[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1227.jpg (504 KB, 1452x2156)
504 KB
504 KB JPG
This book makes heavy use of blackface and they used the N word a lot of the times.

I can not recommend this.
>>
>>23536288
>I thank you Jeeves
as in of "ask" fame?
>>
>>23536288
They used blackface on the show too. Great show to be honest
>>
>>23536288
Good.
>>
>>23536310
The OP post was in jest but blackface is actually a major theme in this book. Bertie’s friend owns a yacht and he has a party where some black musicians show up and Bertie just wantonly calls them the N word throughout the book. The really sensitive readers might have trouble getting through this novel even. Bertie has to put on blackface to evade the yacht’s owner who tried imprisoning him there.
>>
>not liking Jeeves
>>
>>23536972
I can assure you sir, it was a most regretful usage of words by OP.
>>
>>23536288
What a shame. Thanks for the warning.
>>
>>23536943
It is almost as if by making it a theme, Wodehouse is exploring racism through the lens of orientalism.
>>
>>23536943
Blackface as part of a plot doesn't really bother me (though it isn't believable in the slightest), but just throwing around the N word is cheap, rude, and shallow. I don't understand how mocking the musicians who you've hired to play is supposed to be a gentleman's humor. Obviously the qualities of the dregs of the upper class, at best—the kind of people who are born to money, but are never suited to it.
>>
>>23537025
Gentlemen in the era were drones.
>>
>>23537025
From what I understand, they actually like it.
>>
>>23537025
I don't believe the term "nigger minstrel" had the same negative connotation to it in 1934.
>>
>>23537064
It had a different negative connotation in the Wodehouse readers' group. But Wodehouse uses this, and other uses of race, to lampoon Empire and Gentlemen, and show that true gentlemen are of every nation just so long as they are British.

Also Jeeves is basically running a NHS mental health service for aristocrats.
>>
>>23537073
My reference book says his politics are "reactionary" and it says his works are outdated though it doesn't really make any specifics. Roderick Spode the character is a satire of Fascism but I don't recall anything else overtly political in his works.
>>
>>23537082
And Keep the Aspidistra Flying is in favour of the middle class.
>>
>>23537096
Are you having a brain meltdown or something? I fail to see the relevance of Orwell.
>>
>>23537101
Maybe try reading Wodehouse yourself.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (39 KB, 500x499)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>What if I paint my face with shoe polish and escape with the negro musicians?
>Delightfully devilish, Bertie
>>
>>23537103
Watch this clip and try to envision this man as Jeeves. I think he would make the perfect Jeeves for a movie version. He has the right air to him and the right look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQm311XSdGE
>>
File: iu[4].jpg (38 KB, 474x651)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>23537116
The butler from The Nanny would have made the perfect Jeeves. Really, his character is Jeeves and I watch the show for a Jeeves fix.
>>
>>23537126
I could totally see that too but from memory he was less prestigious in his household than Jeeves was with CeeCee frequently mocking him and insulting him. Also he wasn't as into the literary as Jeeves was though all of this is from my memory of watching the show twenty years ago.
>>
>>23537130
No no you are absolutely right. He was the American sitcom Jeeves, so he had to play some comic relief and be less upper-class, but, in my opinion, the actor captured Jeeves' intelligence, and dignity while hiding a cunning and mischievous streak. I guess not the same, but still similar.
>>
>>23537152
Fun fact: That actor was born in Arkansas

Most who watch the show assume he was British irl.
>>
File: spode.jpg (501 KB, 2322x1720)
501 KB
501 KB JPG
>>23537082
Based Spode has some big ideas about potatoes.
>>
>>23536288
Oddly so does the show of it they made with House MD and his husband
>>
>>23536288
I'm not even racist and I don't think there's anything wrong with blackface at all. The reason its seen as not acceptable is extremely culturally specific, american minstrel shows. Its just a costume. No different than wearing a native american headdress or painting yourself blue and being a smurf
>>
>>23537529
Well there's blackface and then there's Blackface. In these books it's literally a minstrel show with the white/red and everything.
>>
>>23537163
I cant believe Arkansas is real
I've met people from every state, but never arkansas
>>
Real talk, Wodehouse? Tell me about him.
>>
>>23536943
That episode was in the show as well. Don’t think they used the n word though
>>
>>23537956
He's funny, he's a funny guy. Very funny writer. Funny characters and situations. You'd probably like him, most people do.
>>
>>23537164
He was a visionary
>>
quite rummy behaviour, what?
>>
>>23538780
>“Negroid entertainers,” to use Jeeves’ term, is the least offensive description applied in the book to the musicians, which gives a sense of how much they’re dehumanized. One character assumes that a black man is likely to be a thief. There’s repeated and careless use of a racial slur.

https://bookriot.com/jeeves-and-blackface/

This article is really poorly written and is sensationalist but the original book uses the word so much it might be off putting to people trying to get into this writer.
>>
>>23539213
IT is only off putting if people cannot understand context and intent. Black people were called Negros. It wasn't a definite pejorative like it is now. Negro, along with Caucasian and Mongloid were just terms to describe the different races. Just like using White, black, asian etc.
>>
>>23539228
Obviously anyone who would be posting on this board would know the context of “nigger minstrels” in 1934. The point is a random reader with no background might not be super interested in picking up a book only to be bombarded with nigger nigger nigger nigger. That is the main point where I agree with the article.
>>
>>23539213
>dehumanized
This really gets thrown around a lot, these days. As if the humans who are being treated "like humans" are being treated with particular respect and consideration by comparison.
In my experience, they usually are not.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.