[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1689618434673382.jpg (108 KB, 452x678)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Which scifi book should i start reading, as a beginner
>>
That's a weird cover. Haunting, even.
>>
>>23534125
The killing star.
>>
Science fiction fans are people who have a passing interest in technology but are too lazy to learn about actual scientific subjects.
>>
>>23534125
that is a much better cover than the garbage paperback i bought. Androids dream of electric sheep is a very short, pleasant read.
>>
>>23534125
I'll recommend you some relatively accessible stuff.
>MMAcevedo by qntm
>https://qntm.org/mmacevedo
An epistolary story about an uploaded mind. Cold, clinical sci-fi horror. Honorable mention should go to the SCP Wiki which has a lot of entries that are competent sci-fi horror although they tend to be a mixed bad and lurch more in the direction of fantasy horror.
>The Last Question by Isaac Asimov
It's a classic sci-fi short story for good reason. It's a bit cheesy but for a lot of people it's their first intro to Asimov and midcentury speculative fiction in general. It's about entropy, otherwise just read it for yourself.
>The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect by Roger Williams
>http://localroger.com/prime-intellect/
It's not by Asimov but runs using Asimov's technoethics. By contemporary standards, this focus on Asimov's Laws of Robotics makes it seem dated and clunky especially since there's been a lot of other "post-Singularity" work that delves deeper. Nonetheless, if you've got a strong stomach for violence (sexual and otherwise) and moral ambiguity this is a good short story. There are other stories by Williams that take place in this universe.
>Twig by Wildbow
>https://twigserial.wordpress.com/
Web serial about a world where Dr. Frankenstein-style biotechnology is mainstream and used to create a New British Empire. It focuses on children who're created to be the superhuman slaves of this regime, keeping renegade researchers in check. Wildbow in general has only improved greatly as a writer since Worm.
>>
>>23534197
seconding. if you like it go on to rendezvous with rama.
>>
>>23534222
I read it this weekend. PKD has a unique style that is oddly endearing after you get used to it.
>>
Tiger Tiger / The Stars My Destination
>>
>>23534294
Great suggestion. A ridiculously fun book that's also packed with cool ideas.
>>
>>23534209
You can actually do both, read sci-fi and learn cool science. Don't be a faggot
>>
Stranger in a Strange Land
>>
>>23534125
That one
Its my fav
>>
>>23534209
Many decent scientists have pointed to sci fi as how they got to where they were.
>>
ender's game
>>
>>23534125
Hyperion is great
>>
>>23534243
I remember being a teenager and going through all sorts of webfiction and public domain sci fi. You brought back good memories, Anon.
>>
>>23536217
It really is a touching memory, also develops better taste than reverting to the mean through paypigging or piracy.
>>
>>23534336
This. It is kinda long though. Ghost by Piers Anthony is nice and fairly short.
>>
>>23534125
Really depends on where you're coming and what you're looking for. I can recommend some Hard Sci-Fi:

> Solaris (Stanislaw Lem)
> Starfish (Peter Watts)
> Culture Series (Ian M. Banks)
>>
>>23534516
>Many
name two
>>
>>23534243
>The Last Question by Isaac Asimov
Just read it thanks to this post. Great story. I feel like I may have read it ages ago and didn't remember, something about it seemed familiar, but regardless, so much meat to it in so few pages.
>>
>>23534125
the robot books my asimov
I, Robot (collection of short stories), caves of steel, the naked sun

heinlein
starship troopers, stranger in a strange land, the moon is a harsh mistress
>>
>>23535798
>Hyperion is great
Eh. It's 5 ok short stories. Epic in scale, well written for the most part.
>>
>>23536304
>Solaris (Stanislaw Lem)
After bouncing hard off the boring movie adaptions, I was surprised how tense and interesting this was.
>>
I didn't know if Something Wicked This Way Comes counts but it's a really good book
>>
>>23534243
>>MMAcevedo by qntm
oh, I saw his work on Amazon. Are his collections and other stories worth picking up? I know they'll be print on demand, but I like reading paper.
>>
>>23534125
Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. Nice writing, short stories, some fun, some sad. Bradbury's always worth a read.
>>
As a beginner, you should try something more easy and yet funny.

Starship Troopers
A Fall of Moondust
Project Hail Mary
Leviathan Wakes
Philip K Dick shorty stories.

>>23534209
This is a bait, right? The best sci-fi books out there aren't even about technology.
>>
>>23534125
the one you posted and this. after that you can move on from the genre as nothing comes close to topping these two
>>
>>23534516
The greatest scientists found their inspiration in actual literature and scripture, not adolescent genre fiction
>>
>>23534209
They enjoy literature and idea more than boring practical logistical work. If a reader likes science then he'll read textbooks you dope.
>>
File: s-l640.jpg (32 KB, 266x400)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>
>>23538601
>Source: my putrid asshole
>>
>>23536268
Ghost is terrific, and I've never heard it mentioned by anyone. You have patrician taste, anon.
>>
I started with 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke when I was fourteen. Food for thought.
>>
File: Clifford_Simak_WS_3112.jpg (137 KB, 658x926)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>23534291
Dick is great, but if you're starting out you should read the two gentlemen he regarded as mentors. The great A. E. Van Vogt (Slan, Null-A) and Clifford D. Simak (Way Station, City),

Simak: "Overall, I have written in a quiet manner; there is little violence in my work. My focus has been on people, not on events. More often than not I have struck a hopeful note ... I have, on occasions, tried to speak out for decency and compassion, for understanding, not only in the human, but in the cosmic sense. I have tried at times to place humans in perspective against the vastness of universal time and space. I have been concerned where we, as a race, may be going, and what may be our purpose in the universal scheme – if we have a purpose. In general, I believe we do, and perhaps an important one."
>>
>>23535798
>>23536304
>Hyperion
>Solaris
These are bad recommendations for someone who isn't used to sci-fi and wants to get started in the genre. The books are good, but it's the same as if someone asked "I want to start with fantasy, what should I read?" and someone recommended Earthsea and The Book of The New Sun.
>>
File: 1719606059743623.jpg (290 KB, 1030x1280)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>23540325
If you want really simple, then start with Heinlein's juveniles. But your observation is off. There isn't anyone not used to sci-fi after decades of being saturated by decades of Star Trek, Doctor Who and capeshit. Hell, we're living in a sci-fi dystopia right now.
>>
>>23541076
I doubt anyone who isn't used to actually read heavy physiological texts, only comics or young fantasy can handle Solaris. Or any weird PKD or dry and hard sci-fi.
Even Neuromancer makes lots of readers very confused and frustrated.
>>
>>23540325
Book of the New Sun I get, but what's wrong with Earthsea for a new fantasy reader? For what it's worth I've only read (and only intend to read) A Wizard of Earthsea.
>>
>>23540325
So if I’ve read Stein, Joyce, Lima, and Gass I’ll struggle with Solaris?
>>
>>23534125
>>
>>23541924
Give it a shot, anon, but it also depends on whether you like lengthy descriptions of strange geometric shapes mixed with a lot of nihilism.
>>
>>23538438
Yes, at least in my opinion they are.
>>
>>23534125
Star Maker

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.