[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What are you reading about Egypt lately? Please mods don't make me go to /his/, they'll just start arguing about Egyptian race shit

It still blows my mind that we deciphered this language. Imagine being the first person to translate the Palermo Stone.
>>
Nothing right now, but I'm seriously considering learning Egyptian and hieroglyphics, or else cuneiform and some other ancient language, after I become fluent in Ancient Greek and Biblical Greek. Egypt was a fascinating place.
>>
>>23537031
>Please mods don't make me go to /his/, they'll just start arguing about Egyptian race shit

Pol becoming the biggest board on 4chan was such a mistake.
Anyway, I've been meaning to look into Manetho's history texts recently, along with Herodotus' histories. Iirc, the latter delves into the building of the pyramids
>>
>>23537031
>>23537551
>Egyptian race shit
Don't be surprised if they find their way onto this board and in this thread.
>>
>>23537551
>>23538112
/his/ doesn't suck because of /pol/ or /pol/whiners like you who ruin boards like /lit/, it sucks because it's full of atheists and they're the lowest quality posters. Just like you guys added nothing to this thread.
>>
Nothing special, just read a catalogue of the Egyptian Museum's best artifacts
>>
>Behold, I am come. I have succeeded. I will not leave you alone; I will not let you walk the earth without my bearing down upon you. You are undone, cowardly Asiatic! I shall drink wine from your vineyard, which the Asiatics I captured will press for me. I have destroyed your dwelling-places and cut down your trees; I have forced your women into the ships and taken away the chariots.
>>
>>23538121
Oh here we go, king racist found us anyways. Go ahead and tell us all about your "Med" identity you social reject.
>>
Bros how was 3rd millennium BC culture so lively? I keep expecting them to be grugs who start civilization slow and then they keep doing shit that frightens me with its complexity
>>
File: IMG_2471.jpg (12 KB, 183x275)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Plan on reading this soon, any input?
>>
File: mammoth huts.jpg (169 KB, 730x637)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>23538361
>Bros how was 3rd millennium BC culture so lively

We had a long uptake time.
>>
Recommend us some classics of egyptology. Something that is to Egypt what Jaeger's Paideia is to Greece or Syme's The Roman Revolution is to Rome.
>>
Medieval muslim egyptology was pure kino
>>
>>23538747
I heard that this one exaggerates the understanding muslims had of ancient egypt quite a lot.
>>
>>23538369
How did they know the shape of the huts if it was excavated? Stone and wood, I can understand.
>>
Does anyone know if Awakening Osiris is a good translation of the Book of the Dead? Normandi seems like a fruity hippy, which is usually a red flag, but I've seen some surprising people namedrop this translation before.
>>
Anyone here read Red Land, Black Land?
>>
>>23540381
Yes. It's pretty good. The humor might be annoying if it's not to your taste, but she's genuinely knowledgeable and has some insightful things to say.
>>
>>23540388
Thanks friend. it's already on my bookshelf but I wasn't sure how much to prioritize it.
>>
>>23537031
All these Egyptian stone reliefs have like half the space worn away by time. Combined with how notoriously difficult Egyptian script is how did we manage to actually (presumably) get whole versions of the Book of the Dead translated?
>>
Look up this museum.They have the original Nefertiti bust and the founder of the museum one of the pioneers of Agyptology.

https://www.smb.museum/en/museums-institutions/aegyptisches-museum-und-papyrussammlung/home/
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9 KB, 179x282)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>23537031
Han anyone read this 'twilight saga' of it's age?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.