[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/lit/ - Literature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 0.jpg (21 KB, 200x247)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Should writing fiction be enjoyable or should it be a pain in the ass?
>>
>>23538302
Why would you do it if it's not enjoyable?
>>
the author needs to suffer, only through suffering is greatness created
>>
>>23538344
This. No pressure, no diamonds.
Writing shit because you "like to" produces some of the most mediocre shit imaginable.
>>
>>23538302
Why is there a swastika on that Mädel's hat?
>>
>>23538488
Mind your business.
>>
Some people like the process. I don't think you can be a writer and not, in some way, like the process as well as the result. I do find that process lovers who don't care as much for the result write some heinous shit, because they're just blindly gabbing and not listening to what is spilling out.
>>
>>23538344
>>23538346
The suffering that produces good writing doesn't come from the actual process of writing itself, Houellebecq.
>>
>>23538500
True. The suffering creates good ideas before you've even thought of writing. I hate the process of sitting down and achieving some retarded 1000 word daily milestone, but will gladly suffer through more pain to come up with a good plot, one that justifies me sticking to that boring routine. For some people, their only way of exploring ideas is by writing them down as opposed to having already developed them before you start writing. This kind of suffer-scribing applies to them
>>
I think if a book wasn't enjoyable to write it's not going to be enjoyable to read. Readers can sense when a writer doesn't have love and passion for their subject.
>>
>>23538530
A book can be difficult to write and edit, stretching the limit of what a writer is capable of. Some are easy and flow, others resist creation. I find that if it's something I would truly want to read, that captivates me in a certain way and does things I like books to do, it's a massive pain in the dick.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.