[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

aside from getting high from the ink fumes, what does a typewriter do better than a laptop/computer?
>>
It doesn’t tempt you with constant and perpetual distraction.
>>
>No distractions from social media or surfing the web
>No need to start it up. Charge it. Download a program. Backup your folders. Update the computer. No electricity needed at all.
>Physical paper. You can hold your own words in your hand. No need for desktop folders of meaningless text files. Get a file cabinet and be able to instantly search and hold everything you ever wrote.
>No worry about hard drive crashing and losing all your data or text files corrupting.
>Makes writing extremely enjoyable. Writing on a computer feels soulless. Typing away on those flat lifeless Macbook keys compared to the mechanical typewriter. That great feeling of pressing the keys and the typewriter and love the sound of the bell.
>Historical collectibles. Beautiful to look at compared to a laptop. They're works of art and there are lots of models to choose from. Can type on the same typewriter your favorite novelists typed in the 1930s.
>Can use it for writing out forms and other things that are annoying to write by hand with a pen
>>
You're locked into the draft and can't go back and edit, only expand and leave notes for later, which makes you write more and pushes editing into a separate process. Editing then becomes rewriting, which tends to have larger changes instead of small substitutions that don't always fix the greater problem.

The editing side is simple and nondestructive, you're marking changes instead of making them and get a more holistic view of the project. I got more meaningful changes between drafts and less wavering over whether something fit or had to go. Crossing a line or passage out is more psychologically permanent. You're more apt to do it differently, which usually leads to better writing.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (248 KB, 1600x1200)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>23525508
>typewriter
>computer
>not writing any of your literary works exclusively on pic related
Using any other means of creating literature these days only outs you as a fucking pseud.
>>
>>23525508
One thing it does worse is the noise. They need a fresh platen and isolation from other people. If you are in a room with other people in the house/apt they will hate you and force you to stop.
But they are nice, I'm going to try a new method where I simply light the page on fire if I don't like it. Burn after typing sort of thing.
>>
>>23525508
Trying my hardest to not derail this thread into a ramble about writing in Vim.
>>
>>23525508
>what does a typewriter do better than a laptop/computer?
Focus. But a pen and paper is even better.
>>
>>23525508
>getting high from the ink fumes
things that have never happened
what's wrong with you?
>>
>>23525717
I have one of those. I'm not a touch typist, I type fast, but I need to see the words appear, or else ot throws me off, and these guys can take some getting used to with their slower lcd displays.

But they are fucking beasts. 2 AA batteries that are only discharged when you press a key, so they last forever. Just plug it in to a computer and press print for it to write out a file.

Can't believe we had it so good 25 years ago.
>>
>>23525876
we have enough vim cultists on /g/ without them spilling out into here
>>
>>23525911
this
>>
>>23525876
For what purpose? Preference?
>>
File: 30EKiNc.jpg (268 KB, 667x1000)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>>23525508
Typewriters are for pretentious lolcows.
>>
>>23525508
It doesnt automatically download a system update and lose all your files.
>>
Nothing. It's a less practical machine for writing. People use it because they are nostalgic and/or pretentious about using analog devices instead of digital ones. Some people also simply like the sensation of typing on an old typewriter, and the sounds it makes.
>>
>>23525717
doesn't it bother you to only be able to see 3 lines of what you're writing at the time? I'm more of a pen and paper guy, but only because i haven't found anything more pratical (typewriters are for pseuds and laptops are distracting)
>>
File: IMG_0125.jpg (77 KB, 811x1000)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Let me guess, you need more?
>>
>>23525717
Wtf are these called again. I think last I saw these up close and in person was when I was a tyke.
>>
>>23525518
/thread
>>
>>23526590
It's a late model word processor. The glorified electric typewriters and pseudo-laptops from before that time were actually usable.
>>
>>23525533
hell yea brother. also. consider this. when you're typing on a computer, it makes it far too easy for you to edit, delete, and self-censor. this is especially deleterious for creative writing. computers might be better for writing memos or business writing, sure. but think of creative writing as you, alone versus the void. and every letter and character you type, is a little blinking light, illuminating the void. picture the way you progress on a computer. you type a little light into the void, and then you backtrack, delete, edit. then picture how you progress into the void with a typewriter. you smash the keys, light up the void, and plow forwards into the void, taking no surrender. writing on a typewriter has the strange effect of simultaneously making you think harder and more carefully about your words, but also making you more courageous and daring as you plow into the void.
>>
>>23526585
A pen or pencil may be helpful.
>>
File: AT-1172_grande.jpg (59 KB, 600x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>23526590
alphasmart neo. there's also an alphasmart 3000

>>23526577
the Neo can display 3 to 6 lines depending on preference
>>
>>23525876
I prefer Emacs.
>>
>>23526585
I agree with you but that paper is complete dogshit. Get a nice notebook (less than 10 bucks). And you still need to type it up at some point if you want to publish. Otherwise you are completely correct.
>>
>>23525508
Keeps cyberSatan from molesting your thoughts
>>
>>23525508
nigga use ur mind
>>
>>23525508
Editing iteration documentation more concrete. And not connected to a surveillance device with OS coded by hostile state actors and jeets.
>>
>>23526360
it's faster than navigating your document with a mouse, and it spits out plain text instead of a bloated word file. there's also the angle of "this is less distracting," but that's true of any terminal program.

all that said, you have to adopt the whole unix workflow if you want to really reap the benefit. version control with git (or something like it), an editing tool like proselint, something like pandoc for converting your plain text to other formats for consumption. you build up a set of tools and know-how, and after the initial learning period you work much more efficently. the efficiency compounds as you add tools to your belt.

t. vim + git + vale + pandoc + hugo user
>>
>>23525518
Remove internet connection capability + download a good word processing program + download pdf dictionary and thesaurus = type writer 2.0 you can use in the dark.
>But battery life
But ink ribbon. Mediums consume, no matter what.
>>
Is not connected to the internet or telemetry, is a strong tradition, also just looks cool. Very satisfying to type away on these things, the pressure and chunking of it. Friend of mine let me use an old electronic one from IBM once before.
>>
>>23525508
Global warming
>>
I just enjoy the aesthetics of it and the sounds. Plus, like many have said, it's nice to not worry about my info being data mined by Big Tech and the Government.
>>
>>23525508
It doesn't blanket you in an unnatural emf.
>>
All you guys using typewriters to avoid being spied on are making sure to burn your used ribbons, right?
>>
>>23529981
I dont use my typewriter for writing. I use it to fill out untracable money orders.
>>
>>23529981
1) a ribbon goes through multiple cycles going in both directions. so any letters that could be read off a used ribbon would be a jumbled, indiscernible mess.
2) you would have to be an extremely significant person for spies to go through the effort to try to read your used typewriter ribbons. meanwhile, literally everyone who uses a phone/computer is getting spied on 24/7. its not a good idea to try to create art on a device that is actively monitoring, surveilling, tracking, databasing and flagging your behavior
>>
>>23530005
I saw this movie
>>23530053
Based and can't get the joke pilled

I used my typewriter today bc this thread
>>
>>23529981
Much like how glowies today ensure that printers leave behind a specific, identifiable mark, the East German Stasi made sure they could identify the type produced by every typewriter in the country.
>>
File: 1648261956234.png (5 KB, 239x258)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>23525533
>Get a file cabinet
>>
>>23525518
>>23525533
>>23525563
>>23525911
>>23526443
>>23527706
>>23527783
>>23528510
>>23529945
What do I do if I'm sold but these buckets of bolts are extremely fucking loud and I have pissy neighbors? Is there a silent version?
>>
>>23532589
No
>>
>>23525508
>getting high from the ink fumes
This does not happen.
>>
>>23532589
You can put a felt pad under the typewriter and it will muffle some of the sound, but it will be nosy. It likely won't be louder than a TV though, so just type during normal hours if your neighbors are annoying or just ignore them.
>>
>>23525508
The type writer will tell you when you're being lazy in a more effective manner via the sudden silence.
>>
>>23532618
virgin
>>
>>23528274
Typewriter won’t shoot blue light into your eyes.
>>
>>23533752
This has been debunked
>>
>>23533724
man that's an interesting point. it also rewards you acoustically when you start back in. also I much prefer the silent waiting of the typewriter over the blinking cursor on the computer
>>
>>23534260
Another benefit is it doesn't muddy the lines on who is responsible for saving your work. I used to work in tech and the amount of otherwise smart people, lawyers, drs, professors etc losing all their professional work because of some signal given or perceived by the computer was impressive/depressive.
>>
How in the fuck do you get high from ink?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (172 KB, 1200x1600)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
I learned how to touch type using a classic typewriter and it wasn't enjoyable at all.
I'd rather use a electric one.
>>
>>23535077
Some inks and dyes contain toluene, which can get you high. Typewriter ribbons don't, though.
>>
>>23535084
>toluene
If my memory does not fail me that shit's cancerous.
>>
>>23535088
Yeah it does all kinds of nasty stuff to you. It's one of the few drugs where the "kills off brain cells" meme is actually true.
>>
Pen and paper is best, but I have terrible handwriting. So a typewriter is a good compromise to keep my writing physical but still readable
>>
>>23525508
Easier to turn off notifications
>>
>>23525563
I like this stance. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>23525508
Your assigned NSA/CIA jackoff won't be reading and judging and stealing your prose.
>>
I fell for the meme and bought one a few years ago, but I haven't used it since. The loud clacking makes each letter feel so weighty and final that I'm too afraid to type anything at all.
>>
>>23525508
Than a laptop/computer running Win 11?
Everything.
>>
>>23535081
I thought about getting one of these, any of you know a good website where I can read about popular models so I don't end up buying some garbage?
>>
>>23537444
Just try keeping a daily journal with it so you get used to the sound and you might find you enjoy it. No reason to have it gather dust.
>>
>>23537444
>>23538164
Classic typewriters aren't enjoyable to use at all. I learned how to touch type using one and I would never go back.
>>
>>23538186
Sorry you have little weak fingers
>>
>>23538898
I could break your neck with two fingers
>>
>>23538898
>I was born with better genes than you
congratulations, amazing work there
>>
is maintenance a bitch with these things? I assume they rust over time
>>
>>23525508
Typewriters will get you pussy if you can pull off the look. It’s worked for me like a charm when I take it in public
>>
>>23540167
I have an Olivetti that's over 40 years old with zero rust, and it has not been given any special care besides being properly stored when unused.
>>
File: 1713769520416948.png (1.27 MB, 782x718)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
if youre serious about writing, you either use pen&paper, or a laptop. everything else is mental masturbation.
>>
File: mugwriter.png (701 KB, 1024x576)
701 KB
701 KB PNG
Get on my level.
>>
which typewriter does /lit/ recommend for entry level
>>
>>23542706
What is "entry level"?
>>
>>23542910
as in someone who has never used or worked with a typewriter before
>>
>>23543070
Typewriters all function in a similar way, unless you get an electric typewriter which I personally don't like and can't comment on. Each model might have some "quirks" or some gimmick that was a marketing feature, but fundamentally manual typewriters are the same other than build quality and aesthetics.

You'll need to get a used one. Modern typewriters are trash and cheaply made. Get one that isn't a portable, they move when you type and you likely won't take it anywhere. You'll want a standard or "desk" size. I personally like Olympia but you need to check which model because they stopped being made in Germany at some point. Finding one is a personal choice, they will all likely function similarly, but for you, the typeface, the aesthetics of the body all matter. Plus, depending on where you live might also influence which brands are around on the used market. It's better to have a well taken care of typewriter than anything, so condition really matters. In the end, pick a well taken care of typewriter from a brand you like, so research a few brands and models and see what sparks an interest for you personally. Smith Corona, Hermes, Olivetti, Olympia, and Royal are common brands. Also, maybe try to stick with models from the 1950's to 1960's, but follow your dreams. I hope this helps.
>>
>>23540170
Please elaborate
>>
>>23543144
nta, but how does getting ribbon work? Is it difficult/pricey? Is there one kind of ribbon that works for most typewriters, or do you need to match the right model typewriter to the right ribbon?
>>
>>23543328
It depends on the typewriter, most brands have their own spools(what the ribbon is wrapped around inside the typewriter) but they make replacements. You can reuse the spool and just re-wrap it with a new ribbon. The ribbons tend to last a long time and normally will have a red and black stripe. There is normally a lever or button on the typewriter to switch between the red and black. Does that help? The spools and ribbon are normally less than $30 online and last a long time.
>>
>>23543549
To add on this, ribbons with ink are dirty cheap on AliExpress and work just fine.
>>
>>23525518
Use pen and paper then, nobody is fooled by your pretentious harkening back to a simpler time
>>
test
>>
>>23543144
>Each model might have some "quirks" or
The biggest one of these is knowing or testing where the bell is. Your comment on portables is also a quirk: they're lighter so they're not compensating for your force in the same way a normal machine will through sheer weight.
>>
>>23532589
Get a shack in the woods
Roll an empty wire reel to your shack to use as a desk
Scavenge dumpsters for an empty bucket
Use the empty bucket as a desk chair.
Set your typewriter on the empty wire reel
Set your ass on the empty bucket
Start typing. Pissy neighbors in the woods will think your a wood pecker and will not complain. Problem solved.
>>
>>23545353
I still wouldn't recommend someone get a portable for their first typewriter.
>>
File: s-l1200.jpg (233 KB, 900x1200)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
For me it's...

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.