes people unable to comprehend anything.
>>
File: read meslier.png (857 KB, 587x806)
857 KB
857 KB PNG
>>23362481
Yeah yeah whatever but magic isn't real so I will be charitable and assume you are speaking in code. And the code you are speaking in is
>Christ makes us help others and that's good, you're being a negative nancy spoilsport and focusing on the bad instead of the good

All the good in the world doesn't matter when this ideology always was and is used to oppress its members to comical degrees and also runs cover for elite pedophile rings.
>>
>>23362492
>You are reading with a blindfold on.

You literally worship a supernatural Jew.
>>
>>23362483
>They destroyed themselves by being insufferable.
Proverbs 16:18 lol

>debate their faith, by taking a U-turn into a discussion on science and how their religious texts conflict with contemporary morality

I don't believe this can really happen. The fundamental problem concerning this hypothetical discussion and with trying to make atheism both intelligent and thoughtful, and also popular with the masses, is that the masses themselves are unintelligent and thoughtless and they will destroy whatever the newer atheism was supposed to become by bringing it down to their level. I don't even want to be insulting, people are just primarily fools. Christianity on the other hand instead of this kind of atheism can thrive both as something highly intelligent and also highly simple. It is simply a stronger belief system. A gradual shift away from religion may happen, but it will not be through some sort of internet movement.
>>
>>23362515
And 16:19 is
>It is better to be of a lowly spirit with the poor than to divide the spoil with the proud.

The author of this truly wanted to be put in a chastity cage and forced to lick a goth girl's feet.
>>
>>23362537
She'd better be a materialist atheist dismissively reading the god delusion while he does so, otherwise it wouldn't be complete.
>>
>>23362483
The sexism gripes came later with Atheism+ ackshually. The original form pre-elevatorgate didn't give a shit about social justice stuff because it wasn't even aware of it.
>>
>>23362422
> PKD was a Christian, but I think he believed the Gnostics
You’re exactly what the post is talking about. If you call gnostics christian you may as well call anyone with a clown nose baptized.
>>23362365
I see your spineless ass doesn’t bother defining Christianity to exclude any of the aforementioned in a thread about how a schitzophrenic gnostic is definitely a christian. You’re an idiot.
>>
>>23362182
>implying Mercer isn't a Jesus stand-in
Speaking of midwits...
>>
>>23362597
There's always some kind of trite moral argument going on
>well how does your god justify starving children, hmmmmmm?
I don't know. He's beyond my comprehension, because he's God.
These people always start with the faulty presumption that God is a person with exactly the same sensibilities that they have, and that's not what God is.
>well perhaps you should try not believing if it makes you feel bad, hmmmmmm?
That's not how faith works. These people have literally comprehended nothing.
They just want to be smug and "right". They don't want to understand.
>>
>>23361992
>make them as abhorrent as possible
I read do androids dream of electric sheep and I don't see what was so abhorrent about the replicants. He kills a opera singer for no particular reason?
>but hurr they want to kill deckard
I mean duh he was trying to kill them in the first place it's called self defense
2049 is much better than Dick's stupid nonsensical story.
>>
>>23362615
>"You didn't uphold my strawman, REEEEEEEE!
FTFY
>schitzophrenic
lol
lmao, even
I bet you read "neetzchee" and think "Goethe" is pronounced like those hot chicks in black with big tiddies
>>
File: atheist struggle.jpg (93 KB, 500x756)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>23362430
>I know literally nothing about Christianity or Christian history except what I saw on a HS dropout atheist's YT channel
FTFY
Meanwhile, in another thread anon is whinging about the crusades and the inquisition and demanding Christians be banned because they are violent extremists.
>>
>>23362615
The Gnostics believe in the divinity of Christ. They are literally Christians.
>>
>>23362615
Note: he did not deny being a racist
>>
>>23362234
I see your point, but PKD wrote an exegesis so you could read his mind. I understand most fans won’t read it, but there is no good reason to interpret his works contrary to his own thinking.
>>
>>23362787
The most amazing thing about the New Atheist was how damn *ignorant* they are/were.
I read the God Delusion and was baffled because he failed to even comprehend the Cosmological & Teleological Arguments so his replies were downright cringeworthy!
It was like telling a kid
>1/3rd is less than 1/2
And he screeches
>but 3 is bigger than 2!
for 100 pages
>>
>>23362884
That is not the only requirement to be Christian
And not all Gnostics think Christ is divine
>ReadABook.jpg
>>
>>23362884
You would have been branded a heretic for about 1900 years of church history, some centuries of those years getting burned alive. The attempt to reintegrate a dead heresy upon finding some scraps of their writings is 100 times more pathetic than the modern pagan shitheads who claim to be gnostics.
>>23362888
Wow you should downvote even harder and call a moderator!
>>
>>23362458
It's very effective at killing off populations by teaching them that murdering their own children is a human right. I would inflict atheism on my enemies to destroy them, and punish it viciously among my own people, and since every society that doesn't do this is currently aging out of existence, in a hundred years the only people left will be those whom reject it.
>>
>>23362936
>I am a proud racist
FTFY
>>
>>23362964
Demographers called this ages ago.
The core devout religious populations won *in the 1970s*.
With demographic momentum the future in inevitable- the world will have a population of under 2 billion and that population will be effectively 85% devoutly Catholic/Mormon/Orthodox with rest devout Protestants/Muslims/Jews.
Atheists delete themselves.
> https://www.amazon.com/Shall-Religious-Inherit-Earth-Twenty-First-ebook/dp/B004DL0OCG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=32DGNYQUWGFRO&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.34PpfSopuoxT6CQR1EwizEJXMXytpDmW1fKOn-AUNd7zdaV2O8XUPzpZUbnH5cUZOT7G08LryEnfcacvCTm2HilH7-aNN14XwE9KAQV1nkuYxrWTxAglAL6LVYdwPbKh_WpvY2zvetjgXuErF45KvxpVtKbRr1F15gZXpcMPvhpjLQkrJ5IyBtGFG_RdrAoiAiFhbBjev5ifBOA9qG8y0w.sPsdFsviiqY6ZIcfDBY6sb43uBT_htJ9A0zEv7vpt2A&dib_tag=se&keywords=shall+the+religious+inherit+the+earth&qid=1715112657&sprefix=shall+the+re%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-1
>>
File: IMG_8501.gif (591 KB, 220x165)
591 KB
591 KB GIF
>>23362829
>>
>>23362803
>book explicitly shows love for animals is what separates humans from andies
>forgot the part where that bitch Rachel threw Deckard's sheep out of the roof out of spite
>forgot the part where the andies pull out a spider's legs just for fun
You don't read much, do you?
>>
>>23362926
>Christian
>follower of Christ
Yes?
>>
>>23362964
Once again, extreme nihilism:
>people can't reproduce without worshiping a jew

Fuck yourself to death with a steak knife.
>>
>>23363039
Those are all things humans right now do, what's supposed to be so inhuman about it? It's extremely human behavior
>>
>>23363221
Anon, can I ask you how would you have felt yesterday afternoon if you didn't have breakfast that morning?
>>
>>23363096
nta but the Nicene Creed is a bit longer than that.
>>
>>23361992
>write a book about how androids are literal demiurge creations
PKD explicitly said androids are standins for schizotypal humans and calls into question whether or not people who medically can't feel empathy are still human a deserve to be treated as human.
>>
>>23363235
What does that have to do with the fact that violence against animals is a human trait? Or that love for animals does not mean love for humans?
>>
Is he worth reading?
>>
>>23361992
>foreign race that looks identical to you bands together and subverts your society and does everything they can to destroy it
What the FUCK did PKD mean by this
>>
>>23363535
kinda but it's full of hippie shit from the era
>>
>>23363190
>I AM A RACIST!!!!!!
FTFY
How many kids do *you* have, racist?
>>
File: straw man.jpg (71 KB, 555x450)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>23363601
FFS, at least *pretend* you read the book
>>
>>23363918
>>23362995
>>23362888
>>23362365
Where do you come from, immigrant?
>>
>>23363918
>>23363921
*dumb* *tourist*
>>
>>23363918
I'm not a heckin racist (though apologies to that anon for what it's worth on 4chan, I was pretty drunk when I posted that extreme hostility lol) I just think it's ridiculous that people need to worship a Jew (or anyone) just to have kids. Birth rates are now getting dumped everywhere, even among religious people. The problem is the modern world, not a lack of religion. You're not going to solve it with sophistry and tradlarping. Why do religiotards always feel compelled to lie to people? The Eternal Priest is a pox on the world. Just be honest bro.
>>
>>23363221
Thirdies do that kind of shit, and they're not human either.
>>
>>23363190
You're brown and you watch nick fuentes.
>>
>>23362936
>The attempt to reintegrate a dead heresy upon finding some scraps of their writings
What are you even talking about? It's all in the Bible lmfao.
>>
>>23362182
>t. Christian
>>
>>23365949
You're the type who thinks about e-celebs so even if I was asphalt-colored I'd still be whiter than you.
>>
>>23362862
I push the right button.
>>
>>23362182
He was a Christian you dimwit
>>
>>23361992
Well I also think that DADOES is great and Blade Runner is lame. But I don't know that PKD would be bothered by the android.
>>
>>23362257
I remember the short story differently. All I remember is that in the initial predicted timeline he commits the murder, but then reading the prediction makes him not commit the murder, but then reading the prediction that he didn't commit the murder makes him commit the murder.

So the two predictions that agree with each other are actually predictions of the 1st and 3rd timeline, with the third being the actual one.

But I may be misremembering.
>>
>>23366990
Wait I'm an idiot that's what you wrote.
>>
>>23363221
I do think you make a valid point. Or at least partially valid.
>>
>>23363039
Didn't sophia do something with the goat on a roof at the end of divine invasion.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.