[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: iu[2].jpg (82 KB, 900x750)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Tell me about Dickens. Whats his writing like? Whats a good novel to get the Dickens experience? Like I read that he was the greatest Victorian novelist. What made him so great?
>>
>>23537962
He has added nothing to our understanding of human character.
>>
>>23538168
So any reason to read him or is he just a figure of is time? Is he funny, at least?
>>
>>23538168
This is horrendous bait.
>>
Reasons to read him:
Funny as fuck
Every book has a cast of memorable characters
Once his plots get started, they zoom along like thrillers
His set pieces prose showreels are as good as any writer
Reasons not to read him:
Long as shit
He doesn't really bother with any serious philosophical or thematic depth
Can get over cutesy sometimes

He's essentially a crowd pleasing comedian, not an artist or a thinker. Charlie Chaplin not Carl Dreyer.
Up to you if that's good or bad
>>
>>23538287
>He's essentially a crowd pleasing comedian, not an artist
Retard
>>
>>23538168
>the Nabokov fag found new bait
>>
>>23537962
If Shakespeare and Swift had a child the result would be Dickens.
>>
>>23538287
>I-is that... artistry and subtlety?
>Where's the heckin philosophical monologues??
>Why can't I solve this book like a math equation???
>AHHHH NOT ART IT'S NOT ART
>>
>>23538294
nta but I agree, Dickens was the 19th century equivalent of JK Rowling, not a great artist. He is a good writer, but not a genius by any means. Can't say I've read all of Dickens, but my favorite is Pickwick Papers; it's funny, entertaining, comfy, about three middle-aged men wandering around England and getting into jams and such. That's the only one I've bothered to reread.
>>
>>23538659
Curious about your idea of what makes a great artist or who a great artist is in your opinion. You can say Homer was a poor artist by your criteria.
>>
>>23538659
I think the opposite. I would say that Dickens in a good write but a great artist.
>>
>>23537962
Max Lawton loves Dickens
>>
>>23538729
He has good taste
>>
>>23538182
If we might hazard a definition of his literary character, we should, accordingly, call him the greatest of superficial novelists.
>>
>>23538287
Reading this description reminded me of Balzac quite a bit, specifically these points
>Funny as fuck
>Every book has a cast of memorable characters
>Once his plots get started, they zoom along like thrillers
>His set pieces prose showreels are as good as any writer
>Can get over cutesy sometimes
but the Frenchman obviously has philosophical and thematic depth.
>>
>>23538722
You know it when you see it. I'd say a proper great writer should be intellectually challenging. Dickens didn't have any ideas besides poverty is bad, debt prisons are bad.
>>
>>23538876
There's a sort of genius in how shallow Dickens is. There's isn't anything there that might challenge an uneducated victorian factory worker, but there is still enough talent to make it worth while. If you self consciously tried to aim a book at the widest possible audience you'd never manage something as good as Dickens managed - you couldn't fake Dickens.
And the odd thing is that his influences, Cervantes, Fielding, Goldsmith, are very clever and tricksy and play all sorts of self reflexive games Dickens never does - he means it all. The orphan girl isn't a cliche for him, he want you to take it as real, to feel it.
He's such a bizarre personality. You'd say he was cynically commercial, but he's not cynical, that's really who he is
>>
>>23538876
Eh that's lame reasoning. Might as well deem Hegel the pinnacle of literature. He inspired Tolstoy, Hugo, Nabokov, Twain, Poe, Faulkner, etc. for a reason.
>>
Dickens wrote approachable literature which spoke to the issues of his day. Reading him was never painful, but while most of his characters are solid, only a few really ascend into something I can care about (Sydney Carton in ATOTC was the standout).

He deserves his reputation as an icon of his age, but I don't think he holds up. Honestly, I doubt that would surprise his contemporaries, or even him. He's the father of middlebrow literature, and at this points he's a historical figure more than a literary one.
>>
>>23539056
Who is highbrow?
>>
>>23539098
You are such a faggot.
>>
>>23539101
>I get filtered by Dickens
>So this means he's middlebrow
>He would definitely agree with me guys, this isn't really that controversial
Yeah I'm the faggot
>>
bump
>>
>>23540580
>>
>>23542145
>>
>>23537962
Dickens is a man of great literary merit. A man who had his finger on the pulse of English society. You have no understanding of Englishness if you haven't read Dickens. When most people think of Victorian England, they view it through the eyes of Dickens that's how influential he is, not Thomas Hardy or even George Eliot. Dickens' greatest novel is easily David Copperfield although the best one to start with is A Christmas Carol or Oliver Twist.
>>23538287
>Implying Chaplin wasn't an artist or a thinker
Holy fucking shit. Tell someone you haven't seen City Lights or Modern Times without telling me you haven't seen either.
>>
>>23537962
He's everything GRRM wished he could be. Able to write complex, consulted plots and characters with surprise twists, and actually finish them with a satisfying ending.
>>
>>23538287
Charlie Chaplin wrote his own work with plenty of thought behind it. Dreyer was a talented filmmaker but he only ever adapted plays novels that he liked.
>>
Ive only read Our Mutual Friend. It was overly long, the social commentary too on the nose (Fledgeby is a cartoon vilain, Riah a stereotypical al meek Jew who is supposed to be Dicken's apology for all the villainous Jews he's written even though Riah is definitely not a good man on closer inspection), fulm of tropes of the period (the hero was in disguise all along), changes tone halfway through (Boffin was obviously rewritten. Some anon here once said that his publisher forced him to make these changes as well as the sentinmental, feel-good ending. There's brief glimpses of literary genius though such as the resuscitation of Riderhood.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.