[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hotdog.jpg (36 KB, 552x515)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Damn, medieval philosophy slaps fr
>>
>>23537812
Way ahead of his time, just imagine how advanced we'd be if the renaissance heresy didn't take hold....
>>
He really said that. When I'm reminded of his forward thinking, I start to believe in reincarnation and time travel. He was remarkably prescient, in a way that is eerie; how else would he know about hotdogs except by divine inspiration?
>>
>>23537812
Colossians 3
>>
>>23537812
This is unironically an accurate summary of transubstantiation.
>>
>>23538751
That’s the one aspect of Christian philosophy that eludes me. I tend to grasp everything else.
>>
>>23538775
No need to understand it. Descartes already deboonked it.
>>
>>23537812
It's ironic because the issue of how food "becomes" an animal was actually an important problem in medieval philosophy.
>>
>>23538775
>this IS my body

What's so hard to understand, anon?
>>
>>23538775
During Eucharist, Catholics believe that through the priest's blessing, the wafers and wine actually turn into the physical flesh and blood of Jesus Christ; not metaphorically, but a true physical transformation.
>>
>>23537812
>That time when Thomas Aquinas tried to logically prove how taking a nap after bath makes you feel better when you're sad (in Summa Theologica)

https://www.newadvent.org/summa/2038.htm#article5
>>
>>23538804
>"a true physical transformation"
Not exactly. Obviously what is there is bread, if you put it under a microscope it would be bread. But we would say that after consecration the "breadness" is only accidental, not substantial, and what it is substantially is the body of Christ. Just like you can paint a table red or white and it's still a table, because the red or white is accidental to it. Whether this counts as a "true physical transformation" depends on your philosophy of nature.
>>
Imagine if Aquinas had put his intellect and work ethic towards something useful.
>>
>>23537812
Another pseud astroturfed by Catholics.
>>
>>23538880
Like shitposting on 4chan. Alas, he made contributions towards western thought instead.
>>
fr fr on god fr fr

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.